Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-20-2002, 01:14 AM

DJ88 is on a distinguished road
Default Brad!

I need a precise description of what happend when your clams started "going".

ASAP please.

Steve can you call him and get him to post???? I need it please..

[ 19 July 2002, 21:16: Message edited by: DJ88 ]
Old 07-20-2002, 01:38 AM

Default Brad!

^

Anyone who has lost a clam.. can you give me a description of waht it goes through..

my black max hasn't been opening fully all after noon. now the purple is looking shriveled and started sticking out a part of itself like in the picture that follows.. anyone???

temp swings in the last few weeks has been between 79 and 82. rest of the tank looks fine.

[ 19 July 2002, 21:47: Message edited by: DJ88 ]
Old 07-20-2002, 01:45 AM

Default Brad!

Is this normal????

[ 19 July 2002, 22:18: Message edited by: DJ88 ]
Old 07-20-2002, 02:23 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus
Default Brad!

THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT MINE WAS DOING!!!

NOBODY had any useful info for me. Nobody.

My clam lasted about 1.5 weeks after I first noticed that. Eventually .... you will not like the outcome. I'm sorry.
Old 07-20-2002, 08:20 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus
Default Brad!

Have you posted in the clam forum at RC yet? I did and got nothing useful out of it, but maybe since you have PICTURES it will trigger some responses.

It seems to me this is part of the byssal gland. As to why it would do this, is completely beyond my speculations. The only thing I can think of, is that I had had some uncontrolled temp spikes a few weeks prior, and I subjectively felt that ever after since that, that the clam had not been expanding its mantle as much as it was prior to the spike. But why would this lead to the gland sticking out the inhalant siphon, and why would this happen a few weeks later (as opposed to right away)?

Or is it the byssal gland, maybe it is something else.

At any rate I was at a complete loss ... I did not know what to do, so I left it alone, continued feeding DT's, etc. But unfortunately, one day, poof, it was gone. So leaving it alone wasn't good enough ... There were no clues the day before that it was out to blink out (other than the lack of expansion for the few weeks prior). Just a nasty surprise one morning. :(

Good luck. And if you find anything out, please let me know too. I really, really would like to know the cause of this phenomenon..
Old 07-21-2002, 03:03 AM

reefburnaby is on a distinguished road
Default Brad!

Hi,

Is the clam still attached to the rock (i.e. is the foot in good condition) ?

Have you considered a antibiotic treatment (I am not a big fan...but it helps in unknown/last attempt to help)

- Victor.
Old 07-21-2002, 05:05 PM
Gold Member

One_Divided is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to One_Divided
Default Brad!

Darren, I'm unhappy to report that my maxima has shown the same symptom today... It stuck out the "white thing" for about 20 seconds.. Keep us updated on how yours is doing and any info you find.. I should note that about a week ago my clam decided it didn't like the rock it was on.. It slowly moved along till it fell a few inches on to the sandbed. He's looked happy as can be untill today..

[ 21 July 2002, 13:09: Message edited by: One_Divided ]
Old 07-21-2002, 08:34 PM

Default Brad!

Victor,

I have tried placing BOTH of my maxs on rocks. In different places of my tank. They both jumped back to the sandbed where they are now. I gave up helping them find a rock to live on.

I don't want to medicate at all. I don't have a Q tank to do this in and am NOT going to medicate my main tank at all.

Adma,

Mine is gaping a bit right now.. but both have thier mantles out normally. no more sticking its "tongue" out.

We will see.
Old 07-21-2002, 10:36 PM
Gold Member

One_Divided is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to One_Divided
Default Brad!

hmm interesting.. I wonder why they perfer to move to the sandbed..

Well I haven't seen the "tongue" since this morning. I guess I'll just keep an eye on him and see how he's doin.
Old 07-22-2002, 02:13 AM

canadawest is on a distinguished road
Default Brad!

Darren if you want to medicate my 12gal Eclipse tank is up and running with no livestock in it (save a couple snails and crabs). Temps are always stable at 80F, and the water params are good, save a bit of nitrate.

If the medication wont permanently affect the rock or sand in my tank, you're welcome to bring them both by, plop them in for a while on whatever meds you think will help.

Only down side is it's only lit by a single 13W 7100K PC lamp, so I don't know if it's the best place for clams, but drastic times sometimes call for drastic measures.