Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 10-21-2011, 11:27 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Picked up a few buckets of live rock tonight (thanks Andrew!). Time to let it percolate. This was a great chance to leak test half my sump I guess... until this morning I hadn't done so lol. I'm hoping the other side performs as well!

I've decided to compromise and do some dead rock as well since I landed a large quantity of live rock which should help settle the dead stuff. I'll see if I can snap any pictures through the front window of my mystery rock guy's place when I go pillage his secret surplus.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:32 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

My new pet arrived today! I want to thank Concept Aquatics for hooking me up with this big piece of sexy. It's the Deltec TC 2560. I'll review it once it's under a load... the new twin chamber design (hidden behind the bubbles) looks interesting.

I had to makeshift a valved end to cap the feed and toss a riser on the output so it didn't leak all over the place. I still made a nice mess before she was water-tight lol.

This is just a vinegar cleaning but the bubbles are tiny as FRAG. Can't wait to plumb this into my rock. My sump is going to be a self-contained (and over-skimmed) system for the next month or so.

Here's all the rock I ended up sourcing (about 250lbs no room for even one more piece in here).

Last edited by lastlight; 10-27-2011 at 01:38 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:09 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Bazinga!
Old 10-27-2011, 03:02 AM

jorjef is on a distinguished road

There's not even water in the tank yet and my envy level is maxed out!! Looks great!
Old 10-27-2011, 05:43 AM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Is that your son? Why isn't he wearing a child size fishbrains T?

Can't wait to see your tank in operation. Looking good so far.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 10-27-2011, 06:08 AM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

that's brilliant. I'm really interested in the Deltec SC2560, I'm really interested in how the TC works out for you
Old 10-27-2011, 09:37 PM

Hustler is on a distinguished road

I love that it looks like a doctors office back there.... And that skimmer..... wow.... Ive been following closely
Old 10-28-2011, 07:31 AM
Gold Member

Thanks guys =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustler View Post
I love that it looks like a doctors office back there.... And that skimmer..... wow.... Ive been following closely
I think it's more hospitalish if that's a word. Put all the vinyl baseboards in tonight to complete that look lol.

First a shot of the canopy with the new doors on. These were painful to do since I had to scribe the profile of my hinges into both the canopy and the doors to achieve a flush-mount door and avoid seeing a hinge on the face of my doors. I then used wood-filler over the door side of the hinges and painted them up. My drop ceiling will cover the upper part of the hinges.

Had to mount 2x4s to the door panels to straighten them out. The added weight causes the doors to hang slightly ajar which will actually be nice so they don't magnet shut until I want them to.

Here are the push/release magnets that will allow the doors to shut flush:

I measured the door cuts carefully to maintain the scribe-spacing. I will be installing an inner trim to the canopy frame behind the doors to block light from escaping.

My blue mixing drum is currently upstairs next to my fridge to hold all my ro/di water for the current tank. The room on the opposite side of my basement is so full of junk I can't even walk more than 2 feet into it. I can access the two other stacked water drums on the other side of my laundry tub from that room and plumbing all that into the fish room has to wait until I clean and reno that side.

My dry goods shelf and the dosing shelf. My profilux doser will sit on top. Space is tight in the room and I need some flat working space near my sink so I'll be installing a sheet of plywood that can flip up when not in use soon.

Plumbing is nearly done. I need to grab some 3/4" pipe to install the 3 gate valves that will run my media reactors. There's also a line that feeds into where the rock is (my reservoir I'll empty for water changes) and a valved line off the drain that will feed my skimmer. You'll notice metal gear clamps on the rubber sleeve I used to mount to the silly adapter that come with all the laguna pumps. These won't be submerged as the water on that side of my sump will be quite shallow. If anyone knows where I can get plastic clamps though please let me know!

Looking down the back corridor again:

Very simple returns! I have some sch 80 elbows to add on but I have no idea where my water level will be so those will go on once the tank is filled. They'll probably not be glued so I can aim or modify them if needed down the road.

Last edited by lastlight; 10-28-2011 at 07:46 AM.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:11 PM

jorjef is on a distinguished road

Okay I could be off the 404 bandwagon. This last group of pictures has brought to light a very serious issue that could bring into question the sanity of this whole build. How can a person feel at ease with all the designing and constuction of the tank and wonder if it will come to be knowing now, and don't try to hide it the proof is right there under your sink.... you drink PEPSI !!
Old 10-28-2011, 12:39 PM
Gold Member

People that know me well understand that diet pepsi and myself are two peas in a pod. Go back through my builds the evidence is compelling my mini fridge will likely go where that case is. Half for pepsi and half for frozen food lol. Although... So far that cold floor is doing one hell of a job!