Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 02-14-2019, 04:34 AM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road
Question What Heaters are You Running?

I am just wondering what people are using for heaters these days with all the new technology out there. It seems the heaters are one of the pieces of equipment which we all depend on but really seem to have fallen behind.

I am currently running titanium heaters for a year and recently had one fail. Luckily it didn’t stick on, rather the controller displayed heating but the titanium rod itself was cold to touch. I have also used eheim Jager heaters, other then the length they seemed to be fine. I’m just looking for feedback on if it’s really worth paying double the price for titanium heaters or just use redundancy on cheaper heaters. In my case if the titanium heaters aren’t going to last it may be worth replacing the eheim or similar heaters which are considerably less money
Old 02-14-2019, 05:13 AM
Gold Member

Frogger is on a distinguished road

As I have had a heater fail and somewhat fry my tank I now run multiple smaller heaters on a separate controller to avoid that problem again. Both the controller and heater thermostat would have to fail. With smaller 100 watt heaters one broken heater shouldn't be able to increase the temperature too quick in the tank.

From what I have heard is you should replace heaters once every couple years. I primarily use 100 watt eheim jager heaters and by a bunch of them when they go on sale on Boxing day.

Last edited by Frogger; 02-14-2019 at 05:15 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:18 AM

H2o2 is on a distinguished road
Default Heaters

I went to titanium even though they are more money and occasionally they fail but I have had 2-Pro 250 W bust open and take out almost all of my corals. It could have been a power spike but the titanium 1 I had was fine , so even if they fail they don’t crack open I hope and put what ever that stuff is into my tank.
They all make me nervous a bit like you said
Old 02-14-2019, 02:29 PM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogger View Post
As I have had a heater fail and somewhat fry my tank I now run multiple smaller heaters on a separate controller to avoid that problem again. Both the controller and heater thermostat would have to fail. With smaller 100 watt heaters one broken heater shouldn't be able to increase the temperature too quick in the tank.

From what I have heard is you should replace heaters once every couple years. I primarily use 100 watt eheim jager heaters and by a bunch of them when they go on sale on Boxing day.
I was leaning toward this idea, I have a 300g so I was thinking of buying maybe the 200w or 250w but a bunch of them with a separate controller. I just look at the price being more then 2x for titanium...ugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2o2 View Post
I went to titanium even though they are more money and occasionally they fail but I have had 2-Pro 250 W bust open and take out almost all of my corals. It could have been a power spike but the titanium 1 I had was fine , so even if they fail they don’t crack open I hope and put what ever that stuff is into my tank.
They all make me nervous a bit like you said
I agree that the titanium tube itself will stand the test of time, however is it worth the money when they will all fail? I guess maybe I have been lucky but I have never had a glass eheim Jager break on me.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:01 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

I have 2 X Finnex 500W Titanium heaters, with electronic temp control & Guard. For $56 each, you can't go wrong for the price. Although I have usually used them with apex control, I have also used the 150W version on my nano with just their electronic control, and it stays pretty consistent. I have been running all of these on all my systems now for about 3 years and all of them still work well.

I heard that the Cobalt Neo-Therms are very reliable, however at their price point, you could buy 3-4 of the titaniums for that price.

I really think that the Titanium run by an aquarium controller is the way to go.

They call it addiction for a reason...
Old 02-14-2019, 04:56 PM

Ace Storman is on a distinguished road

I have 1 Finnex 500W Titanium heater, with electronic temp control head. I use it as a complete standalone setup, but plug the head into my apex power bar. I set the outlet so that it will turn off should the water temp rise above 2 degrees. Just a bit of a safety feature.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:38 PM
Gold Member

Frogger is on a distinguished road

I have a Finnex controller and it runs 6 degrees off right out of the box. It is great at controlling the temperature steady but don't trust the reading. I currently have it set at 84 degrees. I keep all my tanks at 78. I use a Vee Gee digital thermometer to check the precise temperature in all my tanks twice a week. I have done this after I had false readings from glass thermometers and fried a bunch of acropora and killed some fish (lack of O2).
Old 02-14-2019, 06:50 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogger View Post
I have a Finnex controller and it runs 6 degrees off right out of the box. It is great at controlling the temperature steady but don't trust the reading. I currently have it set at 84 degrees. I keep all my tanks at 78. I use a Vee Gee digital thermometer to check the precise temperature in all my tanks twice a week. I have done this after I had false readings from glass thermometers and fried a bunch of acropora and killed some fish (lack of O2).
This is why you can never really trust anything out of the box to be honest. I will always go with the titanium element with an external control source.

BRS Investigates actually just had a great video about this. They investigated a bunch of different options. Their best option was the Aquacontroller with a titanium element. You should check it out, it was a good watch.

They call it addiction for a reason...
Old 02-14-2019, 07:36 PM

gmann is on a distinguished road

was running 2 x 500 W heaters on a DA controller on big tank

now running aqueon preset heater on frag tank with thermometer for reference check
Old 02-15-2019, 02:15 AM

babnika is on a distinguished road

4x300w eheim controlled by apex. old school but I haven't found anything better

Tags
controller, glass, heater, temperature, titanium