Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 12-20-2013, 03:20 PM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road
Default School closures across BC

I rarely watch the news preferring to get my news online this morning I was watching the News Channel and an alert popped up on the news ticker saying schools are closed across BC due to heavy snowfall. Go online and apparently BC just includes the Lower mainland as almost every school in the lower mainland is closed. As per usually if you live in the Land beyond Hope you aren't in BC anymore

And for the record the lower mainland is the only place in Canada where people donot know how to winter drive if they get 2cm of snow it really does shut down the whole lower mainland.

Sorry it annoyed and entertained me to see "SCHOOL CLOSURES ACROSS BC" in the news ticker only to find out its just (edit) and area. I guess we aren't part of BC in the eyes of the newsworld or the lower mainland.

Last edited by christyf5; 12-22-2013 at 11:50 PM. Reason: edited, slurs arent necessary
Old 12-20-2013, 04:36 PM
Follows the rules!

Coasting is on a distinguished road

Hey now hold on..... You should have seen how bad everyone was driving where i live on the island.... Mind you the average age of everyone there is around 80... Nobody would go over 10km/hr when we got a delicate icing sugar like dusting 2 weeks ago.... Wasnt even sticking to the roads but holey panic!
But yep.. Its a disaster down here in poco.... Think theres about 3".... Its quite fun to watch everyone panic and spin out.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:32 PM

don.ald is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coasting View Post
Hey now hold on..... You should have seen how bad everyone was driving where i live on the island.... Mind you the average age of everyone there is around 80... Nobody would go over 10km/hr when we got a delicate icing sugar like dusting 2 weeks ago.... Wasnt even sticking to the roads but holey panic!
But yep.. Its a disaster down here in poco.... Think theres about 3".... Its quite fun to watch everyone panic and spin out.
Hey take that back...we go 10Km/hr here on the island all the time. Snow has nothing to do with it!
Old 12-20-2013, 05:50 PM

Borderjumper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by don.ald View Post
Hey take that back...we go 10Km/hr here on the island all the time. Snow has nothing to do with it!

YEAH!!! And I won't be 80 for another couple of years!
Old 12-20-2013, 07:21 PM
Follows the rules!

Coasting is on a distinguished road

Hey now i wasnt talking about you south islanders!
And you vic people only seem to go 10 when im trying to leave the city lol.

Seems the only schools to close in the lowermainland were the private and religious schools.... They always wuss out and close.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:17 PM

toxic111 is on a distinguished road

Back in my day (not that long ago) schools did not close for 3" of snow & people could drive in it. I notice that people from Sask or ab can't drive in LM snow at all. I learned to drive in that snow. So I can handle anything here in SK. Oh & out here 3" of snow is a dusting.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:29 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

I attended a couple of years high school in the wonderful community of Medley, the on base housing for military families in Cold Lake. Remember walking to school one morning in the winter (about a 15 minute walk) and when I arrived it was closed. So I walked back home. Apparently it was -80 with wind chill, but they forgot to tell some of us. Not closed for snow, but extreme cold, so kind of same idea.

Nowadays I whine & don't go skiing when it's -10 or colder. Can't imagine living in Cold Lake anymore. Cheers to all you hardy folks up there.

Last edited by mike31154; 12-20-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:38 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Felicia's elementary school in Burnaby was open. We had pyjama and pancake day at the school, which was a lot of fun.

Then, after school, we built an igloo that all four of us can fit into.

Anthony
Old 12-22-2013, 03:52 PM

skabooya is on a distinguished road

I live way up in Kitimat BC. We had to close our schools because the snow caused accidents which helped people run into powerlines which took out the power to the city lol. The kids were sent home and Teachers were forced to stay in a cold school until regular ending time. No power from 9am-1pm. It got chilly in there.