Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > Reef Supplies

Old 07-05-2015, 03:50 PM
Vendor

Reef Supplies is on a distinguished road
Question Dosing Skimmate - Are we over skimming?

So we had a discussion at the shop this past Friday with some clients concerning DOSING SKIMMATE. Its apparently all the rage on RC.

One of our clients has been having great success by dosing some skimmate back into his tank. He swears that his corals are in the best shape they have ever been.

Skimmers have improved tremendously in the pas few years. Most people are buying skimmers rated for 2+ Times their volume.

I see how this would benefit. If you have a low bio-load and you are skimming the crap out of it, you are likely starving your coral unless you compensate with "coral food".

Pleas discuss. I'll be back later tonight...of to a Sunday lunch at moms.

Ray

http://www.reefsupplies.ca
Old 07-05-2015, 04:00 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Interesting topic, although I would lean towards lack of skimmer efficiency being under considered. Even with a BK skimmer on not enough water, I don't feel I'm pulling enough.
But let's assume this is a sound theory. Would it not be easier to put skimmer on a timer? I suppose pump restart issues would need to be considered, I know lots of people warn me with the BK to never turn off the pump
If you dosed skimmate back, would you dilute it? Is there toxicity concerns over concentrated skimmate? Dunno.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:02 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Not sure why they just don't cut back on skimming. Im not dumping that stinking crap back into my tank...
Is that not why we dose amino acids? Does heavy feeding, which is good for the fishes, do the same?
Seems so many better ways. Cant argue with someone having success doing it however.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:28 PM

Bugger is an unknown quantity at this point

That's so dumb leave it to the rc crowd to figure something like this out. My secret to my tank is urinating in my tank. I do it all the time troll troll troll
Old 07-05-2015, 06:44 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I watched this discussion on RC. I suggested a timer on the skimmer too. The OP of this method suggested he figured the skimmer pulled all the skimmate back out again within a couple hours. He swears it's better than feeding the fish more, but I don't know...there's lots of unwanted crap in skimmate too.

SPS fanatic.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:46 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Also, for those dosing stuff to floc PO4, you'd then be dosing it back in, right?
Old 07-05-2015, 07:11 PM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

I suppose this would mean their skimmers are working at 100% efficiency and no longer need carbon or GFO and the like. Sounds like my car, it gets such good gas mileage that the gas tank overflows when I'm driving down the highway. If the skimmer continues to pull out gunk then obviously there is still organic material in the water. I wouldn't purposely add concentrated pollutants to my tank. Skim less or feed more if it's that big of a problem.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:18 AM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Would it not make sense just to dose amino acids and cv.

Skimmate would not be consistent at all
Old 07-06-2015, 05:34 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

don't want to use a timer as your skimmer is adding O2 to your water also. people have had mysterious fish deaths and discovered it was due to the O2 levels dropping when there skimmer was off at night.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:44 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
don't want to use a timer as your skimmer is adding O2 to your water also. people have had mysterious fish deaths and discovered it was due to the O2 levels dropping when there skimmer was off at night.

Steve
Yes, I did mention this potential issue in my suggestion to the OP on RC.

SPS fanatic.