Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 05-16-2015, 11:31 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough
Default Let's talk about "health-conscious" beer

I try to eat "health conscious". I read labels, and pick brands of foods that have better ingredients. We don't eat a lot of bread or grains in general. If we eat corn, I make sure it's non-GMO.

So, awhile back I learned about some of these not-so-nice ingredients in beer, and recently I was just thinking, what's the point of all my health-conscious grocery shopping when all bets are off at the beer store?! I don't drink a lot of beer, but still...

I took a gander at some information online and found my favorite crap beers (Molson Coors Light and Molson Pilsner) have GMO corn in them. I've tried some "different" beers and really don't like anything too artisan-like such as microbrewery beers, etc. In my hunting-about I found that aside from buying organic beer (a sure shot at health consciousness), German beer is a good choice as they are quite strict about beer ingredients in Germany.

Heineken is a brand that stood out in the health conscious mentions I read. I bought a single today. Heineken is from Holland, I'm Dutch. It really should be a great choice for me. I must say...the Dutch should stick to growing flowers!

Anyone here have a favorite "health conscious" beer that I should try?

SPS fanatic.

Old 05-16-2015, 11:43 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I would drink whatever was good. Been eating GMOs forever, still alive.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:45 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

If I were to drink a beer, it would be Corona. It makes me happy, and when I'm happy, I do more, and doing more is healthier than doing less. Therefore Corona = healthy.
But I don't drink. So I'll leave now...
Old 05-16-2015, 11:49 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

I make my own at home from Cooper's concentrate kits. Another good reason to have an RO system & a CO2 tank.

What's the beef with micro breweries? They generally abide by the German purity law of 1516, restricting ingredients & no funky additives. Okanagan Spring brewery is my go to label when I run out of home brew. Most if not all their beer follows the 1516 law, they even have a beer named 1516. Besides that, it's a local Vernon brewery & I like to support my local businesses. It was one of the early entries in the craft brewing industry in BC. Sold to Sleeman of Ontario years ago which is now owned by Sapporo, Japan! Fortunately the new corporate owners have left things alone with regard to the actual brews produced here.

Belgian beer is pretty good as well. When I lived in Ottawa my local pub the Royal Oak had a good selection of Stella Artois on hand. During my years in Europe, I had the opportunity to visit the Stella brewery in Liege. Most European brews, including the Dutch are generally pretty good, trouble is, you need to be in the country to get the really good stuff. Most of the beer they export, like Heineken, has preservatives since they don't want to take a chance of it spoiling due to lengthy shipping & storage.

Last edited by mike31154; 05-16-2015 at 11:54 PM.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
What's the beef with micro breweries?
I don't like the taste. I'll check out some of your suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
If I were to drink a beer, it would be Corona.
That's like the king of bad beers.

SPS fanatic.

Old 05-17-2015, 12:56 AM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
That's like the king of bad beers.
Lucky I don't drink then!
Old 05-17-2015, 02:50 AM

Slick Fork is on a distinguished road

Micro-brews are all a little different and you really do have to just look until you find what you like, but once you find one you like you'll find it hard to believe that you actually ever enjoyed a Molson product.

Try Steamwhistle, I have a lot of friends that 'enjoy' Molson & Budweiser etc. who like Steamwhistle so it might work for you.
Old 05-17-2015, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Fork View Post
Try Steamwhistle, I have a lot of friends that 'enjoy' Molson & Budweiser etc. who like Steamwhistle so it might work for you.
I have tried this one before, and I don't like it. Thanks for your suggestion though!! I have tried a lot of microbrewery beers, and haven't found anything remotely to my taste.

SPS fanatic.

Old 05-17-2015, 03:21 AM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

I typically don't like home made beer, personally. I'm not a micro-brewery beer guy either. There's just something about the aftertaste I just don't enjoy. But strangely enough I drink Corona Extra and Kokanee.
But... I have to admit, there's a micro brewery beer made on Granville Island that's actually pretty good. Not sure if you can find it in Saskatchewan though.
Old 05-17-2015, 03:26 AM

Wretch is on a distinguished road

One of my favourites right now is Deschutes. They are from Oregon with a wide selection beers. Should be able to find something you like.