Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 05-20-2015, 01:23 PM

dino is on a distinguished road

Everyone should try INNIs &GUNN its won lots of awards and it's put into scotch barrels so you get a little of that flavor its amazing other than that I like miller
Old 05-20-2015, 01:42 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Well, I decided to take the advice of you guys suggesting the microbrewers. I found 3 local microbrewers, and two of them have a lager. So I will go try them out. If I don't find anything there, I will see what I can find for organic beers - just gotta find a decent beer store around here...

SPS fanatic.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:44 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I consider myself fairly health conscious, eating fresh whole foods, not really anything processed. I buy bison and grass fed beef, simply due to the Omega 3 profile vs grain fed meat. I buy regular chicken, because that's what I can afford and organic tastes like crap I buy wild salmon, again due to Omega content vs grain fed dyed farmed salmon.
I also fully support GMO agriculture, and agree with "them" that it's not harmful.

We've been modifying genes in agriculture for 10k years, and now that we do it in a lab vs the field just makes it more efficient and allows us to further yields and target pest control.

I also don't want to live under my bed afraid of everything outside, and if I'm going to drink a beer, it's based solely on taste. "If" there's anything terrible in it, my body is really good at removing things it doesn't need. Although an altered protein in an ingredient simply breaks down into amino acids once I've digested it, and I use what I need and pass through what I don't. This is true of all macro nutrients, proteins carbs and fats. Eating bread and eating a yam both result in glucose entering the blood stream. Some slight timing differences in insulin response, but as far as the body is concerned, bread and broccoli are the same macro. Yes, one has additional micro nutrients and enzymes, but that doesn't make the other inherently bad.

However, having had this argument on nutrition boards all too often, people believe what they believe and there's seldom changes in thinking. I hope you find a healthier beer
+1
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
What's the beef with micro breweries? They generally abide by the German purity law of 1516, restricting ingredients & no funky additives. Okanagan Spring brewery is my go to label when I run out of home brew. Most if not all their beer follows the 1516 law, they even have a beer named 1516. Besides that, it's a local Vernon brewery & I like to support my local businesses. It was one of the early entries in the craft brewing industry in BC. Sold to Sleeman of Ontario years ago which is now owned by Sapporo, Japan!
your the first person I know of that admits to drinking Okanagan springs

Seriously though Myka, be carful when looking at the micro breweries, most are not following the law of 1516 (which only Germany has to follow) as the latest trend is putting different stuff in beer, and than god because plain old pilsner is so darn, well just plain. and I am German from a very German family. I like the variety, and if your worried about what is in the beer, I think your worries are a little misplaced. your looking for bad things in alcohol, where the booze isn't the best thing for us anyways?

when looking at the micro breweries (which is where it is at) and there are so many good ones, which Okanagan springs isn't even close to being on the ranking list (sorry Mike) the stay to there pilsners. some will be more hoppy than others but if it is just a plain pilsner then there all pretty much the same. Phillips makes 78 which is there lightest beer. I myself have been indulging in big rock brewery lately, in the spring/summer they release purple gas (Saskatoon infused beer) I also like the black betty (blackberry infused) by Vancouver island brewery and Grandville island makes a raspberry ale. honey lagers pumpkin beer, lions winter ale, and on and on are the kinds of things that are making beer exciting. now they aren't for everyone, but if you see taster tables set up try them, or go on brewery tours to try some of them.

most important is to have fun with your beer

PS. I saw you talking about tester packs, most of the micro breweries will put out mixed packs, as long as your other half will drink what you don't like you can't go wrong with those haha that's how I started. Phillips has one, Big rock has one, and there are a few others I see out here all the time.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Last edited by StirCrazy; 05-20-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:13 PM

Wretch is on a distinguished road

You may also want to try New Belgiums Fat Tire amber ale.

Flavour: Toasty malt, gentle sweetness, flash of fresh hop bitterness. The malt and hops are perfectly balanced.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:07 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
your the first person I know of that admits to drinking Okanagan springs

Seriously though Myka, be carful when looking at the micro breweries, most are not following the law of 1516 (which only Germany has to follow) as the latest trend is putting different stuff in beer, and than god because plain old pilsner is so darn, well just plain.
Steve
No problem admitting to drinking a well crafted product from my local brewery. I find it tasty, to each his own I guess. I like being unique, but you may need to expand your horizons a bit if you've not come across anyone else but me who admits to drinking Okanagan Spring beer. The fact they added capacity recently, seems to indicate I'm not the only one enjoying it. I don't see the folks in the beer store buying OK Springs hiding their faces & rushing home to stash away the brew, lest someone recognize them. It doesn't make your list, but apparently it has some merit to folks who may know a bit about beer.

http://okspring.com/news/okanagan-sp...-second-place/

As far as the 1516 law goes, even German brewers are no longer bound by it. Read the full wiki article I linked to in an earlier post. It has been replaced by the Vorläufiges Biergesetz (Provisional Beer Law) of 1993 and although many brewers still claim to go by the 1516 law, it's mostly a marketing tool & you still need to read the label or do your research on any beer regardless of where it originates to verify the ingredients.

Last edited by mike31154; 05-20-2015 at 11:13 PM.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:12 AM

Rory is on a distinguished road

+1 on the innis & gunn! That's the kind of stuff dreams are made of!
Old 05-21-2015, 01:47 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Got to side with Mike there, that 1516 law is weee a bit outdated, pretty sure it was put in place to prevent substitutions for grains and hops which I imagine at the time in Germany were quite rare and expensive. Poison Ivy among other items were often substituted for hops for bitterness and an extra "kick", this was also of course toxic hence the the law. Now a days I'd like to think we have better standards in place plus being in the prairies no shortage of proper grains or hops. I will also point out that all the beers Steve recommended wouldn't meet the 1516 law since they all have fruit in them, which I find strange. What's up with the fruity beers Steve?

I do agree that the worst thing in beer is definitely the alcohol, which would essentially trump any of the "undesired" ingredients. Ultimately if you want healthy beer then you probably shouldn't drink beer or stick with non-alcoholic but where's the fun in that.

Lastly in regards to Okanagan Springs, it's comparable to Big Rock IMO which is no prize these days either. Both make decent beer but certainly not micro brew quality. Around here I find the best beer comes from Village and Last Best, both have awesome beer especially if you like IPAs.

So Steve, next time you're in town picking up purple gas, grab some village and last best.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:44 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Well, after getting my CO2 bottle back into commission for carbonation, it'll be home brew again. I have a few cans of 1516 ale in the fridge to enjoy & allow the home brew to age a bit longer. Bottom line, lists, awards, purity claims et al are fine as are recommendations, that's what the thread is all about. One bonus of this thread is that I discovered I can order a 'pig' from that little Sorrento organic brewery I mentioned in an earlier post. Don't need to wait until the next ski season to go to Long John's Pub up at Silver Star to enjoy a Backhand of God stout. They've been known to put some of their raspberry crop into a brew or two as well. Most important thing is your personal preference, if it tastes good to you, nothing else matters.

Last edited by mike31154; 05-21-2015 at 04:51 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
What's up with the fruity beers Steve?

So Steve, next time you're in town picking up purple gas, grab some village and last best.
needed a change from regular beers, can looked cool so I bought it haha. the purple gas was real good, probably the best of the fruity beers I have tried. the trick with big rock is to buy there limited runs.

the Black betty is a blackberry saison by Vancouver island breweries, and the
FALSE CREEK RASPBERRY ALE is by Grandville island breweries. both real nice on a hot day.

I do like the Lions winter ale by GIB, as well as a chestnut beer I found before Christmas, which has quickly become my favorite. I like to buy a 6 pack of something new every time I go to the liquor store. got to live on the edge and try stuff.

Steve