Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 02-10-2014, 06:33 PM

Adrenaline101 is on a distinguished road
Default Where to get glass in Calgary

Basically just as the title says. Looking to do some fiddling around, practise my cuts and maybe build a nano.
Anyone have any good suggestions on where to pick up 2 sheets (3'x3')of 4mm . In the South would be nice but can always make an excuse to go up north.

Sorry if this has been asked before, can't seem to use the search button on an Android.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:02 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

When I have wanted to build things out of glass in the past, I had sometimes used The Glass Guild. They are across from where Concept's used to be.

But I haven't DIY'd anything using glass in a while. It was before there was a place called Concepts. Honestly I would try with Concept first, if they can't help maybe try Bow Valley Aquarium (I assume they still exist???). The reason being is a tank builder moves so much glass they have access to way better wholesale pricing. The one thing that sticks out in memory from my DIY glass projects is that the retail price offered to walk-in customers was very expensive. Small pieces here and there might not be too bad overall but generally speaking when you get into big enough pieces to make actual aquariums out of, sometimes it's still cheaper to get the whole aquarium from a custom builder than it is to build yourself. So at the end of the day make sure you explore all your options before plunking down on something.

The other option is if you can get some salvage glass from somewhere .. bet you can get stuff cheap or even free if you knew where to look, but: 1) hopefully it is clean enough to use as an aquarium, and 2) sometimes old glass doesn't cut so nice so there's that, as well.

Not sure if this post helps you or not ... lol .. sorry..
Old 02-10-2014, 07:06 PM

Misses.ReefWars is on a distinguished road

yes you can have custom made glass cut for you through concept aquariums...give them a call...usually can have it the same day depending on rogers work load.

403-230-7831
Old 02-10-2014, 07:06 PM

SteveCGY is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
When I have wanted to build things out of glass in the past, I had sometimes used The Glass Guild. They are across from where Concept's used to be.

But I haven't DIY'd anything using glass in a while. It was before there was a place called Concepts. Honestly I would try with Concept first, if they can't help maybe try Bow Valley Aquarium (I assume they still exist???). The reason being is a tank builder moves so much glass they have access to way better wholesale pricing. The one thing that sticks out in memory from my DIY glass projects is that the retail price offered to walk-in customers was very expensive. Small pieces here and there might not be too bad overall but generally speaking when you get into big enough pieces to make actual aquariums out of, sometimes it's still cheaper to get the whole aquarium from a custom builder than it is to build yourself. So at the end of the day make sure you explore all your options before plunking down on something.

The other option is if you can get some salvage glass from somewhere .. bet you can get stuff cheap or even free if you knew where to look, but: 1) hopefully it is clean enough to use as an aquarium, and 2) sometimes old glass doesn't cut so nice so there's that, as well.

Not sure if this post helps you or not ... lol .. sorry..

Agreed, bow valley aquariums is still open and is actually where I just bought my new tank from. There prices are just unbeatable across alberta when I was looking for my new tank. When I looked for my new 24" cube all the quotes I got were anywhere from 3-700 and bow valley did it for $100 so it was a no brainier.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:39 PM

Willito is on a distinguished road

Bow Valley is the cheapest. Walk in, ask for what you want and walk home with some DIY glass.That easy.