Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 09-23-2013, 11:29 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

If I was to ever build another tank from scratch, I'd just cement everything together so it was "rock" solid. The whole make a jig saw puzzle sounds good in theory but IME it's always a constant battle of parts not going back together properly. Whether some support breaks or you move stuff around for whatever reason, it just gets f'd up. Pretty sure if my rocks couldn't move I'd have more hair and less broken objects in the tank vicinity
Old 09-24-2013, 12:17 PM

explor3r is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythanith View Post
Unfortunately I made a mistake when I posted that picture. That's the one I thought I was buying, but I was notified I bought the one in the picture below it. Still a cool hammer, but not as cool as the orange one!

So be it, you win some you lose some
Ahhh thats ok every specie is beautiful in its own way, I dont think no one loses
I love hammer and one of the few I have to get my hands on is the orange one but they come with a nice price tag
Old 09-24-2013, 12:34 PM

Scythanith is on a distinguished road

Thanks Steve. I want to rock to be very solid, hence the base & post structure I am dreaming up. It's more the coral that I wanted to be able to remove for trimming. Or are you suggesting even moving the coral is a bad idea?

Cheers,
Scott
Old 09-24-2013, 03:19 PM

I'm just saying from my experience once you remove rocks from the structure they don't go back in quite the same and any plastic rod system will probably eventually deform or break during the R/R process or the rock will crack/break around the drilled holes (it only takes one piece to screw the whole puzzle). Ultimately you end up with several rocks you've removed with established coral that won't go back in the structure in the same way they came out. Removing them is certainly ideal for trimming coral, cleaning or whatever but to me it's more trouble than it's worth. Better just to trim it in the tank but that's just me.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:30 PM

Gotcha. I was more concerned that I would put a coral frag in a poor location and have to move it. But I guess it wouldn't have encrusted into place by then anyways.

Thanks Steve!
Old 10-03-2013, 04:13 PM

Sleepy plug is tired....

Now it just needs it's friend to show up!
Old 10-09-2013, 05:49 AM

Say hello to sleepy plugs little friend! Big shout out to Jean-francois at Marinetech Inc., Michael at AquaDigital and Colby at Bayside Corals for bringing it all together!

And some more goodies showed up today!

There is a crap load of sensors and wiring to do now! I am fighting with one little hiccup. One of my overflow return pipes is ~11/32" too low and ~1/8" too short. I can't just move the sump closer since the second line is in a perfect location already. I will either: a) cut out the 45 elbow and move it back ~1/2" to gain the 11/32" in height, then add the 11/32" PLUS the 1/8" I am already short OR b) cut out a couple inch section along the middle and use a soft silicone hose to join the two, hoping the hose will allow for the variation.

Any suggestions?

Cheers!

Last edited by Scythanith; 10-09-2013 at 06:04 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:09 AM

Big shout out to Jean-francois at Marinetech Innovations Inc., Michael at AquaDigital and Colby at Bayside Corals for bringing it all together!

The first post locked in a couple minutes after posting it so I had to put my edited post here
Old 10-09-2013, 02:32 PM

Nice looking gear bud. If you need to extend your piping a bit why not use a rubber coupling?

Old 10-09-2013, 03:37 PM

I was hoping to avoid it for the simple reason I don't think it looks nice haahaa! I am afraid that even if I cut up what I currently have and try to get it perfect the connections will still be the tiniest bit off and have to use a coupler anyways. I guess it's just personal preference, but I don't want to hum and haw over a simple return pipe either!

Tags
abyzz, bubble king dc 250, mitras, profilux 3, reef