Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-08-2014, 02:29 AM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Good info, thanks guys!
Old 06-11-2014, 12:23 AM

Ryan7 is on a distinguished road

Have you considered powerhead and wrasse method?

I have AEFW in my 325G, there was no way I was going to take 30 plus colonies out and dip/frag them ect...

I have 2x 6line wrasses, melanarus, 3x blueside fairy, 3x lubbocks, 2x leopard.

Powerheading the colonies every chance I get, which ends up to be only once a week (not enought at first). Flatworms fly off and get eaten by the wrasses. So far I have noticed improvement in the colonies. On a few in particular the coral has healed where there had been bite marks, and no further signs of distress.

I have heard some of the great German tanks have had success with this also.

This may only be a means of control, but time will tell....
Old 06-11-2014, 12:30 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Not something I wanted to do. Not fond of wrasses, and I'm not going through the tank with a power head twice a week. And so far, it seems it was only 2 colonies that had any. Weird. But, it's an excuse to rebuild and the new tank will hopefully fulfill a vision I missed with the current tank.

I am willing to bet that if I had just left things alone, the corals would have been fine (mostly)
Old 06-11-2014, 03:41 PM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

I am really interested in doing some trials of various meds I have on hand to find a cure for AEFW's. Problem is I have no AEFW's. But I'd like to do it to contribute back to the hobby, and to make it safer for me to get frags in the future.

So far as I can see, there is no great financial incentive for any company to find a good cure for AEFW's, if there were, a cure would have been found.

My plan would be:

1. Choose prospective medications based on what is known about AEFW biology so far - already I have thought of a couple of candidates

2. Do efficacy assessments with AEFW's in a container of tank water to see if the med kills the AEFW's and at what dose

3. Do safety assessments by dipping a few frags for longer and longer periods of time to see if a med is tolerated and at what dose

4. If a compound passes test #2 but fails test #3, look for a related compound, or try to find a dose or combination of meds at lower doses that will work and be safe

If there is anyone with AEFW's in Vancouver who has an hour or two to experiment with AEFW treatments next time I am down there (preferably within 20-30 minutes of downtown on public transit) then lets experiment.
Herbie's silent overflow system
Jebao DC 12000 return pump
Jecod CP-40 Cross-flow circulation device
Mini Bubble King 180
Barr Aquatics calcium reactor
Bucket fuge
Old 06-11-2014, 06:43 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

You would also then need to test with other livestock. The problem isn't what kills them, it's what can kill them in-tank without killing everything else