Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 03-04-2013, 05:02 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road
Default Salifert test kits: good accuracy but terrible quality

So I spent $100 on getting Ca, Alk and Mg test kits from saliferts since I had to start dosing and need accurate values.

Well the accuracy is really good. I am very pleased with that. But I would say after spending $100 on three tests kits, I was expecting great quality.

Well, I have never written any review with such utter disgust but I have to write:

I have NEVER EVER seen such garbage quality stuff during my reefing. Even stuffs from generic non-brand chinese stuffs rank higher in my book than Salifert's equipments! The writings on the titration syringe went off after using few tests. Like seriously?!?!?! The markings on the syringe to pull out saltwater also going away. The droppers are worse than ever, particularly the bulky Ca solution. And about the number of tests written on it? Well I don't want to comment on it yet but I am 111100000% sure those numbers are lies.

Seriously, I have never ever ever been ****ed on any product! Even the test tubes and the droppers of APIs are much much better than these!

In the end, when I spend $100 for three test kits, I have the right to expect it to be top quality.

Salifert's quality is a piece of JUNK! Period!

Accuracy: 9/10 (the chart gives only the even number pointers; have to do average to get the values corresponding the odd number marks)
Quality: -100/10

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 03-04-2013, 06:04 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

By your tone, I'd guess you're unhappy with them?
Old 03-04-2013, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
By your tone, I'd guess you're unhappy with them?
Haha....you guess?

Well honestly they do what they are suppose to do very well but for $30 each test kit with like 50 tests, I wouldn't want syringes whose markings go away in like 10 tests and has water-unfriendly instruction paper; its just doesn't worth it! Red sea are pretty darn accurate as far I have heard and they give cool QUALITY stuffs for $50 including all big three!

I am pretty upset about the quality. Wasn't this much upset when I even bought Rio nano skimmer!

Old 03-04-2013, 06:14 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I guess they've gone downhill then, my kits never had that problem. I use Elos now though, and I'm happy with those.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I guess they've gone downhill then, my kits never had that problem. I use Elos now though, and I'm happy with those.
I will switch to red sea once I am finish using the ones I have already bought. The refills are a huge plus.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:50 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

must have gone downhill, they used to be one of the best kits to get. Personally accuracy is more important that quality. your not keeping it for ever, if you were like me you would keep it a couple months, nothing wore out or didn't work.....

to me I guess looking for quality in a disposable item is an oxymoron.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:40 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

there should be enough quality there for the markings to last as long as the disposable product is supposed to that's his point.

i've always been happy with elos.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:01 PM

Goatman is on a distinguished road

Salifert has always been hit or miss, they had substantial problems a few years ago. I use Elos or deltec....never had a problem. I never rely on one brand though.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
must have gone downhill, they used to be one of the best kits to get. Personally accuracy is more important that quality. your not keeping it for ever, if you were like me you would keep it a couple months, nothing wore out or didn't work.....

to me I guess looking for quality in a disposable item is an oxymoron.

Steve
Yah I am guessing new kits are garbage now. Accuracy are definitely important than quality that's for sure; its a test kit after all. But it should hold itself long enough for the test kit to finish at least! I am not asking it to be like indestructible or anything; just enough to finish the kit. If the quality of the markings are so bad and disappears after a couple of tests, I would say that's total garbage.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:58 PM

marie is on a distinguished road

Quality must of definitely gone downhill.
When I open a new test kit, I reuse the old syringes from 8 yrs ago and save the new syringes for stabbing aiptasia and squirting algae. All the marks are still readable after years of use.

I have never been able to like elos test kits and wouldn't recommend them to anybody

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252