Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-20-2014, 03:15 AM

FishingGoalie is on a distinguished road
Default Oh NoOooooooooooooo NOT AGAIN

Ok so im not feeling the best right now i seriously want to get out of this hobby right now. This morning i woke up found a diamond goby on the floor as many of you know. And now i came home to find my FAVORITE Carpenter Flasher Wrasse laying on the floor D: I seriously want to die. Ive never killed a single thing in the last 8 months of doing this hobby NOT EVEN A CORAL and now 2 fish dead in 1 day. Both went right through egg crate. I just added a Naso yesterday but he is SUPER peaceful. Im starting to think its my yellow tang chasing my Trigger and naso and when he chases them its scaring all the little fish.

What should i do i feel like a serial killer. I can't believe this is happening. ANY ADVICE would be SOOOO very very appreciated. Please help me to find out what my problem is.

Thanks
Hayden
Old 04-20-2014, 03:19 AM

Slyguy00 is on a distinguished road

Is it just me or is the clear and obvious answer to use something with smaller wholes then egg crate? Wrasses and gobys are infamous for jumping. Will continue to happen if you dont use something smaller
Old 04-20-2014, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyguy00 View Post
Is it just me or is the clear and obvious answer to use something with smaller wholes then egg crate? Wrasses and gobys are infamous for jumping. Will continue to happen if you dont use something smaller
No need to be a jerk.

i have been searching for a couple days for something smaller but i can't find anything i have asked many people on can reef about this smaller holes chicken wire.
And I don't know if any one else agrees with me but just getting a lid with smaller holes IS NOT going to help my fish from getting scared by something. I don't want them ramming there poor heads into something every day. Please i asked for advice not criticism
Old 04-20-2014, 03:33 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinGoalie View Post
No need to be a jerk.

i have been searching for a couple days for something smaller but i can't find anything i have asked many people on can reef about this smaller holes chicken wire.
And I don't know if any one else agrees with me but just getting a lid with smaller holes IS NOT going to help my fish from getting scared by something. I don't want them ramming there poor heads into something every day. Please i asked for advice not criticism
Slyguy00 wasn't being a jerk, and you should bite your tongue

We are all here to help you, so be patient and deal with it as it comes
Old 04-20-2014, 03:41 AM

reef-keeper is on a distinguished road

I would go to Home Depot or a hardware store. Buy some plastic bug screen and some plastic tie straps and attach that to the egg crate.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:43 AM

duncangweller is on a distinguished road

Bulk reef supply sells clear netting and a window frame kit. I think its $24. People have said on here before that they have found the clear netting elsewhere but I can't remember where.

Even with the screen kit, I had my favorite orange back wrasse slither through a hole where my return entered the tank. It really sucks but I'm not sure if there is a reefer that exists that hasn't had a fish go crispy on them, so don't get too freaked out.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2014, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncangweller View Post
Bulk reef supply sells clear netting and a window frame kit. I think its $24. People have said on here before that they have found the clear netting elsewhere but I can't remember where.

Even with the screen kit, I had my favorite orange back wrasse slither through a hole where my return entered the tank. It really sucks but I'm not sure if there is a reefer that exists that hasn't had a fish go crispy on them, so don't get too freaked out.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the help.

But 2 in one day? Would the yellow tang be scaring them?
Old 04-20-2014, 04:04 AM

Taipan is on a distinguished road

Wrasses and gobies are naturally "nervous" and skittish. Sudden movements and vibrations can make them dart around. An assortment of rocks, crevices, and substrate helps.

The Bulk Reef Supply 1/4" Netting is ideal in my opinion to help prevent jumpers and carpet surfing. It also allows for much better light penetration than light diffusing egg crate. Egg crate tends to cast larger shadows.

This plastic netting has been known to be available at Home Hardware stores and some Garden Nurseries.

It is possible that your Tang is scaring them; but there may also be other variables as well. As an example: If your display is in a low traffic area where not a lot of people/pets pass by it; your inhabitants will be used to that. Any sudden movements or vibration may startle them.

P.S. - Jawfish.....great jumpers - out of the display, into overflows, and into sumps.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:09 AM

Ok I'm trying to find some of that 1/4 inch chicken wire but no one seems to carry it. Right now I'm using window screens instead of the egg crate for temporary use
Old 04-20-2014, 04:14 AM

Slyguy00 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinGoalie View Post
No need to be a jerk.

Wasn't tryin to be a " Jerk" if I wanted to be a jerk I woulda said something a lot worse. Was just trying to help. Its ignorant people like you that make me want to be though.

Last edited by Slyguy00; 04-20-2014 at 04:17 AM.