Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal > Canreef Nano Contest 2012

Old 09-25-2012, 06:09 PM
Follows the rules!

Coasting is on a distinguished road
Default Coastings 2012 Nano Contest Entry.

Coastings 2012 Nano Contest Entry.

This is my Nano contest entry.

I dont know if there is a whole lot of inspiration behind my idea other then it being a learning experience. This will be my first ever attempt at drilling a tank. First attempt at making my own sump. First attempt at ever using a skimmer or return pump. Let it be said now that I have no idea what I'm doing

I am looking for this to not only be functional but look nice. The display portion will be sleek, dark, highlighting the tank inhabitatnts.
I am hoping to create a sump with a fuge in the middle that will double as a second display for the cats.
Tanks stand will be on castors so it can be moved within the room, as well as for easy access for sump care and cleaning.
Supplies used are what I have collected over the past year and never bothered using. They have been tucked away in the garage or closet or basement. Most are cheap brands nobody would ever dream of using. Most were free anyway so I cant complain. Time to put them to the test!

__________________________________________________ ___

Old 09-25-2012, 06:19 PM
Follows the rules!

Tank: Aqueon Evolve 8.
~I liked the look of this tank, and how it came with its built in overflow area.
Despite being called an 8 and claiming to be 8 gallons... the display area only holds about 4 gallons of water. This will be drilled for a 1/2" overflow and 1/2" return, however the ending locline is less.

Sump: standard 20 gallon tank. Of coarse it wont get filled to the brim and with rock and sand in the display the system is under our 20gallon limit. I will have to cut my baffles and silicone them in place once I figure out exactly where they can go as I want a decent sized "fuge" in the middle between the return and skimmer.

Livestock: 1 fish per display area. Possibly my grumpy female clown in the top, maybe a clown goby or damsel, something that has colour but will stay small. Few snails, no crabs. Any coral added will be bright and wavy looking. So I'm thinking no SPS or zoas or anything else that doesnt appear to have "flow" to it.

Lighting: Will be looking to add just a simple 50/50 10,000k/actinic for the top and bottom "fuge". May eventually go LED if I ever oder some for my bigger tank and temp use them on this nano. Lighting is still a hazy area for me.

Equipment: Have a seaclone 100 skimmer and a few aqueon powerheads, and an aqueaon return pump. Everything will be hard plumbed together, so no flexible tubing. My rock is currently cycling in a bucket in the basement, so we're starting fresh. Might use a rock or 2 from the current tank as a part of the "fuge" in the sump.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:07 PM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

I was going to use an Aqueon Evolve 8 as well and even bought it. Unfortunately it was the only one the store had and when I took it out of the box the acrylic was all scuffed up and I had to return it. It was a very nice set up and had lots of room in the back to add more filtration if needed. A simple all in one cartridge filter was convenient too. I look forward to seeing your build!
Old 09-26-2012, 03:54 PM
Follows the rules!

Building the stand:

Some Equipment:

Standard 20 gallon for sump

Instant Ocean sea clone 100 skimmer, will need to mod it slightly because the output will drive me nuts.

Aqueon Evolve 8

Drilling:

Nothing fancy, the loc line will be screwed into the back then just slipped through the hole in the front. Nothing fancy. Some water will obviously escape into the back there through that hole.

Added some extra holes to where the filter pad will sit to ensure proper drainage will go down my overflow.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:58 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

wow looks great , see i knew youd do just fine, hell your builds a million times better than mine

keep up the good work ill be watching this one for sure too hehehe
Old 09-26-2012, 04:16 PM

Enigma is on a distinguished road

Very nice! Those are such great looking tanks.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:45 PM

nanoreefnewbie is on a distinguished road

Very nice set up soo far
Old 09-26-2012, 09:58 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Looks great. Will be watching this build for sure.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:18 PM
Follows the rules!

Well I'm going to need to plumb this thing soon, and silicone in my baffles....
I think this part worrys me since I've never done anything of the sort in my life...
Old 09-27-2012, 04:21 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

when your making the lengths for your baffles just remember to leave enough space so that the glass fits in with out having it too tight, less is better as you can use silicone to hold it inplace anyways

also use cd's for spacers when making your sump

cheers