Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-11-2012, 06:05 PM

04V10 is on a distinguished road
Default Dosing Pump recommendation??

Hey everybody,

I am looking to automate my dosing that I am currently doing on my 20gal. I would like to get something that I could also use on a larger system when I do eventually upgrade. I was looking at the bubble magus 3 pump system, but just thought I'd see what everybody had to say.

I currently dose Mag twice a week as it stays pretty stable, however I dose alk and Ca every day. (my sps are growing like crazy currently..lol)

I am also in the process of figuring out an auto topoff system for it, however as I don't have a sump I'm trying to build something low profile. If there are any suggestions for topoff systems I would appreciate that as well.

Thanks guys!!!
Old 11-11-2012, 06:39 PM

FitoPharmer is on a distinguished road

I have never used a doser on my tanks so I can be of little help there.
However I can tell you the Tunze osmolator is the best auto topoff ever, well worth the price.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:38 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

I watched a video on you tube where a guy sealed a 5 gal pail with a hole drilled in top and bottom of side of Pail. Two John guest fittings put in drilled holes with tubing going into sump. The bottom hole tubing is secured low in sump and the top hole to where you want water level at highest. When water level falls below top piece of tubing it allows air into bucket letting water flow out bottom tubing when top lline is in water again it creates vacuum in pail stopping the water flow.

The pail must be sealed. Lid and fittings should be silicones on. If not then pail will m t out
Old 11-11-2012, 08:18 PM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

+1 on the Tunze. I love mine.
For dosing pumps I'm running a BRS 1.1ml/minute doser. Works extremely well. I just put mine on a timer.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:27 AM

Maverick00 is on a distinguished road

+2 on the Tunze.

Over 2 years with no issues, one of the best hobby purchases ive made.

- 33 Gal - 20Gal Sump, MP10/Hydor Powerheads, Aquaticlife 4x T-5HO, Vertex IN100, TLF w/Biopellets, Tunze ATO

-45GAL Build in Progress!-
Old 11-12-2012, 02:37 AM

Nano is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus99 View Post
I watched a video on you tube where a guy sealed a 5 gal pail with a hole drilled in top and bottom of side of Pail. Two John guest fittings put in drilled holes with tubing going into sump. The bottom hole tubing is secured low in sump and the top hole to where you want water level at highest. When water level falls below top piece of tubing it allows air into bucket letting water flow out bottom tubing when top lline is in water again it creates vacuum in pail stopping the water flow.

The pail must be sealed. Lid and fittings should be silicones on. If not then pail will m t out
Yeah I saw this too but on 3reef.com I asked the guy about it, he said it worked great until the hose that sits below the water in the return started siphoning after topping off one day and emptied the whole buck (rather mixed it) into his system. Lol I was considering it up until then.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:41 AM

04V10 is on a distinguished road

I'm thinkin of going the jbj auto topoff system, looks pretty simple, however i like the tunze system as it has a backup switch to ensure the system continues to work. Just a bit pricey
Old 11-12-2012, 05:08 AM
Vendor

Royal Aquariums is on a distinguished road

We have a decent selection for dosing/top off. The aqua house dosers are good quality and are only $99. If you want to go with a higher end doser you can go with the fauna marin pump. I personally use this on my system and couldn't be happier with it for my calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium dosing.

http://www.royalaquariums.ca/c/10/dosingtop-off

Old 11-12-2012, 07:09 AM

FitoPharmer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04V10 View Post
I'm thinkin of going the jbj auto topoff system, looks pretty simple, however i like the tunze system as it has a backup switch to ensure the system continues to work. Just a bit pricey
Tunze stands behind their product 100%.
As far as I know very few companies offer this level of service, and somehow I doubt JBJ is also on of these few companies. Just something else to consider for the extra price.