Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-02-2005, 10:20 PM

adidas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to adidas

thanks for the info. I know I have a nitrate problem so i'm sure thats where the cyano is from. i'm going to start weekly large water changes right away. the cyano isnt out of hand yet, there is quite alot in the fuge, my Chaeto is coated in it.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:04 AM

untamed is on a distinguished road

I fought a cyano problem for nearly a year...at one point doing water changes daily for two weeks trying to eliminate nutrients. I tried phosphate sponges, replaced my RO/DI filters, replaced my light bulbs, carbon filtration..finally trying chemiclean, and red slime remover.

In the end, a newer, larger skimmer cleaned it up nearly overnight!
Old 12-08-2005, 04:34 PM

GMGQ is on a distinguished road

It's not specifically made for getting rid of Cyano, but it does as a side effect.

Nothing in my tank was adversely affected. The only thing is that you have to turn off your skimmer for a few days, because it will overflow within minutes if you dont. After a few days, when the cyano has noticeably disappeared, you have to start doing some water changes to get rid of the chemicals.

Of course this doesnt get rid of the root cause of the cyano, but it got rid of the existing cyano quickly, so that my efforts to reduce the nitrates were more effective in preventing it to start up again. It actually got rid of my green hair algae too. Neither has started up again <fingers crossed>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMGQ
I ended up using 1/3 dosage of Maracyn in 70gal during a fruitless bout with cyano. Actually got rid of green hair algae too. Everything's been in control ever since. No ill effects on any of the corals or fish.
never heard of maracyn... did it affect your sps or anything?
Old 12-08-2005, 06:35 PM

4ptbuck is on a distinguished road

yup Maracyn. I just put in 4 tabs in my tanks, 2 3 days agos and 2 more last night.

I know I have a bit of a overfeeding problem,... that the nature of cylopeeze though.

4pts....
Old 12-08-2005, 06:57 PM

Wow, how big is your tank? I was told to put 1/3 of the recommended dosage on the package (I think it said 1 tablet per 10gal?), so 2 tabs worked in my 70gal. They told me I could always dose again after a few days, if the first dosage wasnt enough.

You want to use it sparingly, because Maracyn IS an anti-biotic. And with all anti-biotics (even for humans), the bacteria that you're trying to kill can adapt and become immune to it over time. So if you give it a big dosage now, down the road it could come back worse than ever.

Plus it would take longer to get it all out of your system. I couldnt wait to get my skimmer started again, but it was still overfilling after 4 days. Took a few water changes before things got back to normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ptbuck
yup Maracyn. I just put in 4 tabs in my tanks, 2 3 days agos and 2 more last night.

I know I have a bit of a overfeeding problem,... that the nature of cylopeeze though.

4pts....
Old 12-08-2005, 06:59 PM

WWWD is on a distinguished road

why wouldnt you guys just treat with chemi-clean a product designed to fight cyano instead of something ment to treat freshwater?
Old 12-08-2005, 07:03 PM

4ptbuck is on a distinguished road

I've got a 46g tank, with about a 20g sump.

never tried chemi-clean. will need to look into that.

4pts
Old 12-08-2005, 08:21 PM

adidas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to adidas

well I;m getting a new skimmer and i'm going to overskim like mad. That should help...did a big cleaning and water change on the weekend and have had virtually no cyano since.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:45 PM

I've read that maracyn is not as harsh as chemi-clean. There are horror stories of chemi-clean wiping out SPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWWD
why wouldnt you guys just treat with chemi-clean a product designed to fight cyano instead of something ment to treat freshwater?
Old 12-08-2005, 09:49 PM

muck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMGQ
I've read that maracyn is not as harsh as chemi-clean. There are horror stories of chemi-clean wiping out SPS.
Id be interested in reading about this..
Can you post your source please??