Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 07-20-2020, 05:21 AM

oyf709 is on a distinguished road
Default lawnmower blenny acting strange

Need to see if anyone else seen blenny acting like this before.

I got one from Canada Corals couple days ago along with few bangaii.
The bangaii are eating great and not shy to come out to open water .

The blenny on the other hand has been doing something strange lately. It would swim near the side glass and just keep flowing in mid water column. Sometime it will turn around try to bite something off its tail. It would also twisting and flow vertically up and down the water.

It also not scare of me, when I do target feeding..it will swim to my hand and sit just next to the power head which right next to where my hand is. It almost felt like it wants me to pet it.

I have seen blenny doing scratching before but never seen it doing twisting or biting its tail...
everything else seems normal, it is eating the algae on the LR and going back to its hole when my hand is not in the water.

I also don't see any visible ich or any white dots in that matter.

Last edited by oyf709; 07-20-2020 at 05:29 AM.
Old 07-20-2020, 04:46 PM

LifeIsGreat is on a distinguished road

I had a starry blenny that did the same thing. It would swim up and down against the glass like an eel whenever it thought I was going to feed it. If I wasn't near the tank it would either perch on a rock or sit in its hole. It did the tail bite thing when it felt some irritation: I noticed a white bump on the tail when the behaviour started.
Old 07-20-2020, 05:12 PM

thanks. I moved it to its own QT tank from the rest of the fish just to be safe and to be ready to copper dose the separate QT.

When I catch it, I can see the side of its tail has some scratches, that could be the irritation cause it to "bite" its own tail.

I don't see it doing that vertical twisting anymore which is the most concern part because when it is twisting, some tiems it will flow down to the bottom of the tank almost upside down.

this has not been spotted in the separate QT tank. Will keep an eye on it.
Old 07-27-2020, 12:24 AM

Got an update on the blenny?
Old 07-27-2020, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGreat View Post
Got an update on the blenny?
It actually just past away last night.

After I moved the blenny to the QT tank. I saw the side of the blenny got a round spot seems could be a anemone sting. Over the following 3 days, I thought it was doing better as it start eating and no longer scratching. The spot is also gone. However, last night, its front part of its right eye getting a layer of haze looking film. It also looking breathing much quicker than normal. I told my wife that it doesn't look good. I did a water test and all reading are in good range. ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite are all undetectable. I was planning to do a 50% water change the following morning because due to my vibrant dosing, my tank is full of red slime. This morning, I found it is laying on the sand bed.

Thanks for everyone's input, there could be multiple things contribute to its death.
Old 07-27-2020, 01:13 AM

Sorry to hear about your fish. It always seems that 90% of fish problems happen when the fish is moved from one home to the next.