Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 08-02-2013, 03:13 PM

Amadod2 is on a distinguished road
Default calcium reactor vs dosing pump

So if you guys had a choice, and could afford either set up, what would you get and why, a calcium reactor or a couple of dosing pumps with a two part selotion????

Im thinking calcium reactor but i dont like the idea of having a co2 bottle in the stand.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:17 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I've always used a reactor and wouldn't switch. I fill the tank once a year and replace media every 6 months, otherwise a set and forget setup. I also believe the quality of dissolved media is better for the tank, vs dosing that can leave salts of the compounds being dosed (chloride, sulfates, etc)
Old 08-02-2013, 03:37 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadod2 View Post
.. i dont like the idea of having a co2 bottle in the stand.
This is why I choice dosing. However, it does get quite costly the higher in volume you go. At a certain volume you're better off (more economical) to use a CA reactor.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:57 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I've always used a reactor and wouldn't switch. I fill the tank once a year and replace media every 6 months, otherwise a set and forget setup. I also believe the quality of dissolved media is better for the tank, vs dosing that can leave salts of the compounds being dosed (chloride, sulfates, etc)
I agree. It was tricky for me when first setting up my reactor but once dialed in it's pretty simple.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:02 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
This is why I choice dosing. However, it does get quite costly the higher in volume you go. At a certain volume you're better off (more economical) to use a CA reactor.
It was shown to be around the 180 gallon mark according to a pretty thorough experiment done by some random dude off reef central. I still prefer having ultimate control though and chose to ignore that with my 404g and ran a doser...

... which became too costly to run. hey wait one dang second...
Old 08-02-2013, 04:04 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Ca reactor all the way, I switched to dosing before after thinking it was better, it was not, switched back. With dosing you have to control each element individually meaning measuring each element more often, you have to maintain each container and the lines are pretty prone to clogging IME. It's a lot more work for no gain.

With Ca reactor it's pretty much set and forget, ph controller maintains reactor ph so you just have to watch for a steady drip. Fill media like once a year and really you only have to measure Alk which is an easy test. The CO2 lasts a very long time, you can get small 5lb bottles and all together it should take up much less space than a dosing system. If your issue with the CO2 bottle related to safety you can strap it down to prevent it from going anywhere but really it's no different than a fire extinguisher.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:50 PM

Amadod2 is on a distinguished road

i am thinking of going with a nano type calcium reactor, my tank that i just finished setting up is only a 75G, do you guys recommend any type of reactor in particular?
Old 08-02-2013, 04:57 PM

rhody605 is on a distinguished road

I love my reactor. Set it and sit back and relax. I have a vertex rx-6. It takes up a lot of space. The rx-4 is smaller but still would take up a lot of space. I'm sure someone with more knowledge of other reactors will chime in.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:22 PM

Seth81 is on a distinguished road

I dose, I also mix up 5 Gallons of CA, Mg, and Alk at a time, so it's really not too much of a head ache.

For those people who use a reactor, Does a Ca reactor also add Alk too ?
Old 08-02-2013, 07:37 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth81 View Post
I dose, I also mix up 5 Gallons of CA, Mg, and Alk at a time, so it's really not too much of a head ache.

For those people who use a reactor, Does a Ca reactor also add Alk too ?
Yes it does, it adds Mag and trace elements as well, it dissolves dried coral so pretty much whatever is needed to grow coral skeleton is added. You can also get supplemental chambers added to for extra dosing of certain elements.