Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal > Canreef Nano Tank Build Contest #2

Old 05-21-2009, 04:15 AM

BlueAbyss is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by byee View Post
Ron99 is correct. Silicone does not bond to acrylic. I have it in my sump and it does come apart with pressure.
Cool, good to know. I've decided to go with all glass now, black silicone. Skimmer included
Old 05-22-2009, 08:41 AM

Quick sizing revisions *may yet change, this was just so I can figure out what I want to do and what my total volume is like*

Main Display 36 x 10 x 10 = 15.6 gallons
Secondary Display 20 x 10 x 10 = 8.7 gallons
Protein Skimmer 16 x 6 x 6 = 2.5 gallons... just realized my skimmer will have around 95x turnover
TOTAL = 26.8 gallons if filled to the brim and before sand and rock.

I'll probably be moving to the custom unlimited category, though I suspect I can do this under a budget. I'm still planning on using the same lighting and everything, I've just upsized both the display and the 'sump' to give me more total volume (I may yet expand this volume with a 3rd tank that will be strictly for breaking the bubbles from the CSD).

Anyone know where I can get 1" grey Spaflex and 1/2" grey tubing that will look good with it? Preferably accessible through the internet?

Total Cost thus far... well, I have a tube of silicone (hope it's enough... actually I'll order another tube) at around 13 bucks, and a Rio 800 RV on the way at under 30, so I'd say...

GRAND TOTAL $40.00

I also have had some contact with Bayside Corals in Saskatoon, Colby said he regularly ships items on the bus and it's no problem... PERFECT! He said he's had some nice live rock in lately, interesting shapes and macro / encrusting growth, and get fresh rock in! I think I've found my 'local' fish store!

Last edited by BlueAbyss; 05-22-2009 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:04 PM

Rbacchiega is on a distinguished road

LOL yay for not so Local LFS! Mine is in the city and on the other damn side of it. It's like a hour and 40 minute drive LOL

36x10x10= one sexy tank. Get that baby built so I can drool over it...
I've got so much glue on my pants it looks like a Friday night gone horribly wrong.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:24 PM

It looks sexy on paper, we'll see how good my siliconing is
Old 05-22-2009, 06:11 PM

Rbacchiega is on a distinguished road

as long as it's relatively even, (and I'm assuming it will be with you talking about running a bead on tubs etc) a nice sharp razorblade will trim off any gunky excess...
I've got so much glue on my pants it looks like a Friday night gone horribly wrong.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:18 PM

Well, I'll be using masking tape to make sure I have nice smooth lines anyhow, just to be sure. Would you trim after it's fully cured?
Old 05-28-2009, 09:19 AM

I'm migrating to the Custom Unlimited category...
Old 05-29-2009, 04:18 AM

Final Dimensions and Plans:

Main Display: 42l x 10w x 11d = 20 gallons.
I had planned to make the tank 10" deep, but I worry that I won't be able to get the wave action I want without overflowing a relatively full tank (I want the full 10" depth available). The extra depth is to accommodate the surge, while maintaining a full 10" depth of water between surges. The actual water volume of the display area will be 15 gallons.

I had also planned to make the tank 36" long, but now I can have a full 6" catchment chamber on the end of the tank for the circulation pump and a slow response ATO.

Secondary Display: 24 x 10 x 10 = 10.39 gallons
This tank will be fed from the catchment chamber on the main display. The overflow of this tank will serve as the media (carbon and filter floss) chamber, which will further overflow into the CSD chamber.

Bubble Breaker / Chaeto Vortex: 10 x 8 x 12 = 4.15 gallons
This tank will serve as a place for bubbles to have a chance to break (much needed IMO), while simultaneously giving the water a wide pouring sort of flow, and providing ideal conditions for Chaeto growth. The Chaeto will sit in sort of a kriesel which will roll the algae with every surge. The heater will also reside in this tank, which will overflow into the Main Display.

Recirculating Skimmer: 24 tall, 4 square = 1.66 gallons
This will technically also be a tank, so I'm including it here in my build list. This will be fed around 30 gph from the circulation pump, and will simply gravity return to the Bubble Breaker. I have a modded Rio 800 RV that will work awesome here.

TOTAL: 36.2 gallons filled to the brim, and without rock or water. I've managed to maximize my gallonage without going over the 40 gallon limit

Lighting: 4 x T5HO 24W
Workhorse 5 ballast
2 x ATI Blue+
1 x GE 6500K Daylight
1 x Something else. Maybe a Super Actinic or a Fiji Purple.

Circulation Pump: At least 500 gph @ 2 ft.
I want a really quick (1 second) surge every four seconds. The surge won't have to be large, but the pump will need to provide at least 30x turnover... probably more, like 45x turnover. I was looking at the Tunze Silence pump for 30x. I can go up to the Mag 950, but I'll have to throttle it back somewhat... I have been told I can throttle back a pump around 25% safely, so I can get down to around 750 gph and I will add a bypass for some secondary circulation within the tank. Whatever I choose, I need it to fit in a 6" (or so) space.

So that's where I stand. No changes will be made beyond this, this is the final plan... now I have to make them work together
Old 05-29-2009, 10:12 PM

Boomboy is on a distinguished road

PICS!!!!! of whatever you got
Old 05-30-2009, 09:02 AM

Hmm... well, I have a Rio 800 RV...

Which I've made modifications to...

This is for my recirculating protein skimmer.

Sorry Boom, that's all I got.

So far Calling about glass on Monday, and likely ordering my lights this week. I'll be ordering my glass drill bits from mops this week for sure... I should have ordered them when I ordered this pump I should also order some carbon, any suggestions as to a brand?

Edit: Wow, I just realised that these are the first pics in this thread. Lame!

Last edited by BlueAbyss; 07-19-2009 at 07:13 PM.