Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal > Canreef Nano Tank Build Contest #1

Old 09-24-2008, 06:11 PM

tgoeujon is on a distinguished road

id love to enter but the smallest tank i have empty is a 12 gallon so unless that will qualify i guess ill just have to come up with something for next time. if it will work let me know and ill give it a try
Old 09-24-2008, 06:12 PM

phillybean is on a distinguished road

I read on one of the replies about needing to have water in it by Nov 15th for the first check point. Is this with LR and SW or can be be a fresh water test?

What are the checkpoints?

Oct 1st - Tank Picture before MODs
Oct 15th - Payment
Nov 15th - FTS with water
Dec 15th or ??? - ???
Old 09-24-2008, 06:34 PM

Diana is on a distinguished road

Hey guys.... I have to tell you that I've had my eye out for a Nano buildoff for a while (I dont really frequent nano-reef.com). I was a part of Reef.org's 2005 Nano Buildoff (It was my first saltwater tank wooo!), and came in 3rd in the contest:

http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=971660

It was a lot of fun! I was thinking about joining this one until I read this thread... hehe. All this talk about budget and calculating spending and everything just seems far too complicated. Honestly I've come to learn in this hobby that you can spend thousands of dollars on equipment and coral and still come out with a tank that looks like poop, and some people can spend next to nothing and make a masterpiece. I think the general budget guideline is a great idea, and making people record their spending is also a good idea, but to go so far as to calculate the value of pieces of equipment down to the penny is a moot point (and wayyy too much math involved for me). I think if someone wants to spend $1000 on a 5 gallon then they can go ahead, but I can't honestly see being able to make a nano tank really spectacular just because you spent more money on it. Its all about being creative and talented!

Anywhoo just my 2 cents. If I had more time this semester I might be all for it! Have fun guys! I can already think of a million things I would do with a 5 gallon....

-Diana

Old 09-24-2008, 06:47 PM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

what about the possibility of flat rate item? regardless of brand things like heaters and filters should have a flat rate according to model.

Ie
Heater
50W $25
75W 30

Aqua Clear HOB
30 or < $25
50 $35

korialia
nano $20
1 $25

Skimmers
rio nano $30
Lees S $20
Lees m $25

And so on and so forth, just to take the guess work out of these manditory items
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:58 PM

tgoeujon is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

so due to lack of response im guesing a 12 gallon wouldnt qualify. oh well
Old 09-24-2008, 08:18 PM

Stab_Master_Arson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by michika View Post
In regards to livestock, I am looking at just making a basic list for frags & mini colonies.
If we just set some generalized prices it will probably make the contest simpler in terms of accounting, and hopefully it won't detract from the fun of the contest. So what does everyone think of the proposed type of prices?
REMEMBER THIS ISN'T FINAL!
e.g.
-$5 small colony of regular zoas, under 15 heads
-$10 small colony of special rare zoas, or regular zoos that are 15-50 heads.
-$10 small SPS frag, under 2"
-$15 SPS frag from 2"-5"
-$20 SPS from 5"-15"
-$30 small clam, under 3.5"
-$15 small softie, e.g. leather, xenia
-$15 small LPS, e.g. hammer
- ? specialty items, aussie acans, suncorals, dendros, etc.

Fish and clean up crew prices should probably be taken from J&L, and if the item isn't on their website then maybe take a look at what Live Aquaria is posting for a price.
These prices bring way more opportunity to what I was planning!

I was also thinking of fragging some corals. Like hammers or frogspawn.
Thanks
Old 09-24-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgoeujon View Post
id love to enter but the smallest tank i have empty is a 12 gallon so unless that will qualify i guess ill just have to come up with something for next time. if it will work let me know and ill give it a try
You could always just buy a 10g. they are like 25 bucks. To think that you would be spending 400 plus on other items/livestock anyways, it is kind of a waste not to enter because you have to buy a cheap tank.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:32 PM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

i am thinking the frag prices may be low. Clams? this is a 300 dollar limit. what you going to spent 250 on lights and 50 on a clam? i thought the whole point of this was that it was to see what could be done on a fixed budget. with coral prices like these there is really no point in entering (makes possiblities far too endless). i thought this was a grow out tank. frags should be a min of 20 a Peice. what about those who are going with little coral? this kills them as they wont get a deal like that on LS. for those who are considering a species tank?

Im thinking 20 for a 5head reg zoas 35 for a 5 head rare zoa and so on. this again limits coral and gets back to THE NATURE OF THE BEAST which i thought was to see who could "Grow out" a tank in 6 monthes.

Just my opinion.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:36 PM

Frags will probably be where it is at. You can always gamble, get a chinese pendant from ebay, buy randolm zoa frags and hope they cover the rock work in 6 months

BTW, where the heck do I send my 20 bucks? I don't have paypal so I might have to send a money order. If not, I can probably do a CC transaction if the money collectors have a business or merchant account.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:43 PM

scuglass is on a distinguished road

Everyone seems to be going a little too hard core lol.... The rules are stated. The idea is to keep it fun and based off the NR build contest.

Whats next.. are people gonna want to convert the 250 and 300 to canadian $ :P

Less thinking about ways to change it and more thinking about how your gonna be different