Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 01-25-2010, 06:29 PM

shrimpchips is on a distinguished road
Default Shrimpchips's 100g (Live!)

After about a year and a half in the SW side of the hobby, and progressing from a 10g to a 20g tall tank, I think I'm finally ready to upgrade tanks. That, and I need more space

The above model is what I'm hoping the tank will come out to look like.

The tank will go where my 20g reef is right now - to the left is the kitchen, and to the right is the 'living room' area. I wanted to do a 48 x 24 x 24 120g, but after taping off that space in our condo (~600 sqft), but it would be just too huge in the space, so I'm going for a slightly smaller tank.

Here's the plan: the display tank will be 36" x 30" x 24", and I will be ordering it from North American Fish Breeders. It will have a corner overflow like Lobsterboy's 125g in the back left corner - I think this design is great as it's much more hydrodynamic than a rectangular box or a round corner overflow. There will be two 1" drains (full siphon, emergency - a modified BeanAnimal overflow), and a single 3/4" return, which will terminate in 2x 3/4" locline returns into the tank.

Plumbing plan (after some consultation on RC:

The reason I'm going for the siphon return is to minimize noise at night - at night I can hear the durso gurgling on my reef now, and with 400+ gallons going through the drain on this tank, it's going to be a lot louder. So the siphon return should be almost completely silent.

The gate valve is to control the rate of draining to match the return pump - at full siphon (no air, gravity flow) a 1" pipe should handle 900+gph. In the off chance that there is a clog, there will be an emergency drain, also 1".

The lighting will be a Sfiligoi Stealth 8x39w T5HO fixture. Should be more than enough for a nice forest of SPS corals - and I'll finally have a strong light fixture, so I'm looking forward to more intense colours!

The skimmer will be a Royal Exclusiv Bubble King Mini 180 - I bought this used from a friend last summer. This should easily handle the fishload I have in mind for the tank.

Flow will be supplied by a pair of EcoTech Vortech MP-40w. I already have a MP-20 and the upgrade kit, so I'll be grabbing another MP-40w soon.

The other day I came across d2mini's build thread on Reef Central, and I really liked his stand. My stand will look a lot like his. I'm not sure if the frame will be 2"x4" or metal. I've sent a drawing to a guy on my local forum to get a quote on the construction:

Other stuff that will be on the tank include my Profilux 4-channel SA doser, as well as my Profilux II Plus controller.

My sump design is still in progress, but without giving too much up, it'll be different.

Rocks will be what I have in my 20g, as well as rock in a 15g right now, and some dry rock I have, and possibly some more dry rock (Marco rocks) or LR if I can find some for a decent price locally - I probably need no more than another 50lbs for the scape I want - something like the 2-3 island grouping. I want to have lots of overhangs and spaces for fish, but at the same time leave lots of space for the SPS to grow out.

Fish in my20g will come over (Potter's Angel, sixline wrasses, 2x Pearly Jawfish). I'd eventually like to have:

5 - 7 Carberry anthias
3 - 4 Pearly Jawfish
1 - 2 Centropyge multifasicatus
1 - 2 Centropyge potteri
1 - 2 Synchiropus picturatus (Spotted green mandarinfish)
1 - 2 Corythoichthys haematopterus (Dragonface pipefish)
1 - Falco hawkfish

Plus assorted gobies and such to fill out the mix. I want to keep the fish all smaller - personally I'm not a fan of seeing big tangs and angelfish in anything but massive tanks. This tank will be a tang free zone.

Coral-wise, of course this tank will be SPS dominated, with a few clams. I'll have a ricordea garden, and maybe a few zoas here and there, and a rock covered in different xenids (if the Potter's lets me - they're currently his favourite snack).

As I progress with the build, I'll post updates

Last edited by shrimpchips; 01-25-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:37 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpchips View Post
[IMG]

Other stuff that will be on the tank include my Profilux 4-channel SA doser, as well as my Profilux II Plus controller.
Looks awesome! Something to keep in mind (in case you didn't already know).. GHL has a non standalone doser that hooks up and talks to the profilux controller. It is cheaper than the standalone doser. :-)

K.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:44 PM

Thanks Kien - I'm hoping it all turns out as nice as I have in my head!

Yeah, I bought the SA doser, since I didn't have any intention of picking up a controller anytime soon. And then a week later a great deal on a Profilux set up popped up, so I got it....could of saved myself $200, but oh well
Old 01-25-2010, 07:18 PM

Nebthet is on a distinguished road

I have found that Kijiji for your area is a good place to look for cured live rock for decent prices. There are a few people selling it for between $3/lb to $4.50/lb.
Nebthet Special Forces Aqua Division...Codename Nebanatior...Mission: Coral Recovery..... Don't say anymore on this form I've detected a key tap surveillance system ..I think they are on to you.. what hu no.. no....please..
Old 01-25-2010, 07:44 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Wow... this sounds like it is going to be quite the tank!

Looking forward to it.

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 01-25-2010, 07:56 PM

Chase31 is on a distinguished road

drool
Old 01-25-2010, 09:01 PM

Droolz is right!!! I can't wait to see this puppy put together and all set up.
Your sps will be really nice and happy in this baby!
Nebthet Special Forces Aqua Division...Codename Nebanatior...Mission: Coral Recovery..... Don't say anymore on this form I've detected a key tap surveillance system ..I think they are on to you.. what hu no.. no....please..
Old 02-01-2010, 04:08 AM

I picked up my light today from Tim from Elite Aquatics - a Sfiligoi Stealth 8 x 39w T5HO fixture.

It came in an overly huge box:

The splash guard is made of two panes of low-iron glass:

All packed in:

Huzzah!

There's two cords for the lighting and one for the fans (with adjustable voltage). Also there's an additional hole for the cord for the LED upgrade (which I didn't get), but it will be great as I eventually want to get a Profilux SIMU-LED stick. Also there's a gap in the reflectors in the middle for the LEDs, which I can use too.

There's 4 fans (2 for each bulb), and the top is a metal mesh for venting. The reflectors are super bright - definitely magnitudes more 'shiny' than my Current USA reflectors.

The fixture is built solid, and I can't wait to have the rest of the tank set up!

No bulbs yet - that's not in this month's budget

This weekend I also placed an order for some of the plumbing (loc line fittings and a gate valve) - the rest of the plumbing I need to go to JJ Downs for (schedule 40 grey PVC pipe and fittings). I'm also getting a Vortech from a friend who is opting for a wavebox instead.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:42 AM

phyto4life is on a distinguished road

Nice
Old 02-01-2010, 06:36 AM

Very nice!! That is a huge light.. and should work well for your new tank!