Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 10-14-2014, 03:35 AM

edikpok is on a distinguished road
Default Loud Biocube fans - quick fix

The two fans in my Biocube have been driving us crazy over the past month with how loud they were. Most places online suggest getting a new 6x6 fan, but I didn't get around to it...

So today I decided to lubricate the bearings. Removed my DIY splashguard, removed the aluminum piece that covers the fans, unscrewed the fans, removed the sticker and applied a drop of lubrication oil (not wd40). Worked it in by manually turning fans, and re-assembled the whole thing. Worked VERY well! Wife is very happy with how quite the fans are. Highly recommend to all of you who have this problem - it only takes 10 minutes...
Old 10-14-2014, 04:11 AM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by edikpok View Post
The two fans in my Biocube have been driving us crazy over the past month with how loud they were. Most places online suggest getting a new 6x6 fan, but I didn't get around to it...

So today I decided to lubricate the bearings. Removed my DIY splashguard, removed the aluminum piece that covers the fans, unscrewed the fans, removed the sticker and applied a drop of lubrication oil (not wd40). Worked it in by manually turning fans, and re-assembled the whole thing. Worked VERY well! Wife is very happy with how quite the fans are. Highly recommend to all of you who have this problem - it only takes 10 minutes...
Did the same fix and it only lasted a few days for me. Ended up replacing both fans.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:33 AM

edikpok is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the heads up. Where did you end up getting your new fans?
Old 10-14-2014, 06:26 AM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by edikpok View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Where did you end up getting your new fans?
In a pinch I get replacement fans from Lee's electronics on Main. They're fairly cheap. That said, I've replaced the &#%ing fans on my biocube six times - each time I extend their life a little longer by adding a drop of lube just as you did. I use machine oil that I use for my CNC mill (basically the same as sewing machine oil) and I find the slightly higher viscosity keeps the oil in longer.

If you can find a nice high-end fan with really nice bearings, spend the extra dough on it. It's worth it.

Really, what it comes down to is that the bearings in those cheap little fans aren't designed to be run laying on their sides - the constant axial load from the weight fan (albeit small) puts more wear on the races where they weren't designed to see much wear. Combine that with the fact that they're probably made with really cheap bearings with really small balls, sloppy races and in a saltwater environment and you've got a recipe for some noisy, annoying fans.

I'm personally going to look at putting in a small squirrel-cage fan... if I can ever find a free moment away from work that is...