Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 03-23-2008, 09:27 PM

mildcustom2 is on a distinguished road
Default New Car Opinions

So I used to own a beautiful 2003 Nissan 350Z, 3 years later 2 weeks before I got married I crashed it ( 2nd worst day of my life ). I did 6000$ in damage to it not to mention my emotional pain. So 3 months later my wife decided I didn't need the car anymore , so I sold it to keep her happy ( absolutely the worst day of my life ). I traded it straight across for a 2006 Dodge Magnum station wagon, custom leather interior, side trim removed and 22" wheels. Ever since then I have had a massive emptiness inside .

Well my wife being the good woman she is noticed how sad I was ever since she made me sell my 350Z ( 1.5 years ago ). So she said to me one day " I think its time we sold the Magnum. " Whhhhhhhhhat. You have a company truck and don't need a daily driver and I have my Honda so why not get another sports car.

Excellent

So I was originally thinking about getting a new Challenger SRT8 but it looks like the dealers are jacking the price up past the MSRP so I began to think. Whats a car thats original, not too many people have (don't see in front of every Starbucks), will scare the crap out of me and not cost an arm, leg and a kidney.

How about a new Lotus?

I'm thinking about a new Lotus Elise or Lotus Exige S. The difference is a little bit of body styling, the Exige is supercharged. The Elise does 0-60mph in 4.9s and the Exige 0-60mph in 4.1s. and the big difference about 10 grand.

Lotus Exige S ( MSRP 67,750 $ )

Lotus Elise ( MSRP 54,500 $ )

So what do you think, good choice or bad choice?

Wich Model?

Color?

I'm thinking about getting something in the next year, so lots of input would be great.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:07 PM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road

I'm a big fan of the lotus. I prefer the exige myself, better styling and more zip.

It really surprises me that you do not see many of these on the road considring they are cheap and can run circles around corvettes.

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2
Old 03-23-2008, 11:31 PM

VFX is on a distinguished road

Hey,

I used to own an Elise

I had an S2 back in the UK.

I was all about the Exige until the dealer let me take one home for a weekend.

The intake for the supercharger gets it's air from ducts in the roof so you have no back window! Not too good when you're driving around in central London!

I went for an Elise R with the Sports & Touring packages.

The thing that always gets me when driving a Lotus is the way it grips & grips (only in the dry though as it had Yoko Advan semi-slicks!).

For driving around Vancouver though? I'd probably give it a miss.

Too much rain even in the summertime to really enjoy it & a little too compromised to use everyday (my commute is 200km each day).

Oh & I'm not he most supple of people so I never found the most elegant way of getting in & out with the roof on!

Old 03-23-2008, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital-audiophile View Post
I'm a big fan of the lotus. I prefer the exige myself, better styling and more zip.

It really surprises me that you do not see many of these on the road considring they are cheap and can run circles around corvettes.
I think its because they are just such a bare bones performance car. No real carpet just floor mats, Exposed aluminum everywhere, Can't get in or out without giving yourself a hernia, No power steering, etc. etc. etc.

This is all ok with me. I just want something that gives me Ferrari performance without the cost or crappy gas mileage.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:35 PM

Maybe it's because 'Lotus' is short for:

Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious!

Having said that... mine never actually broke down. It just had lots of stupid annoying things go wrong with it.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFX View Post
Hey,

I used to own an Elise

I had an S2 back in the UK.

I was all about the Exige until the dealer let me take one home for a weekend.

The intake for the supercharger gets it's air from ducts in the roof so you have no back window! Not too good when you're driving around in central London!

I went for an Elise R with the Sports & Touring packages.

The thing that always gets me when driving a Lotus is the way it grips & grips (only in the dry though as it had Yoko Advan semi-slicks!).

For driving around Vancouver though? I'd probably give it a miss.

Too much rain even in the summertime to really enjoy it & a little too compromised to use everyday (my commute is 200km each day).

Oh & I'm not he most supple of people so I never found the most elegant way of getting in & out with the roof on!

I hear you, I just want a dry weather summer car not a daily driver. It'll definitely never see rain as I will probably build it a private garage on the side of my house, and I'll sleep with it, tuck it in at night and give it a drink when its thirsty .

Thanx

Sean
Old 03-23-2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Maybe it's because 'Lotus' is short for:

Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious!

Having said that... mine never actually broke down. It just had lots of stupid annoying things go wrong with it.

The North America model comes with a Toyota drivetrain (same engine as the Celica) unlike the Rover drive train the UK model came with (very unreliable).
Old 03-23-2008, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildcustom2 View Post
The North America model comes with a Toyota drivetrain (same engine as the Celica) unlike the Rover drive train the UK model came with (very unreliable).
The engine was never the problem (mine had the supercharged Toyota engine.)

The problems were silly things like windows being stuck down, alarm systems going off, shaving your knuckles whilst putting the roof on, instrument panel not working etc. etc.

Still despite many annoying little things, I LOVED my car!

Old 03-24-2008, 12:59 AM

Quote:
The engine was never the problem (mine had the supercharged Toyota engine.)

The problems were silly things like windows being stuck down, alarm systems going off, shaving your knuckles whilst putting the roof on, instrument panel not working etc. etc.

Still despite many annoying little things, I LOVED my car!

HAHAHA, love the shaved knuckles, didn't know that they made a UK model with the Toyota engine in it. Any pics you can post of your car.

Thanx

Sean
Old 03-24-2008, 01:18 AM

Yeah, all UK models are Toyota based now.

When Rover went bust a few years a ago the K-Series engine was quickly ditched once they got the Toyota deal.

I'll dig up some photo's for you when I get the chance. It's liquid blue & totally stock.

Hey, when I come round & get some frags off you in a few weeks time, maybe you'd like a run in my new 2 seat roadster