Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Controller and Monitoring Specific

Old 01-10-2014, 08:00 PM

byee is on a distinguished road
Default Which controller - Apex, Reef Keeper or Reef Angel

I've been tinkering with various DIY controllers and I just don't have the time or patience with the DIY process.

I've decided to buy a commercially available product.

Here my list of initial requirements

> network based - wire or wifi
> smartphone accessible - view and update status
> email notifications
> web based interface
> display historical pH and temperature patterns
> pH monitoring for reactors or doser
> PWM for LED lighting - multichannel for sump and canopy
> ATO
> leak detection
> temperature control
> firmware updatability to keep it current
> LCD display at aquarium
> option to add webcam

I also have TELUS internet.............just need to put this out there. Reading the forums, there are issues with Apex and TELUS internal with ports being block.

For the people who have switched from one manufacturer to another, I'd like to hear why you switched and your experience with each controller - pros and cons. Why did you change?

For the people who have only used one controller, I'd like to hear what your thoughts are with your existing controller - the pros and cons. If $$$$ is not an issue, which controller would you buy based on your personal experience.

Thank you!

Last edited by byee; 01-10-2014 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:30 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Out of the three controllers listed pretty sure APEX is only one that will come close to doing everything on the list and even then I'm pretty sure you'll have take a DIY approach to things like the PWM LED control and leak detector, not saying it can't be done, just not sure they have plug and play modules is all.

While profilux isn't on your list they do have plug and play modules for everything listed although the PWM module can require a bit of work depending on the drivers used.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:35 PM

MinPhase is on a distinguished road

I have an Apex. I've read that it is superior to the Reef Keeper. The apex is infinitely expandable and you can add modules for everything. It's also programmable which lets you set up elaborate programs to do whatever you want.

Mine does everything on your list including web cam and I can access the web interface from a computer or control from my phone app.

The Telus connectivity won't cause any problem. Just don't use port 80 if they do in fact block it. The trouble arises when you try to connect through other routers but even then, as long as you are careful about the details in the set up you won't have a problem.

You'll need to buy a network bridge if your apex is not near your router as it does not have built in wifi. You can get a bridge from any shop for $60.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:37 PM

MinPhase is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Out of the three controllers listed pretty sure APEX is only one that will come close to doing everything on the list and even then I'm pretty sure you'll have take a DIY approach to things like the PWM LED control and leak detector, not saying it can't be done, just not sure they have plug and play modules is all.

While profilux isn't on your list they do have plug and play modules for everything listed although the PWM module can require a bit of work depending on the drivers used.

Apex has plug and play leak detection capabilities.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:25 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

i just got my apex lite working... on telus too. i love it so far and i was shocked to hear it's being dropped from the apex lineup.

http://blog.aquanerd.com/2014/01/nep...ontroller.html

hopefully the lite version will work with fusion. not sure why they axed it. you can still buy them and perhaps they'll even drop in price.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:47 PM

Jakegr is on a distinguished road

I'm a Profilux user... If I could do it again I would go with an Apex. Apex's are a fraction of the price of a Profilux, have the same functionality (and more), and seem to be a lot more user friendly (and Apple friendly!). Plus, Apex keeps coming out with new and highly practical add on's. Recently the Kessil dimmer, and automatic feeder. It is also rumored they will have Apex controllable pumps soon.

Don't get my wrong... my Profilux has worked very well for me over the last few years. But it does kind of suck seeing the Apex get all sorts of new add ons while Profilux has stayed mostly the same, especially given the price I paid for the latter. It hasn't helped that I have never once completed a problem-free firmware update for Profilux... I always need to perform the "emergency update procedure", which is a lot more complicated than plug in and update. The Mitras is the same way unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-10-2014, 09:49 PM

NickC is on a distinguished road

I use the reef angel and love it. Best controller out there on the market imo.
The programming is tricky at first(if you know how to build webpages then it is easy. Very similiar to html). The conteoller can do anything you program it to so the options for what you can do are endless.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2014, 12:02 AM

byee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakegr View Post
I'm a Profilux user... If I could do it again I would go with an Apex. Apex's are a fraction of the price of a Profilux, have the same functionality (and more), and seem to be a lot more user friendly (and Apple friendly!). Plus, Apex keeps coming out with new and highly practical add on's. Recently the Kessil dimmer, and automatic feeder. It is also rumored they will have Apex controllable pumps soon.

Don't get my wrong... my Profilux has worked very well for me over the last few years. But it does kind of suck seeing the Apex get all sorts of new add ons while Profilux has stayed mostly the same, especially given the price I paid for the latter. It hasn't helped that I have never once completed a problem-free firmware update for Profilux... I always need to perform the "emergency update procedure", which is a lot more complicated than plug in and update. The Mitras is the same way unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made a consciences decision to exclude the Profilux simply because of the costs involved. The controller will simply be managing my 45g cube I'm in the process of setting up.

I purchased a Kessil 360we for my setup as the main light and built a DIY LED for the sump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickC View Post
I use the reef angel and love it. Best controller out there on the market imo.
The programming is tricky at first(if you know how to build webpages then it is easy. Very similiar to html). The conteoller can do anything you program it to so the options for what you can do are endless.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

NickC,

I'm sitting on the fence with the Arduino Mega2560 ReefAngel controller. Unfortunately, you can not build your own shields to add to the RA. For example, Atlas scientific makes a pH shield for $28 which only requires 5 wires to connect to the Arudino. If you want to add another pH probe, you'll need to buy the pH probe expansion fro $110. Same applies to the PWM dimming circuit, etc.

I would have definitely considered it I can build/add my own shields.

Last edited by byee; 01-11-2014 at 12:10 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:43 AM

neoh is on a distinguished road

I've got a reefkeeper, and I would trade it for an Apex any day of the week.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:08 AM
Second Best

spit.fire is on a distinguished road

imo the apex is the only controller that will do all that, have a good price point and is user friendly

the only one thing that will be tricky to do is the pwm dimming as the apex only has analogue dimming

the only solution to this that ive found is there are analogue to pwm converters on the market through a couple of the online "diy" led stores that are capable of running 4 channels

as far as the leak detection apex has 2 models of a leak detection probe although it is quite easy to diy one using a io breakout box (someone on here made a probe with a couple nails and a paper towel)

also the io breakout box will double as a means to make your own ato

the programming for the apex is quite simple as well, after skimming over the manual i pretty much figured out how to do anything i want with it.

the reefkeeper controller i find is useless for anything other than temperature control and turning lights on and off