Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Controller and Monitoring Specific

Old 01-11-2014, 03:01 AM
Colony Growing Master

Rice Reef is on a distinguished road

Where is the poll?
ATI 48" 3x75W LED with 8x54W T5, 2xTunze 6105, 2 x Maxspect Gyre XF150, Bubble King Mini 200 ( soon to be replaced by a Bubble King SM 200), Eheim 1262, Via Aqua 300 watt Titanium heater, JBJ ATO, Apex Controller
Old 01-11-2014, 03:39 AM

byee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spit.fire View Post
imo the apex is the only controller that will do all that, have a good price point and is user friendly

the only one thing that will be tricky to do is the pwm dimming as the apex only has analogue dimming

the only solution to this that ive found is there are analogue to pwm converters on the market through a couple of the online "diy" led stores that are capable of running 4 channels

as far as the leak detection apex has 2 models of a leak detection probe although it is quite easy to diy one using a io breakout box (someone on here made a probe with a couple nails and a paper towel)

also the io breakout box will double as a means to make your own ato

the programming for the apex is quite simple as well, after skimming over the manual i pretty much figured out how to do anything i want with it.

the reefkeeper controller i find is useless for anything other than temperature control and turning lights on and off
spit.fire,

I think it was Vancouver Reefer who used a nail and paper napkin as a leak detector.

I also heard the you can make your own breakout box an easy DIY project without having the need to buy one.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:54 AM
Second Best

spit.fire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by byee View Post
spit.fire,

I think it was Vancouver Reefer who used a nail and paper napkin as a leak detector.

I also heard the you can make your own breakout box an easy DIY project without having the need to buy one.
It is actually quite simple to build, and personally i like the diy boxes more as you can put headphone jack plugs on it instead of the factory screw terminals

only hard part about making one from scratch is getting the cable as its basically an old school printer cable that i cant seem to find anywhere other than online stores

if you want an actual apex one i can sell you one for cheap(er than retail)
Old 01-11-2014, 04:45 AM

craigwmiller is on a distinguished road

I have a significant ReefKeeper install, and the only thing from your list I think missing is the "update status" portion of the mobile app (at least for android, I haven't looked at an Apple version of the app)... The mobile apps I use are read-only.

I haven't found anything that it doesn't do for me (for remote changes, I remote desktop from my phone to a dedicated reef-computer at home for the full experience, so a full mobile app currently isn't a priority for me).

I'm running 7 power bars, 2 high power remote relays, 2 PH probes, 2 temperature sensors, 4 float sensors, leak detection. I have (but haven't used) the lighting controller and pump controllers.

You can often find ReefKeeper equipment on selloff from many people that are bailing to go Apex, and you can get a killer deal (like I have 3 times, and have a sweet system now )
Old 01-11-2014, 05:47 PM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

I have had an Apex running my main reef tank for several years. I am happy with it. There are a few issues (difficulty doing updates, etc) but overall it is good. I have found the customer service to be excellent. Last night I spent an hour and a half getting the update to work, although part of that is I am running Macs and the controller is nowhere near the router and I had some cable problems. So overall this is a great controller but be prepared to put some effort into making it work.

I have have a Reefkeeper lite running my FW plant tank. I am very unhappy with it. The interface is difficult to use. But the worst thing is, during the warranty period, one of the outputs from the power bar stopped working, after a ballast from the cf lights burned out. I contacted Digital Aquatics and they advised me that probably, the failure of the power bar was due to damage from the ballast burning out. Despite the fact that the unit was under warranty, it was not covered. As we all know, cf ballasts burn out every few years and need to be replaced. So whether or not the ballast burning out damaged the controller (if it did, the controller is no good if a burning out ballast is enough to damage it, and if it did not, I deserved free warranty repair), in my view, this controller is not fit for its purpose. If anyone wants a cheap controller let me know.

I tried to save a few bucks by going with the Reefkeeper and I learned my lesson.
Herbie's silent overflow system
Jebao DC 12000 return pump
Jecod CP-40 Cross-flow circulation device
Mini Bubble King 180
Barr Aquatics calcium reactor
Bucket fuge
Old 01-11-2014, 07:07 PM
Vendor

Reef Supplies is on a distinguished road

I may have a biased opinion but Neptune has the best controllers on the market.

Why? Simple

- Best support in the industry. Ask anyone who has dealt with them for simple support or warranty

- Rock solid...Hardly any returns. We sell truck loads (no thats not an exaggeration) and I think I send back something like 2 probes, one display and a lite base unit (client error) in 2 years.

- Easy to operate.

- The MOST upgradable by far. They have modules for everything you can possibly need.

- Availability. There are many Canadian dealers selling Neptune, 2 of which are platinum dealers. Us being one of them.

Neptune all the way!

Ray

http://www.reefsupplies.ca
Old 01-11-2014, 07:45 PM

byee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap View Post
I have had an Apex running my main reef tank for several years. I am happy with it. There are a few issues (difficulty doing updates, etc) but overall it is good. I have found the customer service to be excellent. Last night I spent an hour and a half getting the update to work, although part of that is I am running Macs and the controller is nowhere near the router and I had some cable problems. So overall this is a great controller but be prepared to put some effort into making it work.

I have have a Reefkeeper lite running my FW plant tank. I am very unhappy with it. The interface is difficult to use. But the worst thing is, during the warranty period, one of the outputs from the power bar stopped working, after a ballast from the cf lights burned out. I contacted Digital Aquatics and they advised me that probably, the failure of the power bar was due to damage from the ballast burning out. Despite the fact that the unit was under warranty, it was not covered. As we all know, cf ballasts burn out every few years and need to be replaced. So whether or not the ballast burning out damaged the controller (if it did, the controller is no good if a burning out ballast is enough to damage it, and if it did not, I deserved free warranty repair), in my view, this controller is not fit for its purpose. If anyone wants a cheap controller let me know.

I tried to save a few bucks by going with the Reefkeeper and I learned my lesson.
That SUCKS! A failed ballast does not cause a powerbar to fail.

Reading other articles from other forums, this is a very common approach RK takes to avoid sending warranty replacements to its customers to help minimize costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Supplies View Post
I may have a biased opinion but Neptune has the best controllers on the market.

Why? Simple

- Best support in the industry. Ask anyone who has dealt with them for simple support or warranty

- Rock solid...Hardly any returns. We sell truck loads (no thats not an exaggeration) and I think I send back something like 2 probes, one display and a lite base unit (client error) in 2 years.

- Easy to operate.

- The MOST upgradable by far. They have modules for everything you can possibly need.

- Availability. There are many Canadian dealers selling Neptune, 2 of which are platinum dealers. Us being one of them.

Neptune all the way!

Ray
Ray,

After talking with you this am, you had me convinced. Just need to get my mind around spending $525 on a controller.

Is JL the other platinum dealer?

Thanks!