Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 03-25-2010, 02:44 PM

damtrees420 is on a distinguished road
Default got the new tank but didnt get the sump running is my live rock going to die ?

bought a 135 gallon set up i moved it last night with about 90 gallons of the water and 150 pounds of rock plus sand and i added 15 gallons or fresh but didnt get the sump running (need more plumming) i am wondering how long the rock can stay like that sitting in the water i put a heater in there so its sitting at 80 and i only had a really small pump to move the water in the tank around that i put in but doesnt do much as far as currint plus the water is still dirty from the move is that a issue ? i am going after work to get the plumming and should have the sump going tonight or should i skip work and get on it this morning please and thanks
Old 03-25-2010, 02:51 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

its ok just put a power head in the tank to keep the current going water movement is the key here and temp too. If you want to have the water break the surface that will keep the oxygen.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:55 PM

damtrees420 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmodeus View Post
its ok just put a power head in the tank to keep the current going water movement is the key here and temp too. If you want to have the water break the surface that will keep the oxygen.
thanks will it be good tell after work. it will be around 24 hours total sitting in the water with some but not much movment is this bad ? i could skip work and do it this morning if need be
Old 03-25-2010, 04:11 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Like asmodeus said, you should be fine for the day with simply a powerhead & heater. Don't think you need to skip work. Is there any other livestock in there such as fish or invertebrates, corals etc.?

If you have an air pump kicking around, it would also help keep the water moving a little. Depending on the pump you have running now, some of them come with filtration attachments. That would help clear up the water while you're at work today. I transported my live rock from Vancouver to Vernon mostly just wrapped in damp newspaper. There was some die off, but not bad considering almost 12 hours out of water.

Last edited by mike31154; 03-25-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:56 PM

jassz is on a distinguished road

I had my live rock in a large rubbermaid container for weeks (long story) with just a heater and a couple of small bubble makers to move the water (and a plant light). I think you'll be fine.

PS Congrats on the tank. What are you going to put in it?