Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 02-21-2010, 06:14 PM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by findingnemo1 View Post
I have always put my fuge after the skimmers, especially to help out my pod population as well.
WTF now you chime in Lisa Where were you when I was planning & building my sump I don't know where you where because you don't answer your phone when I call

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 02-21-2010, 06:41 PM

findingnemo1 is on a distinguished road

Actually it was lisa's husband posting, try lisa at the store today.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:07 PM

mr.wilson is on a distinguished road

I prefer to use a simple, less is more system. If your drain is properly set-up with a siphon and partial bypass emergency overflow you will not get microbubbles so bubble traps are not as important as they were in the days of poorly designed protein skimmers.

My sump design is described in this thread http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=969713
basically, it's a zoned sump that utilizes a lot of features in a small space. Detritus settling first compartment with a protein skimmer that moves water to the next compartment to assure that all the water is processed and done so only once.

The refugium is elevated to get optimum use of lighting and avoid algae overgrowth & subsequent die-off. Elevating the macro algae leaves room below to foster the growth of water polishing, non-photosynthetic benthic inverts. I use eggcrate to provide more sites for them to attach, but others prefer live rock.

An emergency overflow bulkhead is a nice feature with a small sump, but a well placed anti-siphon hole in the return line is a sufficient fail safe.

I find mechanical filters to be useful. Just a simple sponge that can be rinsed out periodically. They fell out of fashion when people mistakenly thought they encourage nitrification (residual nitrate), and that corals rely on detritus floating around the tank for food.

Live food from the refugium is unlikely to make it to the display tank no matter how you locate it. The best way to add pods is to shake out a clump of macro algae in the tank every few days and as you harvest it. Copepods etc. stay in the rocks, algae and substrate for the most part so they are unlikely to be sucked up by a pump or overflow a gravity drain.

I don't have a problem with media reactors, but I prefer media bags due to their ease in replacing. The fewer excuses I have to avoid doing it, the more likely I am to do it (clean/replace). It frees up some money and space if you limit fluidized bed reactors to iron based phosphate remover.

Some probe holders are always an asset. Another short coming is an undersized strainer on the sump intake. They tend to clog quickly with stray algae strands and greatly diminish the return pumps capacity.

I use a mechanical float valve in addition to an electrical float switch as a fail safe. If the primary float switch fails and stays on, the secondary (emergency only) float switch is located higher and shuts down the flow. Some of the mounting hardware on the top-up kits out there are a little sketchy, so make sure your sump has a good place to affix it with plastic screws and or cable ties.

It's also a good idea to mount anything that can leak in or at least over the sump. With a relatively small sump such as yours, you can place it on a rubbermaid storage container (like the ones that fit under a bed) to catch drips from servicing, or if you want to get fancy, you can install a drain bulkhead in the rubbermaid container to dispatch bigger leaks.

A common protein skimmer problem with sumps is finding room to extract the top when it comes time to clean it. Rethink your plumbing to assure you have clearance for all of your equipment.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:54 PM

rjengen is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys...I have an idea in my head now of what to do...I'll post some pics when the baffle glass shows up
Old 02-21-2010, 10:12 PM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by findingnemo1 View Post
Actually it was lisa's husband posting, try lisa at the store today.
OPPS sorry Craig, it was nice to talk to you the other day though. Some day we will meet.

Greg

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build