Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-18-2009, 02:53 AM

mitchelljared is on a distinguished road
Default Garlic kills invertebrates?

So I've been soaking my fish's food in garlic and other additives for a while now, but have started noticing other "coincidences" that maybe someone can shed light on. So I use about a mL or two or garlic in with the food, let it soak for an hour or so, then wash it all out with freshwater, over and over till it barely smells of garlic. Then I use that food. We have had a peppermint shrimp and a cleaner shrimp both appear fine one minute, then about 10 mins after the feeding...they ended up dead. Maybe it's coincidence, and maybe they get a good whiff of the garlic and croak. Also some of the corals (bubble, xenia, etc) retract after the feeding, but always recover. Normal?
Thanks in advance.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:39 AM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

I feed garlic directly to my tanks. No ill effects. I don't rinse it after soaking either. Defronst food, soak Selcon and Garlic, then fed the works.

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 10-18-2009, 04:46 AM

Coleus is on a distinguished road
Default Go

i also don't have any problem with my invertables that taking food soak in garlic
________
LadyNight18

Last edited by Coleus; 04-30-2011 at 05:14 AM.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:10 AM
bvlester

I have an angel that will not eat anything with garlic well I read the instructions on the extreem garlic. You can add it right to your water 1 drop per 10 gallons they all get garlic now, It's in the water. I have not lost anything from it yet but the sea hair dose not like it.

Bill
Old 10-18-2009, 02:41 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Ok ....this is probably gonna cause a stir but....I cant remember where I heard or read it, but they think that prolonged feeding of garlic soaked foods may cause liver damage in fish....I only feed with garlic soaked foods a couple time a week...more when I introduce a fish or if there is something wrong with one of my fishies.....as for it harming inverts...Ive never seen a connection between feeding garlic and invert problems
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 10-18-2009, 03:29 PM

chris121277 is on a distinguished road

I have been feeding garlic soaked food every other day for a year now with no ill effects.......in fact that's the only way I can get my CCB and Mandarin to eat frozen food.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:35 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris121277 View Post
I have been feeding garlic soaked food every other day for a year now with no ill effects.......in fact that's the only way I can get my CCB and Mandarin to eat frozen food.
Not to be a jerk but, you can see if your fish have liver damage?
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 10-18-2009, 03:41 PM

chris121277 is on a distinguished road

Well no.....but if you are feeding garlic a couple times a week then thats about the same as me...lol (I was just implying "so far so good")

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
Not to be a jerk but, you can see if your fish have liver damage?
Old 10-18-2009, 04:19 PM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchelljared View Post
So I've been soaking my fish's food in garlic and other additives for a while now, but have started noticing other "coincidences" that maybe someone can shed light on. So I use about a mL or two or garlic in with the food, let it soak for an hour or so, then wash it all out with freshwater, over and over till it barely smells of garlic. Then I use that food. We have had a peppermint shrimp and a cleaner shrimp both appear fine one minute, then about 10 mins after the feeding...they ended up dead. Maybe it's coincidence, and maybe they get a good whiff of the garlic and croak. Also some of the corals (bubble, xenia, etc) retract after the feeding, but always recover. Normal?
Thanks in advance.
What is the brand or type or garlic you are using?
Old 10-18-2009, 04:38 PM

Marlin65 is on a distinguished road

Thats interesting.
Maybe I better cut back a bit then I add probably more than I should.
I never had a problem with any of my inverts or corals.
Rinsing under tap water might be a problem. Or maybe you have a bad batch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
Ok ....this is probably gonna cause a stir but....I cant remember where I heard or read it, but they think that prolonged feeding of garlic soaked foods may cause liver damage in fish....I only feed with garlic soaked foods a couple time a week...more when I introduce a fish or if there is something wrong with one of my fishies.....as for it harming inverts...Ive never seen a connection between feeding garlic and invert problems

Tags
additive, death, garlic, invertebrate, shrimp