Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-24-2005, 10:50 PM

Coldwater is on a distinguished road
Default Question about clams

I have some questions about clams.

1. Are they hardy or sensative?
2. Are there any better ones than others?
3. Do they need lots of food?
4. What type of lighting do they need?
5. Will my fish pick at the clam?

I cant find much on the internet. Thanks for any help.

Matt
Old 01-24-2005, 11:12 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Well, the answer to all your questions are "it depends" but here's my stab at something maybe a little more helpful.

Assuming you are talking of tridacnid clams..

1. Generally they are not regarded as easy to keep, although some people have luck with them. I am not one of those, I've never been able to keep one alive more than 2 years or so. For me, inevitably, something happens, and they die. So personally, I don't think of them as particularly easy to keep. Tank got too warm on a hot summer's day. The clams died. Tank got overfed when I was on vacation. The clams died. My calcium reactor sprung a leak, and was offline for a little while, whilst I got it fixed, and the clams died. It was a cold winter's day when I got the mail-order shipment in, and the clams died. One of them got a disease, and died, and shortly after, all the other clams died. I dosed too little DT's phyto, and the clams died. I dosed too much DT's phyto, and the clams died. I got to the point where I believed if I were to so much look at the tank in the wrong way, I could kill a clam.

That being said, the species can make a difference. In order of "most picky/finicky/sensitive and least sensitive" to "least sensitive and most forgiving" the ratings seem to go: T. crocea, T. maxima, T. squamosa, T. derasa. I'm not sure where T. gigas fits in there, I'd guess to be closer to T. derasa, but they tend to be too large for most aquariums (most people don't really want a clam the size of an ottoman).

2. "Better" is a subjective term. If you mean "pretty and colourful" then T. maxima and T. crocea tend to be the favoured ones. For patterning, T. derasa can be exquisite, as well as T. squamosa. In terms of hardiness, T. derasa is probably the favoured one. If you want something that stays reasonably sized, then T. maxima, T. crocea and T. squamosa are good choices. If you want something that can conceivably get as large as a football, then T. derasa would make a good choice. I have seen, on rare occasion, T. gigas available, but they tend to be less interesting to look at, and these are the ones that you see pictured and they're 1m across. However if anyone in captivity were to actually grow one to that size from a juvenile, I would bow to their superior reef husbandry skills because that would be an extraordinary feat/accomplishment.

3. As adults, they tend to be mostly photosynthetic and rely more upon bright lighting. As juveniles, they tend to need phytoplankton feedings (in addition to lighting).

4. Bright lighting is best. I don't know of too many long term success stories under NO/VHO/PC lighting. Although it is possible that the less-demanding ones like T. derasa may do fine under such lighting setups, the usual ideal setup for them involves halide lighting.

5. It depends on the fish (species). Some fish, yes for sure. Others, no problem. I think butterflies and angels may be the riskiest ones (I don't really know). I've seen several tanks with pygmy angels (coral beaty, flame, potter's), and there were no problems with them picking at the mantles of clams. However I think with angels that it's hit and miss, you may get a "bad apple" and that's all it takes.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:34 PM

Are halide lighting thigamabobers expensive? Also I have a yellow tang, hawkfish, clownfish and two puffer fish. Sounds like this will be a little out of my price range though. .
Old 01-24-2005, 11:43 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

The tang, clownfish and hawfish will be fine, they should completely ignore a clam. I don't really know about puffers, although if I were to guess, I'd guess they'd be fine too.

Halide thigamabobers ... uh ... probably expensive.

What's your current lighting setup? You may still be able to try a T. derasa (and they shouldn't be too expensive, but who knows). Without halides, I'd stay away from T. crocea and T. maxima for sure.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:53 PM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

Puffers eat clams.

In fact that is what you feed them to keep their teeth from overgrowing.

Old 01-25-2005, 12:04 AM

I learnt something new, thanks EmilyB!
Old 01-25-2005, 12:07 AM

bulletsworld is on a distinguished road

Yes indeed they will. They will pick at it till its dead. Puffers love all inverts! Shrimp, clams, scallops, crabs... you name it.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:28 AM

Willow is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Willow Send a message via Yahoo to Willow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsworld
Yes indeed they will. They will pick at it till its dead. Puffers love all inverts! Shrimp, clams, scallops, crabs... you name it.
thats crazy! i like all the same kinda food as puffers

90 Gallon LPS tank - Challice, Acans, Favia, Diplo and Zoos
125 Gallon SPS Coming Soon!
Old 01-25-2005, 01:05 AM

Marcus K is on a distinguished road

Deb, I saw a puffer getting his teeth ground down the other night on daily planet buy a dentist. Now thats a house call. Same night as the Blue/Red lobster episode. I had Jayson from SWC ship me a Squamosa a few months back. Very nice clam, much more colourfull than a Derasa. I have close to 500watts of PC rather than metal halides.

Marcus
Old 01-25-2005, 02:23 AM

I currently have a stock lighting fixture with some light bulb I forget the name of . My puffers are really small though. Like barely two inches long. But they are extremly curious and will bite anything that looks wierd and colourful. With my new tank I also think I might get better lighting. . Also all this lighting stuff makes no sense to me .

Matt