Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-04-2011, 11:11 PM

stellarfly is on a distinguished road
Default Ecotech Marine MP40w ES operating noise

Hey guys,

I just love the look and simplicity and performance of the MP40's. Judging by what I have heard and seen they are awesome. But what about operating noise that the motors make when they are in operation and fully balanced and the such. Are they noisy? I have seen some videos on youtube with some people complaining that their spouses are just not happy. What are peoples thoughts on this? is that one of their drawbacks??

let me know.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:20 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

well.....if your used to koralias or tunzes, with the motor under water then yes.....the vortechs make noise.....but I wouldnt consider them noisy... I have three on my system, one 40, one 20 and one 10....wifey, get used to it
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 11-04-2011, 11:48 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

I watched someones tank a while ago and he had 4 MP40's running, all fairly new. I have to say I found them noisy and pretty irritating because they were pulsing so it was constant winding up and down noise, would have been bearable if it was just set to constant flow but that would defeat the purpose. But it does depend on the person, when I asked the owner if he found it irritating he acted like he couldn't hear anything, but he must have been deaf IMO. I've used Tunzes mostly myself, you can barely hear them even close up with the same pulse effect.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:05 AM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellarfly View Post
Hey guys,

I just love the look and simplicity and performance of the MP40's. Judging by what I have heard and seen they are awesome. But what about operating noise that the motors make when they are in operation and fully balanced and the such. Are they noisy? I have seen some videos on youtube with some people complaining that their spouses are just not happy. What are peoples thoughts on this? is that one of their drawbacks??

let me know.
I have 6 on my tanks 4 40's 2 10's, feel free to come out or stop at a store with ur spouse and see if they can handle the noise.

360 Reef Tank
Old 11-05-2011, 12:20 AM

reefme is on a distinguished road

You should change your signature to 4 mp40s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTang<3 View Post
I have 6 on my tanks 4 40's 2 10's, feel free to come out or stop at a store with ur spouse and see if they can handle the noise.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:27 AM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefme View Post
You should change your signature to 4 mp40s.

360 Reef Tank
Old 11-05-2011, 04:43 AM

stellarfly is on a distinguished road

Dear Blue Tang,

Do you have a store in spruce grove? Im in edmonton and I would love to come by and check out the tank.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:44 AM

sitandwatch is on a distinguished road

I have two and I find them loud, I can hear them now with the tv on

I find that when I leave for work I crank them right up and when I get home I turn them down.

I do find that they work great
Old 11-05-2011, 06:35 AM

Funky_Fish14 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Funky_Fish14

I have two MP10wES... My older one is loud enough that it whines when upstairs but I bumped it a little while ago and I dont think I lined it up correctly when I set it up again, because my newer one is only half as loud. I can definitely hear them in the next room though, they are on 100%... it was a bit annoying at first, but I have good ears and low 'annoying noise threshold' lol. It doesn't annoy my folks who hate annoying noises (like the smallest water drip or pump humming), though. Its not obnoxious like loud droning, but its defintely an audible 'whir' as it winds up and down.

Cheers,

Chris
Old 11-05-2011, 01:46 PM

reefme is on a distinguished road

Marine Aquaria, BigAls, & Redcoral. They have mp40s in their tanks.
I have 2 MP60 in 1 tank, and 1 mp40 in the other. If you want to see it PM me.