Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 05-23-2010, 03:28 AM

Riptide is on a distinguished road
Default $100 tank upgrade

Well I tried to upload some pic's but its not working Well today I managed to pick up a fairly large and rather nice tank for $100....187 gal tank with starfire glass on the front, euro braced and plumbed for a closed loop system (I'll figure out what that means later) It came from the great folks at Marine Aquaria here in Edmonton (you guys are awesome)

Well now I have to figure out what to do with my 90 gal which was(still not even finished yet) an upgrade from my 20 gal....

I have been told,by the wifey if I buy another tank I'm going to be single. I think she actually means it this time I guess this is going to be the last tank for quite awhile...I never knew how addicting SW tanks were.

Attached Images
File Type: bmp 1.bmp (144.1 KB, 166 views)

Last edited by Riptide; 07-10-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:31 AM

Guess I got the pics figured out...it's a crappy pic but you get the idea. Just got it home now I just gotta find a few people around the millet area to help unload it...any takersss....
Old 05-23-2010, 04:39 AM

blacknife is on a distinguished road

My Gf makes the same kinds of threats.. if you still need help millet is not to far away.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:17 PM

Thanks for the offer...I managed to get it unloaded with the help of my loving wifey, who is starting to hate looking at fish tanks Well I guess the next step of the build will be figuring out where to put it...I guess I'm goin to have to start looking for 8 feet of clear wall.

When fairly big tanks like this go in to a house, does anybody worry about floor joists and strengthening the floors? I mean theres going to be 1900 - 2500 lbs on a 6' x 2' footprint. I'd like to hear some thoughts good or bad thanks
Old 05-23-2010, 05:27 PM

Ian is on a distinguished road

If you are perpendicular to your joists you shouls be fine if you choose to put it in a location that is parallel to them then you would need to be careful that the tank is on 2 joists or that you strengthen the floor somewhat. IMO

Old 05-24-2010, 02:10 AM

Thanks Ian I was kind of thinking the same thing...unfortunately I think it's going to be run parallel with the joists. I guess it's gonna mean a trip to Rona to sister some floor joist. I guess I can be thankful it's only a 11' span between the foundation and the main support beam
Old 07-09-2010, 05:24 AM

Well the girlfriend left for vaction (I needed it) and I have started to rough out the stand. All 2x4 construction...almost built....just need a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood for the top....I will post some more pic's soon.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:29 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

So you have both a wifey & a girlfriend? And you can still afford reefing? Wow!!!!!!
Old 07-09-2010, 05:31 AM

Greenmaster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
So you have both a wifey & a girlfriend? And you can still afford reefing? Wow!!!!!!
ROFL... do they live in the same house or do they both just come and visit you

I find it easiest to upload pics to photobucket.com and link them to the forums...
Old 07-09-2010, 08:41 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Sounds kinda dangerous to me. Fun, exciting, but dangerous!!!!