Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-12-2012, 10:02 PM

NIVLEM09 is on a distinguished road
Default Sps turning brown

I was just wondering the causes for sps corals to turn brown?inadequate lighting,high phosphate/nitrate?just curious,as two of mine are losing their bright colors and turning brown
Old 12-12-2012, 10:23 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

All of the above and then some. Wrong light, nutrients too high, they're just in a mood, all can contribute.
My current frag tank is 0ppm on NO3 and PO4, 400w MH and still pieces are turning brown. Often it's just time needed for the tank to become mature, which is not a measurable parameter
Old 12-13-2012, 01:12 AM

Thanks Brad for thee feedback.i've had my corals since 10/6/12 and i think bout 2 weeks ago they started browning.water parameters are good,no NO3/PO4,cal 480,DKH 8,Mag 1350,salinity 1.026,temp 79.tho,lighting is questionable.i only have two 12k/445nm blue,one 445nm blue Ecoxotic panorama modules and each are only 19 watts.but according to Ecoxotic that should be enough to "sustain" SPS and clams,not sure bout that now
Old 12-13-2012, 01:18 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I'd say that the light probably is not enough to keep the colors. Sustain, maybe. Thrive, different story. BTW, your Ca doesn't need to be that high
Old 12-13-2012, 01:47 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the world of brownapora (named by Kien)

Ecoxotics are mostly supplemental lights. The possibly can sustain upto montis but atleast not acros. They have big ego. Just like Brad said, they have "mood".

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 12-13-2012, 01:51 AM

I have to agree with you,it's bit on the high side regarding my leds,i've always have doubt that they wouldnt not be enough for my corals to thrive.just needed a fellow reefer to point that out,i guess what are your thoughts regarding the AI Vega and the Radion Gen2/pro? im spending my x-mas bonus wisely and purchase either one of the three,just unsure atm which one.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:54 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIVLEM09 View Post
I have to agree with you,it's bit on the high side regarding my leds,i've always have doubt that they wouldnt not be enough for my corals to thrive.just needed a fellow reefer to point that out,i guess what are your thoughts regarding the AI Vega and the Radion Gen2/pro? im spending my x-mas bonus wisely and purchase either one of the three,just unsure atm which one.
You should open up a thread for that. There are people who swear by AIs and other swear by Radions. And The new craze is Mitras. I am no expert and that's all I know :P A new thread should fetch some good debate.

WARNING: Get ready to be confused because the world of LEDs are all dark, controversial, technical and expensive!

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 12-13-2012, 01:55 AM

yes,i found that out with Ecoxotic the hard way.thanks for the welcome...i'm finally a member.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
Welcome to the world of brownapora (named by Kien)

Ecoxotics are mostly supplemental lights. The possibly can sustain upto montis but atleast not acros. They have big ego. Just like Brad said, they have "mood".
Old 12-13-2012, 01:58 AM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
You should open up a thread for that. There are people who swear by AIs and other swear by Radions.
Or better yet use the search thread. It's an old topic and probably no need to start another thread.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:00 AM

I've heard good reviews for the mitra but unfortunately i have a wife who loves to yell at me about my spending habits and very expensive hobby.she doesn't nkow i'm planning to buy a new led fixture