Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 03-27-2009, 05:09 AM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital
Default Project 187G

So as some of you saw, in my 75G thread, I came up with plans for a larger system (an upgrade actually).

I got my quote back from Red Coral for a custom built tank yesterday. And was pleasantly surprised. I've decided to go for it.

The Tank:

Dimensions: 60"x36"x20" w/ 24"x6" external "V" Overflow.
Tank Volume: 187G

My crappy Google Sketch-up of the tank, missing a few holes, but you sorta get the idea. The overflow will only be 24" wide, not the 36" like in this diagram.

Unfortunately when I designed the tank, I never actually went out into the room and took measurements, it was just an idea I came up with one night. So I was having some troubles figuring out how I would actually fit this Peninsula style tank in the room, spent a good chunk of time tonight with fishytime(thanks doug) discussing different options as I didn't think it was gonna work out. I tossed the idea that I might have to go with the traditional look. We measured, and figured... nothing we came up with really enticed me..... Until I decided to move some furniture around, and came up with a place to put the tank, as the Peninsula I want. without terribly blocking the view of my current tank for the next 9+ months.

This tape box will probably get shifted towards that Tunze box a bit, it doesn't look at tight as these pictures show it to be. The coffee table and chair won't be staying there. The chair would end up on the 3rd side of the tank for viewing. Sitting from the closest end of the couch, you get an "almost" straight on view of the 36" viewing panel, which will be Starphire, sitting at the far end of the couch, will give you a great view of the 60" side.

FLASH:

Actinics:

For filtration upgrade, I am planning to try out a Hydor 1000.. Lighting won't change a whole lot from my current setup, all I would add is a 4x24W T5 to go on the ends and in between the MHs.

Closed loop system on this tank as well, however the pump will be upgraded from a Snapper to either a Dart Gold or Hammerhead Gold. Return from the sump will probably be the Snapper from my current closed loop on my 75.

Anyways, I'll keep you posted! Tis gon' be slooooow.

Wish me luck!!

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988

Last edited by JDigital; 07-04-2009 at 02:08 AM.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:35 AM

Funky_Fish14 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Funky_Fish14

Sounds like an awesome concept! Good luck with the build!

Can I ask the reason for your choice of a "V" shapped overflow? Is there an advantage to it? (maybe less detrius buildup?)

Im planning an almost identical tank idea - but 48 instead of 60" long, the same width and height... and out of acrylic. Im interested to see how yours goes!

Cheers,

Chris
Old 03-27-2009, 12:31 PM

rocketlily is on a distinguished road

I would like to suggest that you seriously take a look at having all viewable sides done in Starfire glass. Maybe take something else a little slower to save for the price difference in the glass. I would say this tank will be around for awhile and you wouldn't want to regret it a few years from now.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky_Fish14 View Post
Sounds like an awesome concept! Good luck with the build!

Can I ask the reason for your choice of a "V" shapped overflow? Is there an advantage to it? (maybe less detrius buildup?)

Im planning an almost identical tank idea - but 48 instead of 60" long, the same width and height... and out of acrylic. Im interested to see how yours goes!

Cheers,

Chris
Thanks Chris... The reason for the V shaped overflow is to open up some space along that wall of the tank for sump return, CL intake. It should help with keeping detritus build up down as well, but it was more to provide me some space for plumbing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlily View Post
I would like to suggest that you seriously take a look at having all viewable sides done in Starfire glass. Maybe take something else a little slower to save for the price difference in the glass. I would say this tank will be around for awhile and you wouldn't want to regret it a few years from now.
I'll see what the extra cost would be... Only reason I was getting the end panel done was purely for photographing the tank length wise, whereas from the sides, I can don't have to shoot much deeper into the tank than my 75G because I can shoot from both side.

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988

Last edited by JDigital; 03-28-2009 at 02:32 AM.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:03 AM

Funky_Fish14 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Funky_Fish14

Ohh, the space idea is great and makes plenty of sense! Haha. If it was me, I probably would have just build a bigger overflow box on the end and run the plumbing down into it or through it - yours is less work, haha.

Cant wait to see this develop!

Cheers,

Chris
Old 03-28-2009, 04:19 AM

karazy is on a distinguished road

looks like a cool build.

lol, i know 20 inches is high, but it looks tidepoolish in your sketchup drawing :P

should be a nice tank.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karazy View Post
looks like a cool build.

lol, i know 20 inches is high, but it looks tidepoolish in your sketchup drawing :P

should be a nice tank.
Yea, I need a bit more practice with the program... I've got the materials for the tank stand sitting my living room... Wish we could stop getting snow every other day, so I could get to work on the stand, as I don't have any indoor area where I can cut wood.. Ohhh someday I will have a garage..

Old 03-29-2009, 11:42 PM

bignose is on a distinguished road

What is a Peninsula style tank?
Old 03-30-2009, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignose View Post
What is a Peninsula style tank?

3 Sides viewable... similar to this.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:08 AM

bignose is on a distinguished road

I like that idea.