Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 05-15-2017, 04:25 PM

elitesurfer is on a distinguished road

What a character haha. I recently got one as well but mine is behaving well so far - I do have mesh top though.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:54 PM

joe pooh is on a distinguished road

had an orange spot goby jump out. found him dried up on the floor like fish jerky. got another, same thing. i told the guy at LFS and he said, yeah, they do that. i made a lid out of plexiglass. just cut around the pluming and skimmer. i have a blue dot (not to be confused with a blue spot)goby now. used the lid for a couple of months and then stopped using it. has not jumped out yet. perhaps he thinks it is still there. sometimes i think he threatens to jump. will swim near the top for a while or dart 3/4 of the way up and then stay.

stopped using the lid as i find it inconvenient when i do water changes, or pick up frags knocked down by fish. i also like to move my rocks around every so often.

*note about the ho'made plexiglass lid. the tank is 4'x1' i think, 130 gallons. the lid aside from the plumbing was also cut in half to rest on the part of the rim that goes down the middle. it started to sag. i did not think it was an issue, but i mention it because it looks ho'made. my light rests directly on top of it.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:20 PM

604reefer is on a distinguished road

So time for an update... have been leaving the net off the top.

Get home from work at 5pm yesterday and only see 3 fish, but figure ok he's just perching in a normal hiding spot. Take the dog out, feed the dog, go get a slurpy, and come back about 35 mins after originally arriving home. Still don't see Gus...

I start asking my dog if he ate Gus, because I don't see him anywhere IN the tank or OUT. Then I see a bubble in the 2 gal pail of water I have next to the tank. It's been left there for a week since my last WC (was too lazy to just dump it).

Somehow, blenny Gus jumped out of the tank and into the dirty, no air exchange, no heater, sitting stagnant for a week after WC water. He was there at least 35 minutes, probably much longer, gasping for air at the surface.

Scoop the idiot out, dunk him back in the tank, heads to hiding spot and somehow regained all color and started eating again in less than 3 hours. UNBELIEVABLE FISH - HOW MANY LIVES DOES HE HAVE?!?
Old 09-12-2017, 11:22 PM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

I have egg crate with fine mesh netting on top which I have had to repair several times due to jumpers breaking the egg crate it's amazing how much power a 3" fish has