Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-03-2017, 03:14 PM

Animal-Chin is on a distinguished road

Also, if restarting, now is the perfect time to upgrade to a 20 or 30 gallon! You know you want to and really they are no more work, if not less, than a 10.

Thats what I'd do, it would make me feel better about restarting...
Old 11-03-2017, 03:59 PM

lnk89 is on a distinguished road

Ah. I was really hoping to not have to restart!

What is the best way to get the coral off the rocks to clean them? Like the zoa's how do I not kill those in a restart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal-Chin View Post
Also, if restarting, now is the perfect time to upgrade to a 20 or 30 gallon! You know you want to and really they are no more work, if not less, than a 10.

Thats what I'd do, it would make me feel better about restarting...
You know, I have been thinking of selling my 135 gallon freshwater and getting something in a 75 gallon reef or around there. Now might be the time.....
Old 11-03-2017, 04:21 PM

CHEAPREEF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnk89 View Post
Vibrant came on Tuesday, added some to the tank that night. Still haven't seen much difference.
Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
It takes 4-6 weeks to work, buddy of mine used it in his Biocube. Worked great Zero BA after 6 weeks.
Old 11-03-2017, 04:27 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEAPREEF View Post
It takes 4-6 weeks to work, buddy of mine used it in his Biocube. Worked great Zero BA after 6 weeks.
Agreed, I would run a full course of Vibrant before restarting. You will have to be very active in removing dead algae husks to avoid nutrient spikes.
Old 11-03-2017, 04:50 PM

Animal-Chin is on a distinguished road

The pictures look like there is as much hair algae as bubble. If your zoa's are on rocks, I'd take the rock out and in a bowl of tank water start brushing the algae off with a toothbrush or some other small brush. Once you have removed as much as possible I'd give the zoa's a bath in hydrogen peroxide. If you use 3 parts water, 1 part peroxide the zoa's will be totally fine. They'll close up for a day or two but no harm to them at all. The peroxide will only kill the remaining algae. I've done it a few times.

I'm just being honest and I'm sure others have opinions but in my experience, once hair algae gets in your sand bed its almost impossible to get it out. Removing the sand and replacing it is sometimes the only solution but I've never used vibrant, maybe it does wonders?
Old 11-03-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal-Chin View Post
The pictures look like there is as much hair algae as bubble. If your zoa's are on rocks, I'd take the rock out and in a bowl of tank water start brushing the algae off with a toothbrush or some other small brush. Once you have removed as much as possible I'd give the zoa's a bath in hydrogen peroxide. If you use 3 parts water, 1 part peroxide the zoa's will be totally fine. They'll close up for a day or two but no harm to them at all. The peroxide will only kill the remaining algae. I've done it a few times.

I'm just being honest and I'm sure others have opinions but in my experience, once hair algae gets in your sand bed its almost impossible to get it out. Removing the sand and replacing it is sometimes the only solution but I've never used vibrant, maybe it does wonders?
The hair algae is only in a couple spots. There is a lot of hair algae on my one snail though. No matter how many times I scrub it off.

I will try the vibrant for 4-6 weeks. Hopefully with large weekly water changes it will help. If after 4 weeks, im not getting any results then I will start the tear down process.

Changing out the sand is a good idea. I have struggled with algae in the sand for quite awhile. I think I just made too many mistakes with this tank. Hopefully attempt number 2 goes better!
Old 11-03-2017, 07:44 PM

kyl is on a distinguished road

With my experience on Vibrant & bubble algae, it took about four weeks of slightly heavier dosing than written. The bubble algae started to lose colour, and was no longer a hard round ball but more like a mushy pea, very easy to manually remove.

I still have not seen a trace of it return, and I took the emerald crab out. It's probably been 8 months so far.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:44 PM

patpare is on a distinguished road

Where did you order Vibrant from?
Thanks and good luck with the battle!
Old 11-03-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyl View Post
With my experience on Vibrant & bubble algae, it took about four weeks of slightly heavier dosing than written. The bubble algae started to lose colour, and was no longer a hard round ball but more like a mushy pea, very easy to manually remove.

I still have not seen a trace of it return, and I took the emerald crab out. It's probably been 8 months so far.
Good to know. How much is slightly heavier dosing? I have done 2 doses of 2.5ml this week. Just because that was the lowest measurement in the little measurement cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patpare View Post
Where did you order Vibrant from?
Thanks and good luck with the battle!
I ordered it from incredible aquarium. Took awhile to come to me though.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:05 AM

kyl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnk89 View Post
Good to know. How much is slightly heavier dosing? I have done 2 doses of 2.5ml this week. Just because that was the lowest measurement in the little measurement cup.
I believe I was doing the standard dose, but more often.