Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-27-2017, 06:06 AM

GoFish is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
Not meaning to derail this thread, but has anyone with a bryopsis/valonia issue tried raising nitrates?
I found by doing so the 'whatever' bacteria started consuming 'whatever' and my phosphates dropped ... to the point where I had to start over-feeding my fish to keep levels up enough for my corals.
I've since taken both my carbon and gfo reactors offline and still have nearly no algae - to the point where it's not worth my time to scrape the glass anymore.

I started with 0 NO3 and 0.09 PO4.
I dosed 5mls Seachem Nitrogen liquid for 3 days. NO3 rose too fast to 10. Then PO4 dropped to 0.03. Corals started some STN. Stopped dosing and waited a few days. On and on it went.
Finally found a balance and now test PO4 and NO3 weekly to adjust Nitrogen dosing - which has lately been only once a week instead of daily.
Hmmm good to know that higher NO3 can have an effect on algae. I would think over the years that someone would've noticed a relation to higher NO3 = no Bryopsis in 10 days.
I asked someone last week what kind of algae they had. The answer was "the devil".... after googling "devil algae" came up with nothing, turns out he was referring to Bryopsis, this stuff is nasty nate

Ever had it?
Old 01-27-2017, 08:04 AM

Rog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockworm View Post
Vibrant and now fluconazole seem to be two significant products for our reef systems. The only unknown, at this point, is the long term effects on corals, fish and inverts.
Hi Rockworm, what's Vibrant?
Old 01-27-2017, 10:42 AM

Northern Reefer is on a distinguished road

I recently (5 months ago) used Kent M for a small outbreak but had to raise magnesium to 1800. Never lost anything and have not seen a return of bryopsys. Still firm believer in Kent M. I also used it in a previous tank 3 years ago. I found that I had to raise Mg to 1800 and maintain it there for 3-4 weeks. I believe it was introduced from a frag both times from same source. Now I dip everything!
Old 01-27-2017, 01:25 PM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFish View Post
Ever had it?
Ya, I had it clogging up my overflow in my previous tank. Wish I'd known about the NO3/PO4 relationship back then!
Old 01-27-2017, 04:23 PM

rockworm is on a distinguished road

There is a very lengthy thread at R2R, but the first post describes Vibrant.

http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/vib...thread.271428/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog View Post
Hi Rockworm, what's Vibrant?

Last edited by rockworm; 01-27-2017 at 04:27 PM. Reason: quoted wrong person
Old 01-28-2017, 06:50 PM
Gold Member

Frogger is on a distinguished road

Day 2.5 since I dosed. The bryopsis is loosing colour fast and starting to release from the rocks. Although now it appears Cyno is starting to grow on the bryopsos. I haven't had Cyno in years.

I think it might be because I turned off the skimmer. So I have turned the skimmer back on.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:28 AM

kengeroo is on a distinguished road
Default day 2

all livestock doing fine,,
some of my weaker sps,, RTN'd

bryopsis are getting gray in the gills

fingers crossed !

Quote:
Originally Posted by kengeroo View Post
Started does this afternoon ... so far so good .. fish,coral,shrimp,starfish,nudis all okay. ..

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2017, 01:42 AM

Rogue951 is on a distinguished road

Alright so if Vibrant doesn't work I guess I'm trying this next.
Where'd you get the stuff in vancouver?
Old 01-29-2017, 02:03 AM

Been just over 3 days since adding it and at least 90% of the Bryopsis ferns have perished, there are some roots left and as well as some little tube shaped capsules which some have disappeared and some are getting white tips.
Until yesterday I had never seen snails touch Bryopsis. Now it's a smorgasbord! They can't keep their faces out of it

2 Fish, chalices, Acans, mushrooms, zoas/palys, 1 SPS (FF Digitata) all haven't skipped a beat. It looks like the polyps on the digi are extra fluffy like it couldn't be happier.

The Bryopsis that doesn't get as much light tends to take longer to break down, I turned off the Violet and UV LEDs on the 2nd day but probably could've just let them be. Everything else is the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogger View Post
Day 2.5 since I dosed. The bryopsis is loosing colour fast and starting to release from the rocks. Although now it appears Cyno is starting to grow on the bryopsos. I haven't had Cyno in years.

I think it might be because I turned off the skimmer. So I have turned the skimmer back on.
Good news and not so good news, but probably nothing a little chemiclean can't take care of after treatment (if your skimmer doesn't help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kengeroo View Post
All livestock doing fine,
some of my weaker sps RTN'd

Bryopsis is getting gray in the gills

Fingers crossed!
Hmmm, by weaker SPS do you mean they were in poor health to begin with? This would be the first I've heard of SPS having negative effects. It's kinda fun watching it die, the Bry, not your SPS

What does your tank look like now Keng? You quoted your original pics for some reason??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue951 View Post
Alright so if Vibrant doesn't work I guess I'm trying this next.
Where'd you get the stuff in vancouver?
Some people got it from me cause I ordered too much (don't have any left)... I bought it from Payless-petproducts.com in the US and had it shipped to my door. I'm sure if you or someone else orders more, you could post a group buy "type thing" if that would be allowed? You cant sell it on here anyway. The more you buy the cheaper they get on that website. There's been several other people asking me for it so might be a good opportunity to save on shipping and in quantity.

Last edited by GoFish; 01-29-2017 at 02:05 AM.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:38 AM

Here's my progress so far