Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > British Columbia

Old 09-14-2015, 07:25 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

That window on the left end of your tank stand position may cause major algae issues when you have the tank set up, if that is the final spot for this epic tank.

Just something to consider.

Anthony
Old 09-14-2015, 07:40 PM

thebrinc is on a distinguished road

Totally, hear you on the algae Anthony. I'll board that window up and vent out that way... get rid of some of the moisture
Old 09-15-2015, 01:24 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Is there a beam or concrete wall under that wall the tank is against? Which way are the joists running? Have you reinforced the floor at all?

SPS fanatic.

Old 09-15-2015, 04:39 PM

Hey Myka. You bet!

Hence the change in location. Where I initially wanted to put the tank would have meant ripping up half the finished basement below (myself on a budget) for support but this new location is pretty sweet.

The tank will be sitting over a crawlspace, between a concrete perimeter wall and a beam underneath about 3 foot away and perpendicular to the joists... I wall also put 8 supports under the joists directly on top of the slab juuuust to be safe.

Even with my old 140G rimless, in a 2nd story apartment, I was always worried about vibration and bouncing floorboards. Hate having people over and then having to tell them to not all stand around the tank at once because the floor might break. lol.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrinc View Post
Hey Myka. You bet!

Hence the change in location. Where I initially wanted to put the tank would have meant ripping up half the finished basement below (myself on a budget) for support but this new location is pretty sweet.

The tank will be sitting over a crawlspace, between a concrete perimeter wall and a beam underneath about 3 foot away and perpendicular to the joists... I wall also put 8 supports under the joists directly on top of the slab juuuust to be safe.

Even with my old 140G rimless, in a 2nd story apartment, I was always worried about vibration and bouncing floorboards. Hate having people over and then having to tell them to not all stand around the tank at once because the floor might break. lol.
@140-gallon story.

Sounds like good planning for the new tank, I'm not sure you need 8 supports though - just a small beam with a support on each end would be good. Or do a pony wall.

SPS fanatic.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:01 AM

Default Balls

Soooo...

After spending much time and effort on getting the main panels in place and the main seams siliconed last night, I found a ton of bubbles and irregularities in some key places.

More than I'm willing to live with... this is going to be a lot of water and livestock and I just wouldn't be comfortable with bad seams.

That's what $150 worth of RTV 108 looks like, don't think it's going back in the tube like that ;p

Ah well, I've stripped silicone before. I should be back to square-one in a week or so, assuming the new silicone arrives in good time. I can only get it from the states and then they insist on shipping it as HAZMAT, charging an arm & a leg for duties.

Just wish I knew what went wrong? I've built multiple tanks with the black RTV, maybe now I'm just seeing the bubbles for the first time?

Maybe it's the time involved with laying the 10ft beads (thought my hand was gonna fall off!), the stuff starts to skin a bit before I can clamp it.

Last edited by thebrinc; 09-23-2015 at 12:03 AM.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:16 PM

Are you using spacers? Why not order a case of Aqueon silicone? Is that RTV stuff stronger or something? I think "a popular aquarium manufacturer" uses that SCS 1200 stuff.

SPS fanatic.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:04 PM

Yeah I was using 1/16" spacers... but one got pushed out when we clamped.

The Momentive RTV 100 series is an adhesive, as opposed to the usual silicone which is a sealant, so it has way more tensile strength. With 10 foot seams I want the extra piece of mind and the price difference would have been okay if I didn't have to do the job twice!

Anyway, I have the panels apart & in the garage again thanks to some help from a new found friend. Going to try the dremel trick to get the silicone off faster than the razor blade route.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:40 AM

You're sure that adhesive is reef safe? I've never heard of it. How did you find out about it?

SPS fanatic.

Old 09-24-2015, 04:17 AM
Second Best

spit.fire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrinc View Post
Yeah I was using 1/16" spacers... but one got pushed out when we clamped.

The Momentive RTV 100 series is an adhesive, as opposed to the usual silicone which is a sealant, so it has way more tensile strength. With 10 foot seams I want the extra piece of mind and the price difference would have been okay if I didn't have to do the job twice!

Anyway, I have the panels apart & in the garage again thanks to some help from a new found friend. Going to try the dremel trick to get the silicone off faster than the razor blade route.
might be cheaper to get some ge scs1200 from concept, reef safe and its a "structural" silicone (adhesive)

Tags
500g, diy, kahuna, sechelt, sunshine coast