Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-09-2011, 08:17 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about
Default effective way to kill aiptasia (now with moar lasers!)

So with more room to have a look at my pre-established rocks I had been finding a few small buggers in addition to the large 3 or 4 I have known about for months (and did nothing about because they were not easily gotten to).

1. grab a wooden bbq skewer
2. remove top of your bottle of crazy glue
3. DIP and coat the first inch of your skewer
4. sneak up on pest and lay the skewer across it and twist the skewer

The glue forms a skin so my first few attempts were fails. Then I found that continuing to rotate the thing does a great job of breaking that skin and coats the vermin. I've killed 6 this way including two that were far underneath a colony's 'umbrella'. With this technique access just means a hole or gap you can horizontally insert your skewer.

Only have 1 left and it's moved within the rockwork and lived thru three 2-part epoxy attacks. It's glue time!
Old 12-09-2011, 08:47 PM

Money pit is on a distinguished road

I've always used Kalc a syringe and a piece airline tube. This has worked good for me until this tank. They just keep coming back, so I'll give your method a try, sounds like a good plan of attack.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:47 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Personally I have always used a syringe and Kalk.

I take about 5ml of water, mix with about 1ml of Kalk and then suck it in the syringe. I turn off all pumps to calm the tank down, then go to work.

If I can actually stab the bugger I do, but if it pulls into the rock, I inject the rock area where it is with the Kalk and then also lay some of the mixture on the surface. It always works for me on the first try everytime.

Once applied I leave the tank calm for about 15 minutes or so, then power everything back up. Kalk will then be lifted and float around to eventually dissapear, but always works. Only catch is that if you have too many pests, then you need to do this in many attempts, as you don't want to add too muck Kalk to the tank.

You can go to shoppers to buy the syringes, I just bought 3 new ones with larger blunt needles for $1.62 incl/GST.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk

Last edited by globaldesigns; 12-09-2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:05 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Oh I thought you had to actually inject for kalk to work hence me never trying it. Sounds cheaper too so I may give the traditional method a shot if I find any new ones.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:09 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

I use aiptasia X but it's expensive and they keep coming back. Your tric is good but must be pretty hard to do on the tiny buggers that hide within zoanthids colonies. I hate those with a vengance. They anoy my zoanthids and yet they are so small that they are very hard to kill as they retract too fast. It is also tricky to put aiptasia X or any other stuff in a zoanthid colony, so it is a real bummer. I am thinking of getting a few berghia.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:17 PM
Gold Member

Luckilly I can't keep zoas alive for the most part Hoping a larger playground for my tank means the Kole's harassing grazing will be spread out and they can flourish.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella3d View Post
I use aiptasia X but it's expensive and they keep coming back. Your tric is good but must be pretty hard to do on the tiny buggers that hide within zoanthids colonies. I hate those with a vengance. They anoy my zoanthids and yet they are so small that they are very hard to kill as they retract too fast. It is also tricky to put aiptasia X or any other stuff in a zoanthid colony, so it is a real bummer. I am thinking of getting a few berghia.
That I can't comment on, as I have no more zoa's... My hippo tang developed a taste for them and basicaly ate thousands of exotic ones I had. Hence I have no more, except for the odd pest one.

Nudi's work well, I bought 2 for my sump, and they bred. They cleaned up the sump really well. But, they died off, because they had no more food. Time has passed, and some aptaisa have come back in the sump. I don't bother anymore, there are not many, and my DT is clean of them. I just keep on top of things.

Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Old 12-10-2011, 12:47 AM

Parker is on a distinguished road

I have a file fish that doesn't eat them, I have peppermint shrimp that don't eat them. I use Kalk paste a well, I coat them and it seems to work.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
Oh I thought you had to actually inject for kalk to work hence me never trying it. Sounds cheaper too so I may give the traditional method a shot if I find any new ones.
Me thinks injecting is the best, but I have never had an issue with injecting around and layering on top. I think the key to my success is that I leave the talk calm for a bit, and the pest starts to come back out and injests.

Cheap and effective, give it a try.