Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 03-30-2009, 05:07 PM

reefy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2rotties View Post
Mine never bothered with SPS, but he LOVED Frogspawn, scolmias, donuts, zoas and mushrooms.
I have an juv emperor with frogspawn, hammerhead it seems okay tho but yea its hit and miss because my previous one wont stop neaping on my coco worms but this one wont eat go near by it, so GSP good luk....
Old 03-30-2009, 05:13 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom R View Post
Hi Justin

That is my thoughts exactly.

I would rather have the Angels in my tank nipping at the odd zoe or coral than not have the Angels at all. I do however stay away from the meaty LPS corals.

Tom R
So what angels do you have?

I still haven't made it over to see your tanks

I do have a decent amount of Zoas and do care about them...but I mean, I can always sell them off. For LPS, I have a small hammer, frogspawn and thats it really. I also have some leathers and gorgonians but i can't see them caring about that.

I was hoping to add some acans and maze corals which may be out.

But really, I can live with that if it means keeping an angel like the Emperor

Has anyone had an Emperor that nipped sps?

Oh and obviously finding one that is eating is important. So will the fact that I feed my fish so much and all throughout the day help? I figure it must stop them from getting bored or hungry and going after corals.

Last edited by GreenSpottedPuffer; 03-30-2009 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer View Post

I do have a decent amount of Zoas and do care about them...but I mean, I can always sell them off. For LPS, I have a small hammer, frogspawn and thats it really. I also have some leathers and gorgonians but i can't see them caring about that.

Oh and obviously finding one that is eating is important. So will the fact that I feed my fish so much and all throughout the day help? I figure it must stop them from getting bored or hungry and going after corals.
I think he has 2 majestic, one in his softies and one in his sps... nice and fat
Old 03-30-2009, 06:04 PM

Tom R is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Hi Justin

In my 180g I have a 5" Majestic, a Flame and a Whitetail blue Pygmy.

In my 125G I have 7" Majestic, a Flame and an Orange Peel

In my 25G LPS tank I have an Eibli

I am not sure about Angels and Acans. My Angels have never bothered with my Hammers and Frogspawns.

Tom R
Old 03-30-2009, 07:26 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishoholic View Post
I think michika had one in her tank with sps and it left her corals alone but I'm not 100% sure.
I actually had two in two separate tanks over the years, and you are correct, neither touched anything ever. Both tanks had clams, SPS, and a few peices of LPS, and maybe three small colonies of zoa. I attributed my success in these cases to feeding regularly, and feeding a variety of foods. The unfortunate thing is that both instances ended poorly in that the angels did not live past 18 months, however I suspect it was related to how they were caught rather then any other factor. The first angel was around for a little over a year, and the second was only with me for about 7 months.

Both of my angels were juvis that I purchased when they were under 4" in total length. I found that both had a preference for purple nori over any other type, and that they liked mysis best. Not sure if its really all the relevant, but maybe somebody can use the information.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom R View Post
Hi Justin

In my 180g I have a 5" Majestic, a Flame and a Whitetail blue Pygmy.

In my 125G I have 7" Majestic, a Flame and an Orange Peel

In my 25G LPS tank I have an Eibli

I am not sure about Angels and Acans. My Angels have never bothered with my Hammers and Frogspawns.

Tom R
Good to hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michika View Post
I actually had two in two separate tanks over the years, and you are correct, neither touched anything ever. Both tanks had clams, SPS, and a few peices of LPS, and maybe three small colonies of zoa. I attributed my success in these cases to feeding regularly, and feeding a variety of foods. The unfortunate thing is that both instances ended poorly in that the angels did not live past 18 months, however I suspect it was related to how they were caught rather then any other factor. The first angel was around for a little over a year, and the second was only with me for about 7 months.

Both of my angels were juvis that I purchased when they were under 4" in total length. I found that both had a preference for purple nori over any other type, and that they liked mysis best. Not sure if its really all the relevant, but maybe somebody can use the information.
Yes, very helpful. I am hoping that going the route I am to get this fish will mean less chance it was caught with poor techniques. I don't know if I would buy one from a store...
Old 03-31-2009, 04:12 AM

spoot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well he is coming in May and is bringing me some coral already . He is just paying for the permits. Im not sure if he wants to being fish though.
Nice! There is no import restrictions on tropical fish for personal use, so you wouldn't even need any extra permits
Old 03-31-2009, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoot View Post
Nice! There is no import restrictions on tropical fish for personal use, so you wouldn't even need any extra permits
Oh ok, good to know.

He said he needs them for corals. Even though the corals are coming from his tank.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:18 AM

wisesam is on a distinguished road

I suppose hard corals need CITES to clear.
Ornamental fish or inverts you don't. I've brought back shrimp from Taiwan before without any problem. Just declare them and they'll take a look at the agriculture inspection station, which wasn't much hassle for me.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:44 AM

Lightbulb

Justin:
based on my experience I think its very helpful to buy a sponge when you get your emperor because it really keeps mine busy the whole time so that it wont bother the rest of your corals.