Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 02-18-2008, 12:48 AM

Kabong is on a distinguished road
Default Herbie Question?

Is it the gate valve on this setup that makes all the difference?
Looking at the design of the top of it in theory couldn't you cut the top off your durso and accomplish the same thing for the top?

I have a durso that comes out the back.

Would cutting off the top to let air have unrestricted flow, along with replacing my ball valve with a gate valve give me the Herbie effect?
Old 02-18-2008, 01:35 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

With a Herbie the valve sits just above the sump, stricting flow into the standpipe causing the water to back up so that's all that's flowing (no air).
Old 02-18-2008, 01:56 AM

Todd is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Todd

Quote:
Would cutting off the top to let air have unrestricted flow, along with replacing my ball valve with a gate valve give me the Herbie effect?
Doing so with only one drain would practically guarantee a flood. Why is it that you have a ball valve on there now? Restricting return flow should only be done with a back up flow.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:37 AM

So if there is no air intake down the drain is the GPH lower then a regular setup?

Quote:
Why is it that you have a ball valve on there now?
I Have a ball valve on my current setup to control flow to the refrigium
Old 02-18-2008, 03:14 AM

As Todd said, you need two standpipes for a Herbie (primary and backup) as asking for flood without.

It's not that bulkheads flow less, just flow is balanced to return pump. Skimmin has Herbies, 2-1.5" drains, and flows ~2000gph so not like bulkheads running less (but must be closed to max'd for gravity).
Old 02-18-2008, 04:08 AM

I got it.
So Technically it would probably work, But I'd just be begging for a flood without a back up pipe.

Quote:
It's not that bulkheads flow less, just flow is balanced to return pump. Skimmin has Herbies, 2-1.5" drains, and flows ~2000gph so not like bulkheads running less (but must be closed to max'd for gravity).
According to the RC drain size calc you need a minimum 1.85" for 2000GPH Giving a difference of 1.15" So it's got a fair bit of spare.

Any one else running a Herbie setup could you give your drain size + your Aprox flow.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:32 AM

untamed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabong View Post
I got it.
So Technically it would probably work, But I'd just be begging for a flood without a back up pipe.

Any one else running a Herbie setup could you give your drain size + your Aprox flow.
Yes, you can silence a single overflow pipe using a gate valve and run a Herbie using only 1 pipe. But it would be stupid.

My system uses twin Herbies (4 actual drains). Each is 1.5". Flow of about 800-1000 gph through each side.

Here's an idea that might work. Add a second overflow pipe that comes up from your primary overflow pipe that will flow if the overflow box level goes too high. In the picture below, the red dot is your gate valve. You would need to get the height of this emergency drain just right.

Call this the "Untamed" mod.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436

Last edited by untamed; 02-18-2008 at 05:35 AM.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:44 AM

Another modified Herbie/Durso here
Old 02-18-2008, 05:48 AM

untamed is on a distinguished road

That was such fun that I designed another one. This is one that could be done with a single "through the bottom" bulkhead overflow drain. It is a bit wild, but I do think it would work and be safe.

(Mind you...if something blocks your only bulkhead, you've got a problem whether you've done this mod or not!)

Untamed Mod II:
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 02-18-2008, 04:08 PM

Chin_Lee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Chin_Lee
Default untamed mod II

MOD II would work quite well and in fact it will be almost identical to a toilet being flushed. The siphon would be quite strong once the flow starts to go over. If you don't put a strainer on your bulkhead, i can't see too many things that can block up a bulkhead other than a plastic bag or BIG fish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by untamed View Post
That was such fun that I designed another one. This is one that could be done with a single "through the bottom" bulkhead overflow drain. It is a bit wild, but I do think it would work and be safe.

(Mind you...if something blocks your only bulkhead, you've got a problem whether you've done this mod or not!)

Untamed Mod II: