Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 01-30-2009, 08:53 PM

SATELLITE is on a distinguished road

i have a cleaner wrasse. had it for just over a year and i moved twice. still doing what he is doing and he is a tropper..
Old 01-30-2009, 09:19 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by naesco View Post
Philybean posted
I do not feel that the responsibility of buying only "certain" fish should be on us. If Robert Fenner and Scott Michael feel that they should not be purchases, they should deal with Whole Salers or even countries to ban the collection of them. The fact of the matter is, if a fish is in the store, healthy, eating and I feel that my tank will be a good fit for it and if I want it, I will buy it.``

Fortunately, most reefers do not agree with you. Most reefers strive to obtain optimal conditions for the critters they keep.

IMO the responsibility to ensure that the fish/coral can reasonably survive in captive conditions is on you and only you.
Think about it!!
Alot of our tanks are better homes for these fish than most LFS stores. Wouldn't you rather see a CW taken home and given much better conditions/chances of survival than those at a LFS. It's already out of the ocean, and no chance of going back, so yea there is more than the responsibility of ME to take action against collection. I'm not saying the systems at a LFS are horrible, but in comparison there is ALOT more "in/out" activity, greater stress levels, and ich/disease, than most of our tanks at home.

Think about it!!

Who's saying phillybean doesn't strive to keep his tank in good condition for the critters he keeps?? I don't remember seeing him mention anything about his "lack of husbandry".

There has already been a couple people mentioning they have kept them long-term (longer than you defined as Long-term)...

If you spent half as much time in the rest of the forum as you do here in "Marine Fish" policing the masses, I think we'd all drop dead of shock.

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 01-30-2009, 09:21 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by naesco View Post
A week or two to a couple of months.
The cleaner wrasse will be out and about as normal and the next day its gone. There are rare exceptions and unfortunately most reefers are reluctant to post their failures (often multiple attempts to keep them). Some reefers don't post because they cant take posts like JGs. The very rare successful keeper of cleaner wrasse are very happy to post their success. Human nature, eh.

Every author of books in the marine hobby will confirm the same and will tell you they are best left in the ocean to do their cleaning duties.
Most LFS staff will tell you the same as well. No one will tell you they are easy to keep.
I remember you saying to me not to keep one and I've had mine for almost a year now, he's fat healthy and happy and I for one am gald I got him. We also got one for my boyfriend's Dad and his cleaner wrasse is doing great. He has had his for about 6 months now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Reefer View Post
If I can do it twice beyond a week or two, or a couple of months, I should start buying lottery tickets again for that rare winfall. Not saying everyone should now go out and buy a Cleaner Wrasse, but I wouldn't say it's rare, under that definition of long term.

Cheers,
I have to agree with you. Say if we get a lotto ticket together just imagine the odds we'd create!
Old 01-30-2009, 09:24 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDigital View Post
Alot of our tanks are better homes for these fish than most LFS stores. Wouldn't you rather see a CW taken home and given much better conditions/chances of survival than those at a LFS. It's already out of the ocean, and no chance of going back, so yea there is more than the responsibility of ME to take action against collection. I'm not saying the systems at a LFS are horrible, but in comparison there is ALOT more "in/out" activity, greater stress levels, and ich/disease, than most of our tanks at home.

Think about it!!

Who's saying phillybean doesn't strive to keep his tank in good condition for the critters he keeps?? I don't remember seeing him mention anything about his "lack of husbandry".

There has already been a couple people mentioning they have kept them long-term (longer than you defined as Long-term)...

If you spent half as much time in the rest of the forum as you do here in "Marine Fish" policing the masses, I think we'd all drop dead of shock.
Good points
Old 01-30-2009, 09:30 PM

SATELLITE is on a distinguished road

mine seems to be the boss of the tank. every new fish i get that goes in, he goes and visits and does the check up. great fish to have.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:03 PM

TJSlayer is on a distinguished road

I got one froma guy that was tearing down his tank, he had it for about a year and a half and I have had it for about another 4 months so far.

Mine also seems to investigate and eat a bit of almost every type of food I put in the tank. My copperband is a heck of a lot more picky, but is eating mysis form my hand. As well as brine, but Mysis has nore nutrients from what I've read so I now stick with that...
75G, 100 lbs LR, Inwatter Stingray LED's, 25 Gallon Sump, 24wt UV, hermits, Snails, pep, fire & cleaner shrimps, Blue Throat Trigger, Perc Clowns , Yellow Tang, Coral Beauty, Blue Regal tang, RBTA, Coral Banded Shrimp, Checkerboard Wrasse, Many Corals, Royal Tux Urchin
Old 01-30-2009, 11:19 PM

brizzo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillybean View Post
Nazerine hooked me up with a trap that worked to catch the Six Line AND my Angel at the same time...only when I walked in the room the six line bolted.

Im gonna start trying again, he made an awesome trap

Your sixline would take mine, yours is a fat mofo! he must eat the beating hearts of the fish he kills...
You just had to go and get a snack, eh ?
Old 01-31-2009, 12:38 AM

spoot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Reefer View Post
You missed the point. Redefine the definition of "long term". A week or two to a couple of months is not long term, IMO. If I have my current Cleaner for 3+ years, then I will consider it a success. Until then, the jury is still deliberating.

You also missed the part where I admitted to failing on the second wrasse, due to my own neglect of not feeding the resident fish first before the wrasse went in the tank.

Cheers,
I've had mine for about 6 months, and he is perfectly healthy and regularly molting. Eats anything he can get his hands on. Pretty sure he helped polish off a goby that went missing. I wouldn't consider success either if it has not live more than 3 years in my care.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:42 AM

Powertec is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoot View Post
I've had mine for about 6 months, and he is perfectly healthy and regularly molting. Eats anything he can get his hands on. Pretty sure he helped polish off a goby that went missing. I wouldn't consider success either if it has not live more than 3 years in my care.
You must be talking about a cleaner shrimp not a cleaner wrasse as i have never seen a wrasse molt.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:37 AM

0sprey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The real problem with that philosophy is that, by purchasing the fish, you are creating a market for it. So they'll order another one... and another... and another. So long as they can sell them, they'll keep bringing them in. Demand creates the harvest; the fish don't just end up in the shop automatically.
Unfortunately, many people are convinced that they need a cleaner wrasse to have a healthy system... so I don't see demand for them falling to a standstill any time soon.