Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 01-30-2009, 05:04 AM

0sprey is on a distinguished road

For me, the biggest problem with purchasing cleaner wrasses is the fact that they are such an important species in the wild. It's kinda irresponsible, especially with so many cheap, hardy alternatives out there.
Just my two cents.
Let us know how the little guy fares.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:56 AM

Johnny Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Johnny Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoot View Post
What is considered long term?
Quote:
Originally Posted by naesco View Post
A week or two to a couple of months. ....There are rare exceptions....
I've had three Cleaner Wrasses in 4 years. Been in the SW hobby only 4 years, so not all that experienced. First Cleaner was bought Dec 9/05 (I keep a log) and died Dec/06. Why? I moved. Cleaner didn't survive the bucket trip. But one year ain't bad. Second Cleaner was bought May/07 and died the same day. Why? I neglected to feed the resident fish first. My Bursa Trigger (RIP) ate the Cleaner for dinner when the lights came on. Third Cleaner was bought Aug 2/08 and still going strong. Six months. Rare? If I can do it twice beyond a week or two, or a couple of months, I should start buying lottery tickets again for that rare winfall. Not saying everyone should now go out and buy a Cleaner Wrasse, but I wouldn't say it's rare, under that definition of long term.

Cheers,

Last edited by Johnny Reefer; 01-30-2009 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Added a word I meant to put in the first time.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:23 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Like I said, several posters who have been successful will post.

Here is what a couple of expert fish authors have written.
Robert Fenner
This is the genus of obligate Cleaner Wrasses most celebrated for establishing stations in the wild that are frequented by "local" reef fishes and pelagics for removing parasites and necrotic tissue. Perhaps shocking to most aquarists, all the Labroides rate a dismal (3) in survivability, even the ubiquitously offered common or Blue Cleaner Wrasse, Labroides dimidiatus. None of the Labroides should be removed, not only for the fact that almost all perish within a few weeks of wild capture, but for the valuable role they play as cleaners.

Scott Michael
These wrasses are engaging fishes, but conscientious reef aquarists should refuse to purchase them.

I agree 100% with Osprey.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:30 AM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

I have had three different ones now. First one lived in my tanks for three years before jumping Second one lived with the first one for about 8 months before being eaten by a Lion fish (in front of me) and the current one is...I think 8 months too now and fine.

I do hear they can be hard to keep but I have found them to be easier than many other species of wrasse.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:41 AM

Rbacchiega is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillybean View Post
That eats Mysis and Brine like a PIG!
if it's eating, I don't see why this fish doesn't have the possibility of lasting.

I had one for nearly a year before it decided to try walking on the carpet
I've got so much glue on my pants it looks like a Friday night gone horribly wrong.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:47 AM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

I've only had one, and not by choice, that ended up in a tank too small with not nearly enough/large enough fish to clean, and died after about 6months. I really do think it would still be alive if it had been in a larger tank with more/bigger fish to clean/feed from.

I won't own another one for the simple fact that I think they are rather ugly fish. Not because I don't think I could keep it alive "long term".

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 01-30-2009, 07:38 AM

phillybean is on a distinguished road

I'll keep everyone updated on how it goes. Given how much he is eating, I do feel that I should be able to keep him alive. I think he is a awesome looking fish.

I have researched them in the past so I know the issues with them.

Every fish in the reef is important to it. I do not feel that the responsibility of buying only "certain" fish should be on us. If Robert Fenner and Scott Michael feel that they should not be purchases, they should deal with Whole Salers or even countries to ban the collection of them. The fact of the matter is, if a fish is in the store, healthy, eating and I feel that my tank will be a good fit for it and if I want it, I will buy it.

I prefer to purchase "aquacultured/bred" fish and corals whenever possible, however as we all know "aquabred" fish are not as common in the hobby as we would like to see. Given that such a small percentage of reefers are dedicated as much as the ones on Canreef, do research on the fish and strive to make their tank as fitting as possible for the creatures living in it, I feel good knowing that this fish has a better chance of surviving in my tank than it will in others.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:17 PM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Philybean posted
I do not feel that the responsibility of buying only "certain" fish should be on us. If Robert Fenner and Scott Michael feel that they should not be purchases, they should deal with Whole Salers or even countries to ban the collection of them. The fact of the matter is, if a fish is in the store, healthy, eating and I feel that my tank will be a good fit for it and if I want it, I will buy it.``

Fortunately, most reefers do not agree with you. Most reefers strive to obtain optimal conditions for the critters they keep.

IMO the responsibility to ensure that the fish/coral can reasonably survive in captive conditions is on you and only you.
Think about it!!
Old 01-30-2009, 08:30 PM

Johnny Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Johnny Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by naesco View Post
Like I said, several posters who have been successful will post. .....
You missed the point. Redefine the definition of "long term". A week or two to a couple of months is not long term, IMO. If I have my current Cleaner for 3+ years, then I will consider it a success. Until then, the jury is still deliberating.

You also missed the part where I admitted to failing on the second wrasse, due to my own neglect of not feeding the resident fish first before the wrasse went in the tank.

Cheers,
Old 01-30-2009, 08:36 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

I had a problem with my six line beating up a leopard wrasse. I used a bottle trap with a mirror inside. The sixline was smart and would get out just as fast as he could swim in to it. So I cut another peice of plastic from another water bottle and put it in the trap and made a small hole for a peice of fishing line to tie to it. The other end of the line was outside of my tank. When he went inside I was able to pull on the fishing line which closes off his exit. The trap was in my tank for 4 days before I caught him. Once I rigged up this trap door with the fishing line I caught him within 5 minutes. Maybe make a bigger enterance hole and get him used to the trap, the mirror helped alot as it made him a little pi$$ed as he thought there was another sixline in the tank.