Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-21-2015, 11:47 PM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

Keep in mind that when you finish the TT method with the fish, your tank will still have ick in it.
You usually should keep your DT empty for 8 weeks. Otherwise there is a big chance that your fish could be re infected.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:54 AM

George is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeschutter View Post
Btw I decided to go with the tank transfer method after all. After all the reading I've done I just feel that that's the safest and easiest. So I will be switching the fish to a different tank with same water parameters every three days for six transfers.
Good choice....but why 6 transfers instead of 4?
Old 02-22-2015, 03:02 PM

sdeschutter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Keep in mind that when you finish the TT method with the fish, your tank will still have ick in it.
You usually should keep your DT empty for 8 weeks. Otherwise there is a big chance that your fish could be re infected.
I read that you have to keep your DT fallow for 10 weeks. Apparently ich has a life cycle of 72 days, so that's what I will do. I have a 33 gallon sitting around so once the fish have finished their treatment I'll set that 33 up and put them all in there until the 72 day follow has come to an end.

Quote:
Good choice....but why 6 transfers instead of 4?
I will have to do a minimum of five transfers. The reason is, it's probably gonna take me a day to two days to catch all my fish out of my DT. I caught two yesterday but still have three more. I set up a bottle trap. It works good but you have to be patient. So right now I have two fish sitting in a 15 gallon tank once I catch the other three either today or tomorrow then I'll start my TT. So I guess I was think I may as well do a total of six. Besides I read that some do six even though 4 seems to work. You never know I may change my mind as I get to the tail end of the treatment.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:32 PM

reefwithareefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihaivapler View Post
I have 55w Uv sterilizer on my tank and I have no problem.I have 4 blue tangs and they are all happy and never had any issues with ich,so I think the uv light is a very good prevention.
I did not mean to imply that a UV was not good. I just meant that if you do not run the right amount of water thru it per hour, you also kill the good things is all.

I would just rather kill just the ich and bad parasites by running the proper GPH, then run the wrong GPH and kill everything. As I mentioned before, most people, including myself, believed you just hook up any old pump and away you go.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:49 PM

reefwithareefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihaivapler View Post
Yes I have.I have mushrooms,lps(hammer, octospawn, candy cane,alveopora, elegance coral,plate coral) and sps(birdnest, acropora,catpaw poci) and they are all healthy growing really nice,except for some sps,some of them they grow very slow but I would blame the lights for that,have led lights.I have them for 2 years now and I hado the uv on for about a year and I didn't notice no difference on my corals after I set it up.I think most off the fears about uv is not true, it doesn't kill the good bacteria,this bacteria lives on rock surface and just a small amount free swimming.I have it It works perfectly for me I have no issue with my fish, they never get sick and I have about 10 tangs wich are known for getting ich super fast but since I have the uv is disease free
This is untrue, it does kill good bacteria and micro organisms (food) etc if the wrong gph is used. Is it detrimental to a tank? No. Does it harm corals No. Yes, it does kill/control the ich etc as well, hence why we use it.

It just means you need to add typical supplements to the tank to replenish what the UV kills.

It is a choice, on whether you would rather use supplements/medicines or make sure your pump is rated for the UV sterilizer. I personally would rather let mother nature control the natural processes than have to add chemicals etc, never mind the expense etc, so I made sure I used the proper sized pump to kill ich and bad bacteria instead of killing the good stuff as well

The manufacturer supplied this info to me as well as the link explaining and showing what gets killed at certain GPHs
Old 02-25-2015, 11:28 PM

Trigger Man is on a distinguished road

I keep hearing people say if you use copper you can never have invertebrates in there again, and it will affect corals, etc. I started my first marine tank in 2005 and it was a fowler. For that tank it got Cupramine whenever needed, and needless to say, at first I didn't QT fish so that product was used multiple times. I then decided to get into LPS so ran a bit larger amounts of carbon for a few months, then added LPS, then a full clean up crew, then came the SPS. Some of the older guys on here may remember my old tank, as it carried many rare fish as well as lots of hard to keep SPS. The leaching of copper that is always talked about never happened. I have seen the same results from many reefers that I dealt with. Maybe we were all lucky I guess . . .
Old 02-25-2015, 11:43 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger Man View Post
Maybe we were all lucky I guess . . .
Maybe, maybe not. I'm not about to test that on my reef I've read it enough times to believe there's something to it, so I'll err on the side of caution.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:10 AM

Okay guys sorry it's been a while since my last post but I've been really busy. Actually I've had a bit of a challenge trying to trap one fish in my tank(dam clown). It took a week so now I have all the fish in one tank they've been there for three days as of tomorrow morning and I will start my second TT tomorrow. Did I mention I decided to do that? Yeah I didn't think it was wise to do copper.

I've also started a quarantine tank three days ago and it is now cycling. Lesson learned two new hobbyists be sure to set up a quarantine tank. There's a lot of work involved in getting this all organized but I feel like I'm starting to make some headway. I also was able to get a 55 gallon plastic food barrel that I've now turned into a mixing station. One of the best ideas. I'm so happy I did this it works great and it makes the changing of water so much easier.

I'm not going to do a UV sterilizer. As long as I have a quarantine tank then I will be able to protect my tank from various diseases.

I'll post some pics of my new hospital station and quarantine tank as well as that 55 gallon.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:05 AM

The mixing station. You can see a little bit of the ROI line on the right.

Attachment 13928

Last edited by sdeschutter; 02-07-2016 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:06 AM

Mixing pump, heater, and float valve.

Attachment 13929

Last edited by sdeschutter; 02-07-2016 at 08:17 PM.