Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-15-2011, 12:12 AM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

I tried peroxyde dip for bryopsis and it does go away but it return in a few weeks. I suspect it is deeper in the rock than the peroxyde can get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy! View Post
I might try the peroxide dip. Has anyone else used this method?

I don't have anything but snails, crabs, and lots of pods in the tank currently. So i'm not worried about cooking anything with the boiling water. Its just tough to see the stands, it seems like they are anchored everywhere. I have one rock coated in the stuff in a 4" X 8" patch thats thick as crap. It really took off when I stopped dosing Kent M.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:21 AM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

Man, I'm thinking of killing these rocks completely with a bleach bath at this point!! I never want to have to deal with it again.

They call it addiction for a reason...
Old 12-15-2011, 01:23 AM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

Kent Tech M and GFO from BRS worked for me. At one point I had a full square foot of bryopsis throughout my tank (if you were to add it all up) and now I don't have any.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 12-15-2011, 02:58 AM

Jan is on a distinguished road

I had it for about a year in my 180 gal.It began to grow after I started using the NP pellets.At that time I also stopped the uv cause that's what the instructions were.I spent at least 2 hours 2x/wk pulling it off.
Things I did to get rid of it:
1) I have a 12 gal tank running that I use for various things. In it are 3 crabs(a blue legged,a calcinus elegans and an emerald crab). After scrubbing the rocks that I could get out of the main tank(with Coral RX),I put them in the little tank one by one and they did a very good job of eating most of it.They would not eat it if I put them in the big tank. After awhile the bryopsis would start growing again after I had put them back in the 180.
2).I plugged my UV back in.
3) I got my phophates lowered using cyanostarver(foz down). The pellets didn't do anything,although I still have a small amount of them running.Also use GFO.
4)I switched to Kent magnesium.(1350)
5)I got a long spined urchin,3 tuxedos,and a bunch of snails.
6)But the very best were 6 lettuce nudibranch(slugs) that I got from the Reef Shoppe.It took Kelly awhile to get them in but they sure did the trick. Unfortunately they have all died cause there wasn't anything left for them to eat.
I still get abit on my powerheads and on the overflow,but nothing like it was.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:43 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

did the Tech-M, knocked it back completely then started to see again after a few months (and now with cyano) as bad as before. Changed my MH bulbs, still manually working on small patches but seems grow has slowed to almost nothing.

A pincushion urchin (similar here) I picked up seems to avoid it
Old 12-15-2011, 06:17 AM

DEAD_BY_DAWN is on a distinguished road

Vertex Biopellets then a course of Microbactor 7 all the algae in the aquarium melted within a few weeks and never came back.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:56 PM
Gold Member

So I have decided to either bleach or boil the rocks to start brand new. I have done both before, but the bleaching would do a heck of a lot better in the warmer summer months as far as evaporating the bleach in the sun. So boiling might be better.

I'm using all dry marco rock for the new display anyways, and I want these nice pieces in the main display. So this Byropsis crap has to be completely erradicated.

So here is the question: BOIL OR BLEACH???

Last edited by FishyFishy!; 12-22-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:03 AM

Ryanst is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy! View Post
So I have decided to either bleach or boil the rocks to start brand new. I have done both before, but the bleaching would do a heck of a lot better in the warmer summer months as far as evaporating the bleach in the sun. So boiling might be better.

I'm using all dry marco rock for the new display anyways, and I want these nice pieces in the main display. So this Byropsis crap has to be completely erradicated.

So here is the question: BOIL OR BLEACH???
Couldn't you just dry it out? Would that take to long?
Old 12-23-2011, 05:30 AM

High tide is on a distinguished road

Sure, you could totally kill your live rock and start fresh if you so wish, but if experience has taught me anything, another pest (or the same) will eventually end up on your rock. If you're not against adding another fish to your system, you could try a Scopas tang. I've found these fish to be extremely versatile algae eaters and have consistently eaten Bryopsis in the several different systems I have added them to. They have taken care of it every single time.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:18 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by High tide View Post
Sure, you could totally kill your live rock and start fresh if you so wish, but if experience has taught me anything, another pest (or the same) will eventually end up on your rock. If you're not against adding another fish to your system, you could try a Scopas tang. I've found these fish to be extremely versatile algae eaters and have consistently eaten Bryopsis in the several different systems I have added them to. They have taken care of it every single time.

Yeah unfortunately I have tried scopas, yellow, blue, and kole tangs. None of which helped. I've also tried lettuce nudibranch's, Kent Tech M dosing, boiling water aimed at the stocks, and various snails, shrimps, urchins and crabs. I must have the most stubborn case ever.

Last edited by FishyFishy!; 12-24-2011 at 03:23 AM.