Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Edmonton

Old 10-26-2009, 04:30 AM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Okay...now I'm starting to get stressed...I've been trying to prepare for ordering a custom tank and after researching things like crazy, I came to the conclusion to use one of either Aquarium Obsessed in Toronto or Concepts in Edmonton. Both quoted on the tank directly to me (no LFS involved) and now I hear that both have closed shop.

When did Concepts close? Why? Any info would be great!

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:38 AM

Dez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseepman View Post
Okay...now I'm starting to get stressed...I've been trying to prepare for ordering a custom tank and after researching things like crazy, I came to the conclusion to use one of either Aquarium Obsessed in Toronto or Concepts in Edmonton. Both quoted on the tank directly to me (no LFS involved) and now I hear that both have closed shop.

When did Concepts close? Why? Any info would be great!
Sent PM
Old 10-26-2009, 06:38 AM

Rahim101 is on a distinguished road

Concept Aquriums has closed thier doors for good.
They are ordering ALL thier tanks from Bow Valley Aquariums in Calgary.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:15 PM

eugene is on a distinguished road
Default welcome

i dont claim to know of the cheapest places around but there is a little store on the northwest side of edmonton called aquarium designs unlimited. all the tanks that they make are made from acrylic so they give a lifetime warranty on them. the guys who are in there are pretty easy going and fun to deal with. i really like to stop by and see what new stuff they bring in every once and awhile.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:58 PM

Ryan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Ryan

After spending all that money for their new building that surprises me they closed up shop.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:04 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
After spending all that money for their new building that surprises me they closed up shop.
Doesn't surprise me
They started out with high potential but I think the higher price combined with garbage service and warranty honor may have played a small role, I know a few very dissatisfied customers.

rjengen, if you're just looking for a standard RR tank just check out the local stores in Edmonton, almost all of them should have a few setups in the range you're looking for. Big Als, Aquarium Illusions, and even chain stores like Petland to name a few. Shouldn't have a problem finding what you need off the shelf, you don't need to have one custom made.

Last edited by sphelps; 10-26-2009 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:25 PM

eugene is on a distinguished road

aquarium designs doesnt use either of those companies for their tanks i think the company is called tenecor
Old 10-26-2009, 09:17 PM

Dez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene View Post
aquarium designs doesnt use either of those companies for their tanks i think the company is called tenecor
Marine Aquaria also uses Tenecor for acrylic tanks. They can do custom as well!
Old 10-29-2009, 12:55 AM

rjengen is on a distinguished road

Just an update for you guys...First thanks for the inputs. I got in touch with Kevin at Red Coral in Calgary (16hr round trip to pick this tank up when it's ready...yikes!!!) and he's going to be putting the tank together for me. I was a little picky about the size of the tank, but other then that I've given him pretty much a clean canvans to work off of...in otherwords...make it look nice!

It's going to be a 75g (ish) with starphire front, eurobraced top, polished and beveled corners. Bottom is going to be drilled for the sump, and a closed loops system, and the back will be tinted black. So here's to my happy dance

Last edited by rjengen; 10-29-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:20 PM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road

Good choice for the shop your going with. I purchased my custom from red coral a year ago and am very happy with the quality of the tank. Sounds like your getting almost exactly what I purchased but taller (i went 48x18x16) and with all the same features. Two things i would suggest is black silicone being used and get an external overflow rather than an internal which i wish i did. Its worth the trip and i am sure you will be happy with the tank. here are a few pictures of what your tank will look like (but taller):