Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-06-2016, 04:48 AM

iceman86 is on a distinguished road
Default Stray voltage issue

I've lost a few fish in the last couple months and I can't figure out why. Corals all seem fine and the parameters are always in check. Today I decided to do some extra poking around and test for stray voltage. Ive never gotten a shock from putting my hand in it so I didn't think I had much if any.

I pulled out the multimeter and tested, I got a reading of 120v in the water!! I started unplugging one device at a time to find out which one it is. When I unplugged the zeo reactor the voltage dropped to 50v. I unplugged everything else and can't get it any lower.

I plugged one multimeter prong directly into the wall and the other end into the tank and I still got a reading of 50v. I took it one step further and took a cup of tank water and plugged one prong into the wall and the other into the cup. I got a reading of 0v. I also tried other plug ins and got the same results.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?
Old 09-06-2016, 06:00 AM

iceman86 is on a distinguished road

Figured it out. It's a crappy canadian tire power bar I had in the wall outlets before the tank. It's a 3 prong outlets, took it apart and it's only 2 prongs wired up. Garbage it went!!!