Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal > Canreef Nano Tank Build Contest #1

Old 10-30-2008, 02:58 PM

superduperwesman is on a distinguished road

What does the photo contest have to do with a tank contest?? ahah. No entry fee... and if you miss out there's another one next month... not a minimum of 6 months later.

But if we are going to use parallels... People love it when you buy back into poker games... a chance for them to win more money when I'm rolling in with half the chips.

The way I see it... I'd be at a disadvantage so I thought others might prefer it... especially if there is a late entry fee but no worries if it's gonna cause even more trouble.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:18 PM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

Well, it doesn't have anything to do with the photo contest, except for the parallel it creates. Contests have rules and deadlines, and I guess that's the point. I don't really care either way, to be honest, but I think the fun of the contest has already been compromised to a certain degree, and I'd hate to see yet ANOTHER topic of debate, disagreement, panties-in-a-bunch-edness.

So when DO we draw the line? Can anyone enter at any time? Simply because they bring an entry fee and are at a disadvantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduperwesman View Post
What does the photo contest have to do with a tank contest?? ahah. No entry fee... and if you miss out there's another one next month... not a minimum of 6 months later.

But if we are going to use parallels... People love it when you buy back into poker games... a chance for them to win more money when I'm rolling in with half the chips.

The way I see it... I'd be at a disadvantage so I thought others might prefer it... especially if there is a late entry fee but no worries if it's gonna cause even more trouble.

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 10-30-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_Iron_Chef View Post
Well, it doesn't have anything to do with the photo contest, except for the parallel it creates.
True which is why I made another one... that seemed to be just as valid

Quote:
Contests have rules and deadlines, and I guess that's the point.
Also true... but being the first contest it seems like some of these rules and deadlines are getting kinks sorted out which is why I thought I would check if the deadline to enter was possible another "kink" that might need changing if requested??

Quote:
I don't really care either way
Obviously you do

Quote:
I think the fun of the contest has already been compromised to a certain degree, and I'd hate to see yet ANOTHER topic of debate, disagreement, panties-in-a-bunch-edness.
The contest does look fun which is why I want to enter... and being the first go around I thought some people might understand others being hesitant to enter at first... and possible change the entry date once we had a clear idea of how things would go.

And I do like that amidst all the confusion / debate things seem to be working out, becoming more organized, and people are having fun. The contest is something that looks like it will be very good for everyone on the site... and I guess I was just hoping to get a piece now that I can clearly see that.

My panties are very unbunched

Quote:
So when DO we draw the line? Can anyone enter at any time? Simply because they bring an entry fee and are at a disadvantage?
I guess that is exactly what I was asking... and trying to figure out... if the answer is no then like I already said no it's big deal and I guess I'll miss out, but if yes good ... and next time we know we have a early entry fee of $20 and a late entry fee of ___

Last edited by superduperwesman; 10-30-2008 at 03:50 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:52 PM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

Quote:
I don't really care either way, to be honest...
Quote:
Obviously you do
Miss Cleo? Is that you?

Anyway, I was just trying to play devil's advocate here. It doesn't directly affect me in any real way (unlike the huge amount of PVC cement I spilled on my carpet this weekend).

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 10-30-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Miss Cleo? Is that you?

Anyway, I was just trying to play devil's advocate here. It doesn't directly affect me in any real way (unlike the huge amount of PVC cement I spilled on my carpet this weekend).
ahah I love it when that happens... I generally tend to get it on my cloths and the little bit of hair that I do have
Old 10-30-2008, 04:30 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
the little bit of hair that I do have
Are you fantasizing again? Oh.. burn!

I'm just saying since the deadline for water is Nov 15th that's kind of the real deadline here. After that we can't let more people in. Let's keep true to the "it's all for fun" spirit for once and let Wes in, provided he can meet the deadline.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:09 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Are you fantasizing again? Oh.. burn!

I'm just saying since the deadline for water is Nov 15th that's kind of the real deadline here. After that we can't let more people in. Let's keep true to the "it's all for fun" spirit for once and let Wes in, provided he can meet the deadline.
So I gotta chase entry fees down for another 2 weeks for anyone that wants to enter before Nov 15, just because they weren't sure what to do 2 weeks ago?

None of us knew what to expect, because this is the first one, and yet 12 of us still jumped on board and took the chance. It's pretty easy to say let others in when you don't have to give up some of your personal time organizing monies collection/transfers/cheque cashing...

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 10-30-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDigital View Post
So I gotta chase entry fees down for another 2 weeks for anyone that wants to enter before Nov 15, just because they weren't sure what to do 2 weeks ago?

None of us knew what to expect, because this is the first one, and yet 12 of us still jumped on board and took the chance. It's pretty easy to say let others in when you don't have to give up some of your personal time organizing monies collection/transfers/cheque cashing...
I have paypal or can send an email money transfer... with a little extra for your time ahah

Come on have a little more confidence in yourself... you should just see it as another $20 in your pocket (or tank) when you win... right?

Next time I guess

My mom said it's just because you're all scared so I'll try to keep the tears to a minimal... I guess in a way it's kinda flattering ahaha

ahah But Seriously...that's cool. I just thought I'd check... but don't want to make work for anyone.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:51 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Quote:
I have paypal or can send an email money transfer... with a little extra for your time ahah

Come on have a little more confidence in yourself... you should just see it as another $20 in your pocket (or tank) when you win... right?

Next time I guess

My mom said it's just because you're all scared so I'll try to keep the tears to a minimal... I guess in a way it's kinda flattering ahaha

ahah But Seriously...that's cool. I just thought I'd check... but don't want to make work for anyone.

Haha.. I gotta throw up the counter-arguement... It might not seem like it for everyone, but keeping track of everyones payments originally was not enjoyable, and it's not fair if I only let you in the next 2 weeks before the 15th.

I think I'll regret this.............

If anyone wants to join late, these are the stipulations:

- $20 Entry
- $5 Late Fee
- $1.50 Paypal Fee (if I don't make you cover paypal fees, we will loose more (because of the $5 late fee, pp fees go up more) than we already did in the first batch of contestants, however I do have to thank Ryan Lap for covering the PP fees on his entry)

$26.50 Total.

- PAYPAL ONLY. (Checks/Money Orders/EMT's take too long to process)
- Do Not miss the Nov 15th Deadline. (ie: Tank must be up and running wet)

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 10-30-2008, 08:08 PM

Unfortunately you guys might not be the hard ones to convince...now I need to convince the fiance... I'll keep you posted ahah

Kidding... I do what I like... as long as she says it's ok