Since you asked so nicely...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=825647
http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/76226...low-reduction/
http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6...ain-40927.html
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...d.php?t=701787

SPS fanatic.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:35 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

All good links, thank Myka but I am 100% positive all of them are referring to the 3/4" model not the 1" model. Also this chart that was linked On the nano-reef site shows that @ 720 GPH in you get 660 GPH out which makes it only 10% loss. I will be running a much bigger pump then that.

I think I might order one & test it out on my current tank to get at least a first hand testing & if it doesn't work well for my big tank it should be just fine for my seahorse tank.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 04-04-2013, 01:35 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grizz View Post
All good links, thank Myka but I am 100% positive all of them are referring to the 3/4" model not the 1" model. Also this chart that was linked On the nano-reef site shows that @ 720 GPH in you get 660 GPH out which makes it only 10% loss. I will be running a much bigger pump then that.

I think I might order one & test it out on my current tank to get at least a first hand testing & if it doesn't work well for my big tank it should be just fine for my seahorse tank.
Aren't the 3/4" and 1" built with the same design? At least they are cheap to test out - good idea. Good luck!

SPS fanatic.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:16 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grizz View Post

The crappy thing about the sqwds is that they are not servicable. Mine only lasted a year before it siezed on me. Mine was the 3/4" version, so maybe the 1" will be better. I have to say, that while it was working, it created some awesome random alternating flow in my tank.

I'm surprised that Sphelps hasn't chimed in here yet. He's good at this planning stuff! He's helping me create the multi-sump-multi-pump setup for my 7 footer.

They call it addiction for a reason...
Old 04-04-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Aren't the 3/4" and 1" built with the same design? At least they are cheap to test out - good idea. Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy! View Post
The crappy thing about the sqwds is that they are not servicable. Mine only lasted a year before it siezed on me. Mine was the 3/4" version, so maybe the 1" will be better. I have to say, that while it was working, it created some awesome random alternating flow in my tank.

I'm surprised that Sphelps hasn't chimed in here yet. He's good at this planning stuff! He's helping me create the multi-sump-multi-pump setup for my 7 footer.
The 2 sizes are similar but the 1" model is completely serviceable with all removable parts to be able to clean and replace if needed.

Forgot to add this link to the data on makers website:
http://www.3iqventures.com/literature.html

And a link to the 1" model
http://www.3iqventures.com/oneinch.html

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner

Last edited by The Grizz; 04-04-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:21 PM

Well I ordered one of the 1" model SCWD's and did a little test on it with a DC10000 Pump. Now this is not a total scientific test but its simple for anyone to do to get a close water volume movement value.

I simply took a Rubbermaid tube and filled it with water and had a bucket with exactly 18 liters marked in it. Put a 5' - 1" hose onto the pump and timed how long it took to hit the 18 liter mark in sec's, divided 60 sec's by the time in sec's, multiplied that by 18 liters to get liters per minute & then multiplied that by 60 Min's to get liters per hour.

Then I added in the SCWD with a 6" piece of 1" hose to the pump and 2 - 5' pieces of 1" hose coming out of the SCWD. Did the same time test as above.

Here is what i have come up with:

Waveline DC10000 pump alone was 6480 LPH / 1712 GPH ( little far off there 10000 LPH claim )

Waveline DC10000 pump with SCWD was 5400 LPH / 1427 GPH

SO needless to say i am not impressed with the flow rate out of the DC10000 and have to decide if I just go with it or add in 2 more return pumps.

I wanted to test the OM 4way that I bought used last year but it doesn't rotate, it is one of the magnetic versions and if I had look at it closer or know it was the mag version I would not have bought it.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner

Last edited by The Grizz; 04-16-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:28 PM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

Hmmm, a bit disappointing flow rates for sure. I assume there was 0 head too. Been thinking of these for my application but with 12' of head there's no way I'll get even close to what I'll need I guess. I wonder what the 20,000 will be like....
Old 04-16-2013, 09:28 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

Was the DC10000 hooked up externally, or submerged?

That kinda sucks, as this was the setup I was hoping for on my closed loop (only with an OM 4 way). I can only imagine the flow restriction out of an OM4..

They call it addiction for a reason...
Old 04-16-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daplatapus View Post
Hmmm, a bit disappointing flow rates for sure. I assume there was 0 head too. Been thinking of these for my application but with 12' of head there's no way I'll get even close to what I'll need I guess. I wonder what the 20,000 will be like....
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy! View Post
Was the DC10000 hooked up externally, or submerged?

That kinda sucks, as this was the setup I was hoping for on my closed loop (only with an OM 4 way). I can only imagine the flow restriction out of an OM4..
It is very disappointing & I used more 1" hose then I know I would on my tank. I had the pump submerged in the large rubbermaid bin and there was ZERO lift. I think there would be a lot more restriction on a 4way for sure.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
Old 04-16-2013, 09:37 PM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

I wonder what the difference would be if you hooked up a full 1 1/4" line or even upped it to the 1 1/2" line. From my firefighting days there's a significant difference.