Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 01-16-2016, 01:31 AM

Etaloche is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Brian, looking at the overflow you currently have, you could drill the back of your tank to line up with the bulkheads in the front of that overflow.
I was actually thinking this exact same thing but I ended up picking up a nice unused glass hole overflow from a member here and he gave me a amazingly reasonable price too.
Unfortunately the bulkheads don't quite match up so I'll have to make my own external overflow box since these overflows can't really be set to run herbie or anything.
Anthony offered to help tomorrow at the BBQ to drill the holes for a small fee but since the kit came with a drill bit I might attempt to tackle this myself and save a couple bucks too.
So I've been told that it's ideal to drill holes with a drill that has a clutch but I only have a drill connecting straight to the wall with no clutch that I'm aware of. Is there high risk to use what I have or should I borrow tools that are better?
Also, do the diamond coated drill bits work well on acrylic/polycarbonate? I have a 1" hole saw but these bulkheads on the overflow are 1.5" so I was thinking of just using the drill bits after I cut glass to cut the holes in the external box too.

Quote:
The thing about an inline TDS meter is that it only tests that one line. If you have a handheld one then you can test the tap water, you can disconnect the hose between the RO and the DI and check the RO performance and when it needs to be replaced, and you can check the product water after the DI as well. Also, the inline TDS meters can be tricky to get an accurate calibration on them since they need flowing calibration fluid. I find handheld TDS meters easier to use long-term. That's just my preferred method though.
My inline TDS meter actually arrived today (amazon prime is simply the best), but I might actually just grab a handheld one down the line as they cost almost nothing and you're right, it does sound convenient to have one you can test any water with.

Last edited by Etaloche; 01-16-2016 at 01:35 AM.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:49 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Get Anthony to do it. If you had an old tank sitting around you could practise, but if he's willing to do it, then I'd take him up on it. He's also knowledgeable enough that he should he able to spot if it's tempered.

You can't use diamond bits on any plastics - they will heat up and melt the plastic which then sticks on the bit.

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-16-2016, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Get Anthony to do it. If you had an old tank sitting around you could practise, but if he's willing to do it, then I'd take him up on it. He's also knowledgeable enough that he should he able to spot if it's tempered.

You can't use diamond bits on any plastics - they will heat up and melt the plastic which then sticks on the bit.
OK I'll take it to Anthony's tomorrow.
Ah dang now I need to find a 1.5" hole saw Haha
Old 01-16-2016, 01:22 PM

Anthony doesn't have one? Is there a Princess Auto where you live? I get them there...they're only $15.

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-16-2016, 05:08 PM

Fishy! is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Cool build so far! I love how you keep changing your mind, to try and get the best possible end result. I am notorious for this, it drives my wife nuts. I call it being adaptative and dynamic Tagging along.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Anthony doesn't have one? Is there a Princess Auto where you live? I get them there...they're only $15.
I'll ask him today when I'm over at his place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy! View Post
Cool build so far! I love how you keep changing your mind, to try and get the best possible end result. I am notorious for this, it drives my wife nuts. I call it being adaptative and dynamic Tagging along.
I know exactly what you mean! I'll tackle a project with the mindset of keeping it simple and low budget, but as I start to get going and do more research I'll be like "well I mean I already started so I might as well make it the best I can" and before I know it I'll have gone through like 5 revisions. I like how you call it, I'll use that term in my future resumes haha
Old 01-18-2016, 06:28 AM

Had a really fun time at Anthony's BBQ this weekend and finally got my tank drilled thanks to Anthony.

His tanks were beautiful!

Finally drilled the tank! Anthony got both holes done in less than 5 minutes I think, it was quite impressive.

Now I just need to find some help to get an external box built for the overflow. Anyone good with working with acrylic/polycarbonate that can help out?

Old 01-18-2016, 06:40 AM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etaloche View Post

Finally drilled the tank! Anthony got both holes done in less than 5 minutes I think, it was quite impressive.
Nice. That Anthony is good people!

Quote:
Anyone good with working with acrylic/polycarbonate that can help out?
Why aren't you doing it in glass? You're practically an expert now!

Last edited by WarDog; 01-18-2016 at 07:01 AM.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
Why aren't you doing it in glass? You're practically an expert now!
I might actually have just enough scrap glass left over to do this. I'd have to take it back to Anthony to get some 1" holes drilled
I would have to strip the paint off the section of the back too in order to silicone the box on and because I don't know how the paint would affect the livestock

Last edited by Etaloche; 01-18-2016 at 07:10 AM.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
I might actually have just enough scrap glass left over to do this. I'd have to take it back to Anthony to get some 1" holes drilled
I would have to strip the paint off the section of the back too in order to silicone the box on and because I don't know how the paint would affect the livestock
Looks good! Make the outside box the same size as the inside box so you can't see into it from inside the tank.

SPS fanatic.