Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 02-06-2017, 07:46 PM

Ryanerickson is on a distinguished road
Default A Shallow sps reef

Hi everyone I wanted to share my new tank with the community, it was started in late September of 2016 for now the display is a frag tank of mine 48" long 24"deep 12" high. The tank is nothing special but works fine.

My goal is to achieve easy to maintain smaller sps reef. (That is algae free) in the past I've grown lots of sps with overall a pretty good result but I've always had my buddy bryopsis, bryopsis drives me crazy but regardless of what I've tried I could never kill it.

September 24 was the day the tank was moved in the house to a spare room now the (tank room). That day I also added a small 30 gallon tank for sump and plumbed it all up, By night it had live rock in tank and water running thru it.

Next day I started on the lights my plan was a lot of light in a hood I will build.
6x48"t5
2xai sol blue
1 250 halide
I'm using this combo hoping for the best color, I want the halide for the deep sps color they achieve, ai sol are for fluorescents they can produce and I like the dawn and dusk effect , I'm only running the blue channels white is off. And the t5 are for the fast growth I find they help with also they do a great job of removing most shadows in rock work.

Pic with all lights

Added a white trim for finish

The following week anything I wanted to keep from my frag table was fragged up and moved to new tank also added a few fish and my rock flowers . For the most part only high end sps frags made the cut as I was pretty picky with the limited space in this tank. I also added a older vertex skimmer a buddy let me borrow.

In the following week I also added 60 left hand hermits 4 golden cowries 10 trochus snails for clean up crew and 3 peppermint shrimp for aptasia. Well weeks later the aptasia was gone but they also ate 20 or more rock flower babies it was then I realized this combo will not work so I ordered a new sump, I got a eshopps adv-300 it has a nice refugium that I could use for my rock flowers.

Couple weeks later the sump showed up as it came from Ontario I'm in bc, by this time I've also added a bubble king mini 200.

Back side

Last pic has new skimmer in old sump also shows the brightwell bio brick and bio pellets in reactor.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:03 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

Where are the rest of the pictures on the sump.....show us the real goodies Ryan!

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 02-06-2017, 08:08 PM

Next step was to install all this for the most part it will be all piped in pvc the reactor on right was set up to run cheato it grew pretty well tell my phosphates dropped way too low .

Around this time I also started using the aquaforest sps method,I started with salt and pro bio s with np pro for nutrient reduction.

at this time my nitrate is unreadable and phosphate was .06 since the cheato reactor was done I added rowa to get the phosphate a bit lower I'm looking to get it around. 03 before I started feeding the A,B,V,E sps food from af

Old 02-06-2017, 08:09 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bblinks View Post
Where are the rest of the pictures on the sump.....show us the real goodies Ryan!
There coming buddy doing this all from my phone
Old 02-06-2017, 08:25 PM

Added a float to skimmer lid

Also found with all the light I was getting pretty high temperature so added the Chiller too the loop.

Chiller will be in garage too keep heat outta house in summer.

That's also my ato water above the Chiller.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:47 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

Here we go!

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 02-06-2017, 09:01 PM

Few pics of earlier rock scape

Rock flowers in the refugium

On the bottom right I plugged the return that comes directly from the drain before the filter bags, I found a lot of debris was going thru this tank then straight into my return pump and into display. To fix the issue of no water returning to refugium any more I piped my gfo reactor to drain into the refugium.

Also week or so after being introduced to new home one or so rock flowers had babies again.

Rock flowers janitor
Old 02-06-2017, 09:28 PM

Few pics of the livestock up top I lost a lot of color when I moved everything over plus the lower nutrients was a bit of a shock. Everything is slowly coming back and growing finally.

Bleached out rrc pc

Tenius from wardog

Rr loomy

Jf beach bum looks like Apple berry at best right now came in looking pretty shitty gaining color every day.

There's lots of other pieces I haven't really took pics of yet everything is still small.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:31 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

Looking good buddy!

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 02-07-2017, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tang daddy View Post
Looking good buddy!
Thanks Chris