Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-25-2017, 01:45 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasq40 View Post
My wifes favorites are all the softys ha so im trying more so to fill in the left side that's more bare, I'm some what careful when working around polyps as when i got into the hobby i read that article about the guy,his wife and the dogs getting sick from boiling the rocks. I've never gotten sick when accidentally taking a swig of water or from getting water on my cuts in my hand( My hand pretty much always have cuts and scabs on them from my other hobbies) so I've always just assumed that there safe ha.
Yes, those pics you posted are the type of Palys that are typically associated with Palytoxin poisoning. That doesn't mean that yours have any level of Palytoxin, or it could mean they're deadly. Without lab testing, you won't know for sure unless you get sick. Since they haven't made you sick yet, the likelihood is lower, though it's also possible that you just haven't disturbed them enough. Regardless, I'd suggest you continue to be careful.

Either way, the polyps are still quite chemically aggressive to other corals in the tank - all soft corals are, but some more than others. If it was my tank, I'd be removing a bunch of rocks and bleach them to get rid of all the polyps. They just take over!

You will have a hard time making the tank thrive like you say you want to without seriously diminishing the soft coral population.

Or, you can just enjoy it for what it is. If you really want to, you could start up a second tank for LPS only (and maybe some SPS).

SPS fanatic.

Old 02-25-2017, 02:54 AM

Sasq40 is on a distinguished road

The only real spot I'd like to get filled in a bit more is the right side I'm quite happy with

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk